ADVERTISEMENT

Yo! Fort Waynians… where do you eat in town?

Warison

Hall of Famer
Dec 13, 2010
Our go to’s are:
Yummy Thai on State St.
Ziffles in Georgetown Sq.
Cebollas occasionally.

We need more places though. I’m not against chains as we like Bdubs every once in awhile. Spicy garlic wings please.

No Shigs. Their ribs just dont compare to Ziffles.

Anyway, what can you depend on?

Our go to’s are:
Yummy Thai on State St.

We need more places though. I’m not against chains as we like Bdubs every once in awhile. Spicy garlic wings please.

Not a Fort Wayner, but the wings at the ACME Bar are unbelievable. Smoked goodness!

Reactions: Warison
Needed that. Thank you.
After a wedding, a bunch of us went there and just sort of ordered them for something to munch on. We ordered so many, they couldn't keep up with the demand. lol So we waited until more were ready - like an hour.

After a wedding, a bunch of us went there and just sort of ordered them for something to munch on. We ordered so many, they couldn't keep up with the demand. lol So we waited until more were ready - like an hour.
The internet is saying it’s permanently closed. Sad face if true.

• Sad
Reactions: DANC
The ACME has been closed for quite some time. Too bad. Place was there for a long time. The owner let the liquor license expire, and allegedly owed a shit ton of money.

• Sad
I lived in FTW in the early 90s. I'm sure these places are still there, since 30 years is like yesterday.

Powers for that onion stinking slider.
Jim's in Waynedale for broasted chicken.
Oleys for pizza.
Coney Island downtown chili dogs and corned beef hash
Curly's for breaded tenderloins

The ACME has been closed for quite some time. Too bad. Place was there for a long time. The owner let the liquor license expire, and allegedly owed a shit ton of money.
It's sadly true. Acme is gone forever.

Pastors place on dupont has great lunch. Speaking of dupont, Dupont bar and grill on Leo has great pub food. Lots of good Mexican joints. I like la pinata on Clinton.

• Sad
My local dive is Black Dog Pub. About 30 taps and decent bar food. Pizza isn't bad actually. Other bar food joints we go to are 07 Pub on Broadway, and Mad Anthony's. In the summer when you can eat outside we'll go to Ted's Beer Hall. Food isn't that good, but it's a cool place with good beer.

Traditional Mexican we used to go to Las Lomas on Fairfield. Haven't been since Covid though. If you ask for some extra hot sauce they bring out some mystery squeeze bottle from the kitchen with a green "sauce" of some sort. It's obviously not meant for customers as it's in a crusty kitchen squirt bottle. I don't know what they use it for, but it is indeed hot.

For food that's maybe a step up, we'll go to JK O'donnels, Junk Ditch, Proximo...places like that.

In the summer, The Deck is fun.

We used to frequent Dash In, but they stopped night service after Covid. ;-(

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMobe and Warison
Dang it. Nice little neighborhood bar.

I lived in FTW in the early 90s. I'm sure these places are still there, since 30 years is like yesterday.

Oleys for pizza.
Don't forget the Wednesday night spaghetti special at O'Sullivans!

Reactions: hookyIU1990

They have food at O'Sullivan's? Lol. I haven't been through those doors in 25 years. I was a fixture there on Friday nights back in the early/mid 1980's. We'd roll in about midnight, and leave when they closed. The only food I remember was pizza that would mysteriously appear from the back and they'd walk around and sell it for a buck a slice, or whatever. Molson's for a buck, and Suicide shots. Good days, those.

They have food at O'Sullivan's? Lol. I haven't been through those doors in 25 years. I was a fixture there on Friday nights back in the early/mid 1980's. We'd roll in about midnight, and leave when they closed. The only food I remember was pizza that would mysteriously appear from the back and they'd walk around and sell it for a buck a slice, or whatever. Good days, those.
I'm sure I've run into you there, if you were there in the 80s. I worked in the Fort from '85 to '87. I've closed down O's more times than I can remember.

New York, New York!

My wife's cousin got married in the Fort and we had her after-wedding party there. Craziness ensued.

I was there last year, meeting up with some old friends, and I think it was a Wednesday evening. Place was empty when I got there around 5:30, but we sat in the back room and about 6:00, the place started filling up. Waitress (yes, they have them now) gave us a menu but said everyone was there for the Spaghetti special. So, of course, I had to have it. It was good, but anything tastes good after a few Guinesses.

I do remember the pizza slices. They were snapped up pretty quickly.

I'm sure I've run into you there, if you were there in the 80s. I worked in the Fort from '85 to '87. I've closed down O's more times than I can remember.

New York, New York!

My wife's cousin got married in the Fort and we had her after-wedding party there. Craziness ensued.

I was there last year, meeting up with some old friends, and I think it was a Wednesday evening. Place was empty when I got there around 5:30, but we sat in the back room and about 6:00, the place started filling up. Waitress (yes, they have them now) gave us a menu but said everyone was there for the Spaghetti special. So, of course, I had to have it. It was good, but anything tastes good after a few Guinesses.

I do remember the pizza slices. They were snapped up pretty quickly.

Ha ha. I probably spilled beer on you at some point. Mid 80's I was there a lot. And by a lot I mean every weekend. And yes, I was there with a wedding party once as well. Bride in her dress drinking shots. Hell, maybe it was the same bride.

Ha ha. I probably spilled beer on you at some point. Mid 80's I was there a lot. And by a lot I mean every weekend. And yes, I was there with a wedding party once as well. Bride in her dress drinking shots. Hell, maybe it was the same bride.
Could be. Was she a Wayne graduate?

Oohhh. Forgot all about that place.

I forgot The Office too. They had steak nights on Fridays and another on a weeknight. That was right down the street from where I worked.

Edit: Crap food, but great live music at the Brass Rail.

Nah. FW Snider.
I'll bet we know some of the same people. A couple gals I knew up there were Snider grads and turned me onto O's.

What's the deal with Fort Wayne and Genesis? I've never seen so many Genesis fans as in Fort Wayne. I'll bet I've driven to Detroit 3 times to see them. I'm not particularly a fan after Peter Gabriel left. And can't stand Phil Collins solo crap.

I'll bet we know some of the same people. A couple gals I knew up there were Snider grads and turned me onto O's.

What's the deal with Fort Wayne and Genesis? I've never seen so many Genesis fans as in Fort Wayne. I'll bet I've driven to Detroit 3 times to see them. I'm not particularly a fan after Peter Gabriel left. And can't stand Phil Collins solo crap.

I have a Genesis story. Sometime in the early 80's Genesis was touring but wouldn't come to Ft Wayne, despite the efforts of Doc West (WXKE). They were going to Indy though, so WXKE organized some busses to haul people down. They also ran a contest to win a "Genesis Concert Pack" which was two tickets to the show, bus seats, and swag.

I was at the liquor store next to the Subway on Coliseum (it's no longer there) and a dude working there at the liquor store asked me if I wanted to enter a raffle for a six foot sub. So I did. A couple of weeks later I'm listening to WXKE and they announce the winner of the "Genesis Concert Pack" live on the air. It was me. Turns out the liquor store raffle thing wasn't for a six foot sub at all.

I kept the swag, but sold the tickets and bus passes. I was meh on Genesis.

• Wow
I have a Genesis story. Sometime in the early 80's Genesis was touring but wouldn't come to Ft Wayne, despite the efforts of Doc West (WXKE). They were going to Indy though, so WXKE organized some busses to haul people down. They also ran a contest to win a "Genesis Concert Pack" which was two tickets to the show, bus seats, and swag.

I was at the liquor store next to the Subway on Coliseum (it's no longer there) and a dude working there at the liquor store asked me if I wanted to enter a raffle for a six foot sub. So I did. A couple of weeks later I'm listening to WXKE and they announce the winner of the "Genesis Concert Pack" live on the air. It was me. Turns out the liquor store raffle thing wasn't for a six foot sub at all.

I kept the swag, but sold the tickets and bus passes. I was meh on Genesis.
Great story. I used to listen to XKE.

I called in one time to request they play Frank Zapp's Dynamo Hum (I was going through a phase). They said "We can't play that!". OK. So, the next morning they played it. I really liked that station.

Agree with Hank on all his mentionings (idk how one could fvck up the Acme, but he did)
Our overall favorite place is Nawa....drunken Lo Mein w/ tofu...and how many Sapporas i can get away with.
Favorite Mexican is Alberto's...a little ghetto...but worth it.
Favorite brunch is Junk Ditch or Tolon.
Random meals i like: jambalaya at Paula's, banoffe&guiness at JKs, ceviche at Proximo.

Oleys for pizza.
Is there more than one Oley's? We got pizza from the one off of 24 because my sons were both students at International Business College.

Our go to’s are:
Yummy Thai on State St.
Cebollas occasionally.

One of my regrets is I never went to any of the Don Halls.

One of my regrets is I never went to any of the Don Halls.
I always thought they were kind of overrated. I have not really lived in Fort Wayne since around 2000 though, so maybe they got better?

Some of you are definitely bringing up areas really familiar to me though. Ziffles, Georgetown area, Snider HS.

Azars north, Gardners downtown, Azars south, Halls Drive In, Foster park....then repeat.... the old circuit.

Gas was 36 cents a gallon.

The real answer is probably some mashup of Cracker Barrel, Applebee's. White Castle, and the Golden Corral.

tenor.gif

Oh, and I know I'm being very north side biased here, but everyone should have a sausage roll from Laycoff's before they die.
This right here. Laycoffs is the best sausage roll in town.

I like the hoppy gnome at times. Brunch at Dash-in. Ziffles is right around the corner and I can never get enough.

This right here. Laycoffs is the best sausage roll in town.

I like the hoppy gnome at times. Brunch at Dash-in. Ziffles is right around the corner and I can never get enough.
Just how many places serve sausage rolls in Ft. Wayne?

All of them. It's the local thing.
Well dang, now I'm going to have to check it out.

I lived in the Fort for a few years and made some lifelong friends there. Big IU fans.

Fort Wayne is just the right size to have enough stuff to do but small enough to know most places and have the local feel.

Reactions: BigMobe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT