ADVERTISEMENT

Wtf. Allegation against Dr Bomba?!….

Maybe, but if they didn't go public on it and things started leaking out, there would be accusations of a cover-up. Meanwhile, Dr Bomba's name is out there all over the place, but the accuser remains unknown. Prostate exams even for younger people is not uncommon, but I guess an exam can morph into something else, so hopefully the investigation by the law firm can iron things out. I just hope the accuser hasn't intentionally morphed something that is a normal exam into something it was not.
Perhaps. But if IU immediately hires a large law firm to do an independent investigation as they did that indicates there is no effort to cover it up. Good work by IU on this front.

Releasing unverified claims in detail seems odd. If claims are proven false, Bomba is still tarnished. If claims are true, then the first press release can include some independent facts to add context. I chatted with someone who has done investigations for universities and this was their view too. But that’s just one opinion.

Other option was to be more vague in the PR and leave Bomba’s name out until more is known.

That said, if someone thinks the immediate press release is good, that’s fine, I just don’t get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott
We posted about the same time and my follow-up post alluded to that. The word inappropriate can mean a lot of things and it could be that individual thinks giving the exam was inappropriate based on his age group. I don't know and pretty much everyone out there not involved in this, don't have enough information on it to know what is exactly going on.
Michigan went through a similar situation and was covered up into a mess. This may not be exactly the same but it involved athletes suing for inappropriate touching/rectal exams.

Perhaps. But if IU immediately hires a large law firm to do an independent investigation as they did that indicates there is no effort to cover it up. Good work by IU on this front.

Releasing unverified claims in detail seems odd. If claims are proven false, Bomba is still tarnished. If claims are true, then the first press release can include some independent facts to add context. I chatted with someone who has done investigations for universities and this was their view too. But that’s just one opinion.

Other option was to be more vague in the PR and leave Bomba’s name out until more is known.

That said, if someone thinks the immediate press release is good, that’s fine, I just don’t get it.
I think they should have stopped short of the specifics. Had they not used Bomba’s name the speculation would have been crazy.

Dr Bomba and his family also need to know who the accuser is and have the right to defend themselves

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I’m not dismissing the allegations, but I feel for the Bomba family. They’ve been part of the IU family for decades. Have a grandson on the football team now. And yes, if he’s cleared, I want it shouted from the rooftops. I wondered if he was still alive. Looks like he is, but has to be about 90. Played football 54-56.
Yep! I agree 100%. Dr Bomba junior? is such a great respected Dr today. I really hope it's just someone looking for a payout and they fail
miserable. *Cool story I remember a friend of mine were walking around Assembly Hall in 1993ish, and he was starting to have low blood sugar: pressure next to the old field house and he noticed and went right to his car and retrieved two bananas and a juice box and gave it to him. Stayed there the 10 minutes or until he was well again. Ever since then I always respected him greatly. He said something like "I'm glad I decided to stop by work afrer returning from the grocery store".

The healthcare company my doctor works for has recommended the doctors stop doing the "digital" prostate exams... thank god
Believe me, the docs are just as thankful…well, except for those occasional cute coeds. All the insurance companies have to do is stop covering the procedure as their “recommendation”.

Can tell you have never been in the military draft line.
I certainly have, and gone through the pysical.

They never put their finger up my ass for anything. We bent over (with our feel on the footprints on the floor) so they could look at our asshole, but that was not for a prostate check.

Maybe you should consider filing a lawsuit, if you were checked that way. lol

They never put their finger up my ass for anything. We bent over (with our feel on the footprints on the floor) so they could look at our asshole, but that was not for a prostate check.

When I was at the MEPS Station in INDY the doctor who was checking us out for hernias asked me to cough. But she was Korean and I couldn't tell what she was saying because of her accent. The guy next to me was smarter than I was and said, "She wants you to cough man". lol

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
When I was at the MEPS Station in INDY the doctor who was checking us out for hernias asked me to cough. But she was Korean and I couldn't tell what she was saying because of her accent. The guy next to me was smarter than I was and said, "She wants you to cough man". lol
The first time I went in, it was a male doctor doing the hernia check.

The next time, when I joined the Reserves for a short time, it was a woman doctor. And let's just say she wasn't the most attractive female doctor.

Shrinkage is real.

• Haha
Reactions: VanPastorMan

Calling K. Nunn today.

• Haha

So might we surmise the whole ass hole (the heinous anus sphincter) interrogation was the initiation of bootcamp’s humiliation process?

So might we surmise the whole ass hole (the heinous anus sphincter) interrogation was the initiation of bootcamp’s humiliation process?
That's fair to say, although it started at the AFEES (I think that was the name) in Indy, for anyone drafted or volunteering. It was actually pre-Basic Training, but it did make you realize you were going to be treated like a piece of meat. It's a humbling feeling.

That's fair to say, although it started at the AFEES (I think that was the name) in Indy, for anyone drafted or volunteering. It was actually pre-Basic Training, but it did make you realize you were going to be treated like a piece of meat. It's a humbling feeling.
So the real beginning started at the end.

Not a good time for dangling dingleberries on display before the watchful eyes of Sgt. Foley. Extra pushups? Latrine duty?

“I, Sir,
am, Sir,
lowerthanwhaleshit, SIR!”

• Haha
So the real beginning started at the end.

Not a good time for dangling dingleberries on display before the watchful eyes of Sgt. Foley. Extra pushups? Latrine duty?

“I, Sir,
am, Sir,
lowerthanwhaleshit, SIR!”
Nothing like about 40 guys in a room all bent over, spreading their cheeks while a doctor and assistant walk behined them with a flashlight.

The entire thing was absurd and everyone knew it. Lots of muffled laughs, but we were all scared to say anything for fear of retribution by the hard-ass Sergeant watching us.

Nothing like about 40 guys in a room all bent over, spreading their cheeks while a doctor and assistant walk behined them with a flashlight.

The entire thing was absurd and everyone knew it. Lots of muffled laughs, but we were all scared to say anything for fear of retribution by the hard-ass Sergeant watching us.
I hope at least the doc’s assistant was cute, although I understand they’re hard to come by in the military.

Is he even still alive? I guess somebody was on the couch working through some stuff and this comes up and is the guy trying to sue or is he just bringing up some past stuff to move on in his personal life? Never heard of anything bad about Dr Bomba
I think he’s in hospice care.

Likely this is a case of Dr. Bomba not changing with the times as standard medical practices evolved. I don’t know what the standard physical exam consisted of when he trained in the late 50s but likely a rectal exam was included. I went through training around the time of these allegations and rectal exam was not a part of routine physicals.
Agreed. I have a retired partner who was performing paps on elderly women long after this was no longer recommended because that was the way he’d learned. Pretty sure he wasn’t doing the to get a rise (pun intended)

Agreed. I have a retired partner who was performing paps on elderly women long after this was no longer recommended because that was the way he’d learned. Pretty sure he wasn’t doing the to get a rise (pun intended)
I think I’d be more concerned if this old coot’s “performance” was confined to younger women.

My roommate was in IU med school back in the mid ‘70’s. Once a month IU Bloomington’s IU coeds would line up at the health center for pelvic exams in order to get birth control pills. The IU med school in Indy would send down 5 different students each month just to observe the process (look, but do not touch!) as a form of teaching. My roommate downplayed it as simply “one of the perks of medicine”. I remain extremely jealous to this day. Their masturbatory rate was later found to be 3X that admitted by dental students of similar age.

I think I’d be more concerned if this old coot’s “performance” was confined to younger women.

My roommate was in IU med school back in the mid ‘70’s. Once a month IU Bloomington’s IU coeds would line up at the health center for pelvic exams in order to get birth control pills. The IU med school in Indy would send down 5 different students each month just to observe the process (look, but do not touch!) as a form of teaching. My roommate downplayed it as simply “one of the perks of medicine”. I remain extremely jealous to this day. Their masturbatory rate was later found to be 3X that admitted by dental students of similar age.
Was this your own personal study? lol

Dr Bomba has five sons and numerous grandchildren that have all pretty much played sports. His grandson, James Bomba, is currently on the IU football team.

Here is an excerpt from Gregg Doyel's article on the subject today:

Unsolicited, a former Pacers team physician of 12 years, Dr. Tim Story, emailed me Thursday to urge caution on the coverage of this story. He referred to the IU statement Wednesday revealing the allegations and school response, a statement that included this sentence:

“The former student-athlete alleges that he was subjected to inappropriate prostate and rectal exams during annual physicals with Dr. Bomba, Sr….”

“Rectal and prostate exams ARE part of a complete physical examination for males,” Dr. Tim Story, a 1978 IU School of Medicine graduate, wrote. “When I worked for the Pacers, the players used to grouse about that part of the annual exam, but when Darryl Strawberry was diagnosed with colon cancer (before the 1998 AL playoffs), that improved everyone's understanding.”
It’s good that the doctor warned Doyel prior to writing the article because if anyone could sensationalize and f@&$ up a piece of journalism, ruin a man’s reputation and come across as a complete idiot doing so, it would be Gregg Doyel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT