ADVERTISEMENT

Yo! Fort Waynians… where do you eat in town?

Well dang, now I'm going to have to check it out.

I lived in the Fort for a few years and made some lifelong friends there. Big IU fans.

Fort Wayne is just the right size to have enough stuff to do but small enough to know most places and have the local feel.
You lived here and never had a sausage roll? For shame!

Basically, it's a calzone that you smother with BBQ sauce. It's divine.

Reactions: DANC
Just curious, is Mckinnie pizza still around? they used to have the best grinders.Sorry, didn't mean to wander down memory lane. Started trying to come up with places for the OP and hell, most of them are long gone.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Well dang, now I'm going to have to check it out.

I lived in the Fort for a few years and made some lifelong friends there. Big IU fans.

Fort Wayne is just the right size to have enough stuff to do but small enough to know most places and have the local feel.
I didn't live in Fort Wayne, but went there a lot with family because we were in the general area. I still follow Fort Wayne sports. Since being in Pennsylvania Summit City Sports has been very valuable because there are a lot of FW Sports and the general area.

Reactions: DANC
You lived here and never had a sausage roll? For shame!

Basically, it's a calzone that you smother with BBQ sauce. It's divine.
I never had one either. I guess I need to take note of a few places in this thread and try one the next time I'm there.

I never had one either. I guess I need to take note of a few places in this thread and try one the next time I'm there.

The first time I can recall eating a sausage roll was probably 35+ years ago down at The Redwood Inn. The notion of squirting barbeque sauce on what was essentially an inside out pizza seemed reasonably stupid. But it wasn't.

These things are usually bigger than your head. Maybe not quite, but they are generally much larger than they need to be.

Our go to’s are:
Yummy Thai on State St.
Ziffles in Georgetown Sq.
Cebollas occasionally.

We need more places though. I’m not against chains as we like Bdubs every once in awhile. Spicy garlic wings please.

No Shigs. Their ribs just dont compare to Ziffles.

Anyway, what can you depend on?
Not from the Fort but my favorite is the Oyster Bar on Calhoun. Awesome fried oysters and clam chowder. Their fish and chips is walleye. They have steaks and chops too but I can't get past the 3 aforementioned items.
I for years have planned my trips to Northwest Ohio (and back home) to make sure that I am passing through Ft. Wayne at meal time so that I can eat there.

Not from the Fort but my favorite is the Oyster Bar on Calhoun. Awesome fried oysters and clam chowder. Their fish and chips is walleye. They have steaks and chops too but I can't get past the 3 aforementioned items.
I for years have planned my trips to Northwest Ohio (and back home) to make sure that I am passing through Ft. Wayne at meal time so that I can eat there.
My cousin used to be part owner of he Oyster Bar. Awesome place.

Reactions: eddy4iu
He was talking about the weekend cruising circuit when he was (much) younger.

Apologies. Still sad to see it go. My grandparents would take me there when I was younger since it was right down the road (grew up in Waynedale for the south end fort folks). Always remember my grandpa getting cottage cheese with every meal. Good memories.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Apologies. Still sad to see it go. My grandparents would take me there when I was younger since it was right down the road (grew up in Waynedale for the south end fort folks). Always remember my grandpa getting cottage cheese with every meal. Good memories.
Some of my in-laws lived in Waynedale. Did you graduate from Wayne? What year?

My Wife and I are older and don't get out at night anymore. We have ordered some thins by Delivery from Waiter on The Way. WE have ordered several things from Tower Bar and Grill over the past months. The Burgers are great, Chicken Sandwich is very good, and Nachos are great. The place is located across the from the Dana Plant on West State Street. Ironically, I can't remember ever going there when We could get around, but the Rumor has always been that their food is great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT