ADVERTISEMENT

With 3 added via portal and decommit, are we now better than last year?

rocketo

All-American
Feb 23, 2007
I would say we are a little better overall.

I would be surprised if Ballo ends up as good as Ware, but I think he covers 60-70% of Ware’s offense and 90% of his defense. If MR expands his offense while facing the basket, this could be a moot point.

I am betting Rice is better than XJ and Tucker will end up being a positive over Banks/Gunn.

2 more very nice pieces, including a top tier shooter, and with what seems like positive development of MM, this should put us easily in Top 25 territory for much of year and maybe top 15 if the team gels well.

A lot to happen and work for this, but it better or Woody is toast.

Reactions: Indyhorn and kkott

I would be surprised if Ballo ends up as good as Ware, but I think he covers 60-70% of Ware’s offense and 90% of his defense. If MR expands his offense while facing the basket, this could be a moot point.

I am betting Rice is better than XJ and Tucker will end up being a positive over Banks/Gunn.

2 more very nice pieces, including a top tier shooter, and with what seems like positive development of MM, this should put us easily in Top 25 territory for much of year and maybe top 15 if the team gels well.

and so much of it is just chemistry, which I think is often going to be a challenge building mostly through the portal, vs augmenting. Last year's team had enough talent to make the tourney. This year's team, especially including Carlyle, I think is better, but how quickly and well they come together is a ?

Reactions: demunn and .Gerdis
and so much of it is just chemistry, which I think is often going to be a challenge building mostly through the portal, vs augmenting. Last year's team had enough talent to make the tourney. This year's team, especially including Carlyle, I think is better, but how quickly and well they come together is a ?
Has Carlyle committed?

Reactions: Indyhorn
Totally agree. It is the coaches job to make the roles clear and adjust roles as determined by performance. The players must accept those roles and do them as best as they are capable. On top of that, these kids need to be all about team. They got their money, now earn it.

Rice and Carlyle are going to help immensely imo. I think we're on the path to being much better than last year, not that it was a high bar.
Yes, our guard play has been our weakness, and it isn’t even close. From what I have seen and read, and if the coaches develop these guys, we should be much better, and I have to think that helps guys like Cupps get even better.

Yes, our guard play has been our weakness, and it isn’t even close. From what I have seen and read, and if the coaches develop these guys, we should be much better, and I have to think that helps guys like Cupps get even better.
The first few games are going to be extremely interesting -- basically four to five high-end new guys coming in, and also I'm curious what MM looks like after a summer of working on his game.

The first few games are going to be extremely interesting -- basically four to five high-end new guys coming in, and also I'm curious what MM looks like after a summer of working on his game.
Yeah. MM could be seriously good next year if he steps it up in the off-season and makes good progress throughout the regular season. Come tourney time, he could be fire. He was our best shooter as a freshman and might be again regardless of who we bring in. And his drives to the hoop improved tremendously last year. Just more strength and explosiveness would be huge for him there.

I think he makes the ceiling much higher with this group along with the potential of an at least average B10 PG. MR and TG can't possibly play dumber basketball next season. Can they?

We're better in large part due to the rebounding that Ballo will bring. Since we're not a great shooting team, we need guys who can get offensive rebounds, and Ballo was the 18th best offensive rebounder in college basketball last year.

Last edited:
We're better in large part due to the rebounding that Ballo will bring. Since we're not a great shooting team, we need guys who can get offensive rebounds, and Ballo was the 18th best offensive rebounder in college basketball last year.

If Ballo can be a monster rebounder and defensive presence, that will be a huge gap filled. If he can score 10-12 PPG and shoot 60%+ at the line, then that will be sufficient for our 5, as long as we have much better perimeter play.

With the big man now in the fold, Hoping IU improves on their post passing and angles, which at times last season were often horrible, regardless who was doing the passing.

Better for sure but hopefully some fundamentals get better because free throw shooting has to be atleast 70 percent. Tony did a great job talking about Balo will help with offensive rebounding top 15 in the nation so getting more shots will help alot just hope we get a shooter of two who can knock down some open looks.

Oh, I have no doubt we’ll be better. At a minimum better enough to keep you know who ensconced on the bench for another season. Then we get to go through this same scenario again. Rinse and repeat. This is our future.

Reactions: hoosier48

I never know what is true and what is rumor.
But if each guy coming to IU is getting between 750K-1.25 M it sure seems like incentive to come. I would like to think they wanted to play for Woody.

Wood Carlyle be an upgrade over Galloway? Neither are shooters and similar PPG last year

If Ballo can be a monster rebounder and defensive presence, that will be a huge gap filled. If he can score 10-12 PPG and shoot 60%+ at the line, then that will be sufficient for our 5, as long as we have much better perimeter play.
So your answer is: probably not. :)

Tucker is a hs senior. IU has 2 portal as of now. Carlyle hasn't visited yet.

Going off what i read on twitter we are going to be a top 15 team so no excuses next year. Woodson needs to deliver period.

This year "should" be:

Reneau/Banks
Ware/Sparks
McNeely/Mgbako
Galloway/Leal
Cupps/Gunn

When comparing which team is better, remember that losing Ware was a massive loss compared to having him back this year. I do think Rice adds something, maybe quite a lot- but IU still badly needs shooters.
By shooters, I'm talking about real shooters. Like AJ Guyton. Like James Blackmon Jr. Steve Alford, Jordan Hulls, etc.
If they want to be good, they need shooters. Or they will end up like Rutgers.

This year "should" be:

Reneau/Banks
Ware/Sparks
McNeely/Mgbako
Galloway/Leal
Cupps/Gunn

When comparing which team is better, remember that losing Ware was a massive loss compared to having him back this year. I do think Rice adds something, maybe quite a lot- but IU still badly needs shooters.
By shooters, I'm talking about real shooters. Like AJ Guyton. Like James Blackmon Jr. Steve Alford, Jordan Hulls, etc.
I'm not really worried about Rice's shooting. I think he wore down to end the year, but prior to that 0-22 or whatever streak, he'd been shooting in the 33-35% range. He's gonna get stronger and all of them should shoot better. I predicted Galloway was going to tail off with his shooting this year because he was going to be more of a focus with JHS and Kopp gone, and it got worse than I expected because I think it shook his confidence. I think he'll rebound and shoot a good bit better because Rice and Carlyle are going to draw more of the defensive attention and he'll be back to spotting up more. I still don't think he'll approach 40% but think 33-35% range... respectable at least. Still need a knock down shooter like Essegian, but I think we'll shoot a couple points better at every position this year except the 5.

This year "should" be:

Reneau/Banks
Ware/Sparks
McNeely/Mgbako
Galloway/Leal
Cupps/Gunn

Looking like an expected CMW roster and a lot depends on MM becoming a premier catch and shoot guy.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
I'll wait and see. Last year IU looked better on paper. I'm more interested in the results.
Thanksgiving tourny in the Bahamas will have Gonzaga, Arizona, and Creighton. Zaga and Creighton both lose one starter. Arizona loses 3 including Ballo I believe.

As we sit right now...I'll say probably similar. Better if Rice and Tucker end up being as good or better than expected. Maybe not as good if not. How they all fit together, obviously, will determine a lot. And the more starter level perimeter players we sign, that are able to complement and cover weaknesses, the better we'll be. Carlyle or Conwell would be huge. Brea would be huge, Essegian would probably help. Backup defensive oriented big would help.

We need versatile guys that can defend multiple positions. And then obviously shooters. It'd be great if any of the new guys can provide all those things themselves.

Going off what i read on twitter we are going to be a top 15 team so no excuses next year. Woodson needs to deliver period.
Technically. I don’t know what the decision making group on basketball at IU expects. With the raise and massive NIL spend even they have to expect something decent. Who knows with them.

Expectations should be high. The team should be pissed if people don’t think they’re top-15 and a tournament threat. We’ll see. It would be disappointing if the excuses start up again.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Oh, I have no doubt we’ll be better. At a minimum better enough to keep you know who ensconced on the bench for another season. Then we get to go through this same scenario again. Rinse and repeat. This is our future.
You thinking we win a couple tourney games to make S16? Because I think that is what it would take.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT