ADVERTISEMENT

Wtf. Allegation against Dr Bomba?!….

We have to wait for the whole story. Who is to say that these exams were needless or improper? It depends on the student. Some kids have more digestive troubles than others. There are a lot of possible factors.

We have to wait for the whole story. Who is to say that these exams were needless or improper? It depends on the student. Some kids have more digestive troubles than others. There are a lot of possible factors.
Rectal exams should not be done during a routine physical on 18-22 year olds.

I'm actor Troy McClure!
You may remember me from such medical documentaries like:
Out with Gout '88!
and
Rectal Exams - Not Bad at All!
I had my first one (rectal exam for prostate) 2 or 3 yrs ago. My doctor was a woman and she asked me if I felt comfortable having a nurse in there with us. I said, "sure". I must admit it was weird to have someone with their finger up in that sacred area.

I had my first one (rectal exam for prostate) 2 or 3 yrs ago. My doctor was a woman and she asked me if I felt comfortable having a nurse in there with us. I said, "sure". I must admit it was weird to have someone with their finger up in that sacred area.

You also had your first 3 some.

Basically makes you a Mom for Liberty.

I had a rectal exam for some physical way back. Some high school sports team, wrestling maybe, around '80. I don't think anybody thought the doctor was out of line, but I don't know what conditions they may be used for.

To me, if just one person, long after, I'm doubting it. But I have no way to know if there's 'rumors' or other reports. If he's cleared, hopefully it'll be trumpeted widely.

Last edited:
I’m not dismissing the allegations, but I feel for the Bomba family. They’ve been part of the IU family for decades. Have a grandson on the football team now. And yes, if he’s cleared, I want it shouted from the rooftops. I wondered if he was still alive. Looks like he is, but has to be about 90. Played football 54-56.

I’m not dismissing the allegations, but I feel for the Bomba family. They’ve been part of the IU family for decades. Have a grandson on the football team now. And yes, if he’s cleared, I want it shouted from the rooftops. I wondered if he was still alive. Looks like he is, but has to be about 90. Played football 54-56.
Likely this is a case of Dr. Bomba not changing with the times as standard medical practices evolved. I don’t know what the standard physical exam consisted of when he trained in the late 50s but likely a rectal exam was included. I went through training around the time of these allegations and rectal exam was not a part of routine physicals.

Dr Bomba has five sons and numerous grandchildren that have all pretty much played sports. His grandson, James Bomba, is currently on the IU football team.

Here is an excerpt from Gregg Doyel's article on the subject today:

Unsolicited, a former Pacers team physician of 12 years, Dr. Tim Story, emailed me Thursday to urge caution on the coverage of this story. He referred to the IU statement Wednesday revealing the allegations and school response, a statement that included this sentence:

“The former student-athlete alleges that he was subjected to inappropriate prostate and rectal exams during annual physicals with Dr. Bomba, Sr….”

“Rectal and prostate exams ARE part of a complete physical examination for males,” Dr. Tim Story, a 1978 IU School of Medicine graduate, wrote. “When I worked for the Pacers, the players used to grouse about that part of the annual exam, but when Darryl Strawberry was diagnosed with colon cancer (before the 1998 AL playoffs), that improved everyone's understanding.”

Just an observation — It’s a bit surprising IU and the independent law firm didn’t do some of the investigative work to validate the claims before going public. It would be very useful for the first press release to contain some independent view of the facts — this context would help prevent the speculative mess going on now

Just an observation — It’s a bit surprising IU and the independent law firm didn’t do some of the investigative work to validate the claims before going public. It would be very useful for the first press release to contain some independent view of the facts — this context would help prevent the speculative mess going on now
Maybe, but if they didn't go public on it and things started leaking out, there would be accusations of a cover-up. Meanwhile, Dr Bomba's name is out there all over the place, but the accuser remains unknown. Prostate exams even for younger people is not uncommon, but I guess an exam can morph into something else, so hopefully the investigation by the law firm can iron things out. I just hope the accuser hasn't intentionally morphed something that is a normal exam into something it was not.

Reactions: MIS01 and .Gerdis
Dr Bomba has five sons and numerous grandchildren that have all pretty much played sports. His grandson, James Bomba, is currently on the IU football team.

Here is an excerpt from Gregg Doyel's article on the subject today:

Unsolicited, a former Pacers team physician of 12 years, Dr. Tim Story, emailed me Thursday to urge caution on the coverage of this story. He referred to the IU statement Wednesday revealing the allegations and school response, a statement that included this sentence:

“The former student-athlete alleges that he was subjected to inappropriate prostate and rectal exams during annual physicals with Dr. Bomba, Sr….”

“Rectal and prostate exams ARE part of a complete physical examination for males,” Dr. Tim Story, a 1978 IU School of Medicine graduate, wrote. “When I worked for the Pacers, the players used to grouse about that part of the annual exam, but when Darryl Strawberry was diagnosed with colon cancer (before the 1998 AL playoffs), that improved everyone's understanding.”
Well, there is the word inappropriate.

It can mean that conducting those exams was inappropriate. It could also mean that the individual is alleging that the manner in which they were conducted was inappropriate.

Either way I am sure that any language IU put out was carefully selected.

Well, there is the word inappropriate.

It can mean that conducting those exams was inappropriate. It could also mean that the individual is alleging that the manner in which they were conducted was inappropriate.

Either way I am sure that any language IU put out was carefully selected.
We posted about the same time and my follow-up post alluded to that. The word inappropriate can mean a lot of things and it could be that individual thinks giving the exam was inappropriate based on his age group. I don't know and pretty much everyone out there not involved in this, don't have enough information on it to know what is exactly going on.

Reactions: .Gerdis
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT