ADVERTISEMENT

wow...

VanHoosier

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2002
wish I was shocked but it's Indiana... mentally weak, went soft on defense and gave up 14 points in 30 seconds to lose... Justus fails again.

Reactions: vesuvius13
wish I was shocked but it's Indiana... mentally weak, went soft on defense and gave up 14 points in 30 seconds to lose... Justus fails again.

I’m disappointed, but honestly, can’t get too down about it. As an IU fan, I’ve suffered through much worse. The team needs to take it in stride and focus on next year. Let’s get back in this position again. Consistency is key.

M
I’m disappointed, but honestly, can’t get too down about it. As an IU fan, I’ve suffered through much worse. The team needs to take it in stride and focus on next year. Let’s get back in this position again. Consistency is key.
I’m not ready for that kind of attitude, just yet.

giphy.gif

M

I’m not ready for that kind of attitude, just yet.

I get it. I wouldn’t have the same live and let live attitude about basketball at all. I admit I have a double standard based upon my expectations. I just want some sustained success in football right now, then we can raise the bar. I don’t want things to get derailed because of a tough loss in a bowl game.

It j
I get it. I wouldn’t have the same live and let live attitude about basketball at all. I admit I have a double standard based upon my expectations. I just want some sustained success in football right now, then we can raise the bar. I don’t want things to get derailed because of a tough loss in a bowl game.
I just don’t like ending a song on a bad note. Football is the same way with an ending loss you had all but won. It makes for a longer off season and I don’t like my off season’s long.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
We also thought there’d be more NCAAT games after we lost to UNC in 2016. We’re still waiting.

The basketball program is in real trouble. I guess it’s better to watch a team (football) that isn’t as talented and gives a ton of effort than to watch a terribly coached basketball team that has zero initiative.

I was very worried that we were going to be blown out after the first quarter and our inability to move the ball. I at least have to credit some adjustments made so Ramsey was able to complete many of his passes.

I was very worried that we were going to be blown out after the first quarter and our inability to move the ball. I at least have to credit some adjustments made so Ramsey was able to complete many of his passes.
The adjustment for the late-game onside kick was a big one, not made, for whatever reason. There is no consolation to be found in not getting blown out. Allen's locker room pep talk ultimately fell on deaf ears...something rah, rah, about never giving up...competing until the end, blah, blah, blah. The network had to play it twice, it was so inspiring. TENN had yet to score a TD at the 8+ min. mark when it was 21-9. The IU champaign bottles were being uncorked. And then it happened...Indiana football reared its ugly little head again. I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of rain beating down on our metal roof. Thoughts of bonehead plays started dancing in my head as I tossed and turned until daybreak with myself a beaten man.

I imagine he’s glad he won’t have to try and make another one, at this point. On a side note, IU never did beat a team with a winning record this season.

It would have been interesting if LJ had another year.......I feel like the Purdue game ruined him forever as a kicker, but we'll never know.

The adjustment for the late-game onside kick was a big one, not made, for whatever reason. There is no consolation to be found in not getting blown out. Allen's locker room pep talk ultimately fell on deaf ears...something rah, rah, about never giving up...competing until the end, blah, blah, blah. The network had to play it twice, it was so inspiring. TENN had yet to score a TD at the 8+ min. mark when it was 21-9. The IU champaign bottles were being uncorked. And then it happened...Indiana football reared its ugly little head again. I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of rain beating down on our metal roof. Thoughts of bonehead plays started dancing in my head as I tossed and turned until daybreak with myself a beaten man.

LOL.......I lost some sleep over that one as well......but I agree with whoever said it gets easier to take after 50 years or so...........you gain some perspective later in life.

LOL.......I lost some sleep over that one as well......but I agree with whoever said it gets easier to take after 50 years or so...........you gain some perspective later in life.
Hell, I saw my first Memorial Stadium game in 1960 and it still pisses me off to the core, the way we manage to lose. I'm just as miserable now as I was then and don't plan on changing anytime soon.

Even if he had made the kick they would have come back and scored.
Have seen it too many times over the years.
When he missed the xp I fully expected to lose by one point.
Hiw can you expect the the players to believe if the fans like you don't?

That loss hurts because it's right there with Penn St. & MSU for games they could/should have won. The expectations have clearly been raised.

It might be because I'm Pollyanna. Or maybe I'm just really hungover after a long night at Kilroy's Broad Ripple. But I'm psyched for August to roll around. I never would've guessed that the defense would've carried the team like they did last night. Mullen was in the mix on so many defensive plays. The defensive backfield wasn't sloppy with the penalties. And obviously the pick-6 was a huge momentum shift.

Assuming it wasn't because the UT offense was trash, if the D is hungry and brings it like that next season, it could be a good one. Now we just have to cross our fingers for a quality OC to come in and still put up 30 per game.

Hiw can you expect the the players to believe if the fans like you don't?
The players haven’t been watching it for the last 50 yrs,I guess maybe that has something to do with.
Anyone with basic math skills could not help but think the missed extra point was going to be big.
You cannot bounce the ball off the upright on a 20 yard kick and not have it come back to haunt you.

That loss hurts because it's right there with Penn St. & MSU for games they could/should have won. The expectations have clearly been raised.

It might be because I'm Pollyanna. Or maybe I'm just really hungover after a long night at Kilroy's Broad Ripple. But I'm psyched for August to roll around. I never would've guessed that the defense would've carried the team like they did last night. Mullen was in the mix on so many defensive plays. The defensive backfield wasn't sloppy with the penalties. And obviously the pick-6 was a huge momentum shift.

Assuming it wasn't because the UT offense was trash, if the D is hungry and brings it like that next season, it could be a good one. Now we just have to cross our fingers for a quality OC to come in and still put up 30 per game.
From the defensive side this game sets the bar. They played tough all night against a bigger, stronger and overall more talented team. This should be the standard from here on out.

I completely disagree. We don't have to be embarrassed and humiliated by losing big, say by another program that lost last year by 49. If that had happened to us we would never had heard the end of remarks that we weren't good enough to even play in a bowl and only was there by beating bad teams. We proved that we could play with an SEC program and should have won. The fact that we didn't is as much on the coaches as anyone, but we showed that we did have a good deal of talent.

I completely disagree. We don't have to be embarrassed and humiliated by losing big, say by another program that lost last year by 49. If that had happened to us we would never had heard the end of remarks that we weren't good enough to even play in a bowl and only was there by beating bad teams. We proved that we could play with an SEC program and should have won. The fact that we didn't is as much on the coaches as anyone, but we showed that we did have a good deal of talent.
Emphasizing that it was a close game, albeit one we lost, is one of the methods fans use to lessen the disappointment. There's nothing wrong with that, if it works for you (whatever gets through the day). I do recall Coach Allen saying that this IU team wasn't going to be content with just making it to a bowl game, but that it was going to Jacksonville to win. I don't recall "coming close but not winning" as being part of the equation, but correct me if I'm wrong here. So from that aspect, they didn't succeed but I must say it is encouraging to hear that Purdue, despite losing last year's bowl game by 49 pts., still managed to haul in an excellent recruiting class, by their standards. One would think our 1 pt. loss will potentially lead to an even better recruiting class, by our standards. That is certainly cause for celebration, when all else fails. That said, it's nice to know that both Ramsey and Penix will be back at QB next season, as of this posting time. They're good material to start all over with.

Emphasizing that it was a close game, albeit one we lost, is one of the methods fans use to lessen the disappointment. There's nothing wrong with that, if it works for you (whatever gets through the day). I do recall Coach Allen saying that this IU team wasn't going to be content with just making it to a bowl game, but that it was going to Jacksonville to win. I don't recall "coming close but not winning" as being part of the equation, but correct me if I'm wrong here. So from that aspect, they didn't succeed but I must say it is encouraging to hear that Purdue, despite losing last year's bowl game by 49 pts., still managed to haul in an excellent recruiting class, by their standards. One would think our 1 pt. loss will potentially lead to an even better recruiting class, by our standards. That is certainly cause for celebration, when all else fails. That said, it's nice to know that both Ramsey and Penix will be back at QB next season, as of this posting time. They're good material to start all over with.
Don't get me wrong. I hated that loss as much as anyone. When we fell behind in the fourth quarter I had to go downstairs just to get away from my wife and not yell out anything to scare her and the pets.

It's just that a bowl game is a showcase for the entire country and a huge loss would have been a terrible look for potential recruits and when we are hopefully moving upwards for the program. I know our recruiting fell back a little this year, but experts say that a season's success helps our more in the following year.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Bet Allen is glad he didn't fiddle around with his contract extension and got it signed before this game played out. I took a look at the 2020 schedule 6-6 might be the best we will see.

Bet Allen is glad he didn't fiddle around with his contract extension and got it signed before this game played out. I took a look at the 2020 schedule 6-6 might be the best we will see.
I thought the opposite, looking like we go on a tear after the opening loss to Bucky...A six game win streak is there for the taking!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT