ADVERTISEMENT

Woman tries to publicly shame barista for not serving her without mask, GoFundMe raises $60k for him

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
..... same woman wants to sue for portion of proceeds

amber-lynn-gilles.jpg

In San Diego County, public health officials have mandated that anyone over the age of two is required to wear a face covering in public to avoid spreading the coronavirus unless they have a medical condition that prevents them from doing so.

Gilles, who has been referred to online as a San Diego “Karen,” shared a picture of the barista who she said would not serve her on June 22. She wrote that “next time I will wait for cops” and later told NBC San Diego that she felt she was discriminated against at the coffee shop.

The barista, identified as Lenin Gutierrez, countered in a video explanation that he simply asked Gilles whether she had a mask before she became angry with him. A GoFundMe campaign launched in support of Gutierrez has raised nearly $60,000.

Gilles posted a picture of Gutierrez on Facebook along with the address of the Starbucks in San Diego. In the post, she implied she had a medical reason for not wearing a mask but did not elaborate. She wrote, “Meet lenen from Starbucks who refused to serve me cause I’m not wearing a mask. Next time I will wait for cops and bring a medical exemption.”

The post went viral, but the reactions took off in a different direction than Gilles was likely expecting. Thousands of commenters jumped to Gutierrez’s defense and slammed Gilles for attempting to shame him for doing his job. Some remarked that if she didn’t want to wear a mask, she could have used the drive-thru.

Lenin Gutierrez shared his side of the story in a video posted to Facebook. He explained that when Gilles came into the store without a mask, he asked her if she had one. She responded “no” and said that she did not need one.

Gutierrez explained that he intended to show Gilles the order stating that Starbucks is required to ask customers to wear face masks, adding “but we can still help.” But Gutierrez said he was prevented from saying that to Gilles because she started “cursing up a storm” at him.

He said Gilles “called people sheep” and left the store, only to return minutes later to take a picture of him. Gutierrez said Gilles threatened to call the corporate office and was “cursing some more at everyone” before leaving again. The Washington Post reported that after sharing his side of the story on Facebook, Gutierrez’s manager asked him not to discuss the incident publicly any further.

A man named Matt Cowan created a fundraiser for Gutierrez on GoFundMe. Cowan wrote on the page, “Raising money for Lenin for his honorable effort standing his ground when faced with a Karen in the wild.” He added that all donations were “personal gifts” to Gutierrez.

Gutierrez has expressed gratitude for the donations on social media. He says he plans to use the money to pursue his dream of becoming a dancer and a dance teacher.

Gilles, meanwhile, is angered over the GoFundMe campaign. According to NBC San Diego, Gilles intends to file a lawsuit against Cowan for “defamation and slander.” She also told the network she wants a portion of the money that was raised.

A bit about the lovely lady...

54515178_10155846893071949_4580037229056884736_n.jpg

Gilles expressed to NBC San Diego that she feels the rules about wearing masks in public are the start of a slippery slope. She told the network, “It starts with coffee but it ends with mandatory digital certificates and the mark of the beast and all of that forced vaccinations stuff. And you all know what I’m talking about.”

Gilles describes herself on Facebook as a “Mother • Photographer • Yoga Instructor • Activist • Artist.” She has shared anti-vaccination messages on Facebook and has expressed concern about contact tracing measures used to combat the spread of the coronavirus. She wrote on May 25 that contact tracing is a violation of privacy. “If you're ok with this, you be the first to be forced separated from your family then. This should frighten everyone. I’m about to throw my cell out. I cannot believe I am paying Verizon to be tracked and spied on. We should call our phone companies and threaten to boycott if they share our private information.”

On April 25, Gilles shared a picture of herself wearing a Guy Fawkes mask and expressed her concern about stay-at-home orders in California. She wrote, “”Not complying with aggressive tyrannical government over reach, useless masks, mandatory vaccines, the closure of small businesses, parks, schools, social distancing, 5g, the deep and police state.”

Gilles has commented on the Black Lives Matter movement as well. She has argued on Facebook that “whites are the most silenced, shamed, insulted, hated race there is and it’s socially acceptable for all black and bi racial and white peoples to rant riot and loot over.”

She went on, “It’s not like they got a president, or dominated sports, entertainment, & music industry, o they also have affirmative action giving them free handouts. Putting millions of qualified white people at a disadvantage for full ride scholarships to private and state universities, but also in career and job markets as well. Your a f*cking moron if you still think all white peoples hate POC and are at all as privileged as you think. Just because I’m not associated with a movement that is going to slaughter it’s own people and mine does not mean I’m racist.”

https://heavy.com/news/2020/06/amber-lynn-gilles-san-diego-karen/

Reactions: cosmickid
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT