ADVERTISEMENT

Why stop at 2016?

Imsowyctcwuzbetta

Sophomore
Feb 16, 2019
The NCAA and its five power conferences have agreed to allow schools to directly pay players for the first time in the 100-plus-year history of college sports.

The NCAA and its leagues are moving forward with a multibillion-dollar agreement to settle three pending federal antitrust cases. The NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes, sources told ESPN. Sources said the parties also have agreed to a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes.

"The five autonomy conferences and the NCAA agreeing to settlement terms is an important step in the continuing reform of college sports that will provide benefits to student-athletes and provide clarity in college athletics across all divisions for years to come," NCAA president Charlie Baker and the five power conference commissioners said in a joint statement Thursday evening.

"This settlement is also a road map for college sports leaders and Congress to ensure this uniquely American institution can continue to provide unmatched opportunity for millions of students. All of Division I made today's progress possible, and we all have work to do to implement the terms of the agreement as the legal process continues. We look forward to working with our various student-athlete leadership groups to write the next chapter of college sports."

All Division I athletes dating back to 2016 are eligible to receive a share as part of the settlement class. In exchange, athletes cannot sue the NCAA for other potential antitrust violations and must drop their complaints in three open cases: House v. NCAA, Hubbard v. NCAA and Carter v. NCAA.

The NCAA and its five power conferences have agreed to allow schools to directly pay players for the first time in the 100-plus-year history of college sports.

The NCAA and its leagues are moving forward with a multibillion-dollar agreement to settle three pending federal antitrust cases. The NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes, sources told ESPN. Sources said the parties also have agreed to a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes.

"The five autonomy conferences and the NCAA agreeing to settlement terms is an important step in the continuing reform of college sports that will provide benefits to student-athletes and provide clarity in college athletics across all divisions for years to come," NCAA president Charlie Baker and the five power conference commissioners said in a joint statement Thursday evening.

"This settlement is also a road map for college sports leaders and Congress to ensure this uniquely American institution can continue to provide unmatched opportunity for millions of students. All of Division I made today's progress possible, and we all have work to do to implement the terms of the agreement as the legal process continues. We look forward to working with our various student-athlete leadership groups to write the next chapter of college sports."

All Division I athletes dating back to 2016 are eligible to receive a share as part of the settlement class. In exchange, athletes cannot sue the NCAA for other potential antitrust violations and must drop their complaints in three open cases: House v. NCAA, Hubbard v. NCAA and Carter v. NCAA.
Kinda like student loan forgiveness. Why can’t they forgive those that paid it.

Because the statute of limitations is 4 years from when the damage occurs for a federal anti-trust suit. A kid who started in 2016 would still be able to bring a claim. People who graduated before then and haven't already filed a suit can't bring one.

Because the statute of limitations is 4 years from when the damage occurs for a federal anti-trust suit. A kid who started in 2016 would still be able to bring a claim. People who graduated before then and haven't already filed a suit can't bring one.
Well that sounds logical, smart, and correct. How the F did it end up on here???

Reactions: Harry Hondo
We are seeing the globalization and privatization of college. The next move is eliminating high school sports and just having sponsored club teams that are then farm systems directly to the pros. College athletes will no longer be students which means no one will want to pay them and then the whole thing collapses.
Either go to school or be an athlete. Starts at kindergarten. That's where it is headed.

We are seeing the globalization and privatization of college. The next move is eliminating high school sports and just having sponsored club teams that are then farm systems directly to the pros. College athletes will no longer be students which means no one will want to pay them and then the whole thing collapses.
Either go to school or be an athlete. Starts at kindergarten. That's where it is headed.
No it’s not. Maybe a few HS kids. No1 pays or wants to watch HS sports except crazy Redneck’s and parents.

Well that pisses me off. My daughter was a D1 athlete ten years before the cut off. She got tuition, room and board and other perks but we want more more more - gimme gimme gimme - right?! We didn’t get enough and she and I demand more money! This whole thing is pathetic and makes me sick.

No it’s not. Maybe a few HS kids. No1 pays or wants to watch HS sports except crazy Redneck’s and parents.
Yep. The best HS athletes already go to prep academies to work on their sport.

I haven't been to or watched a HS sports event of any kind since my youngest kid graduated. When you don't have a kid on the team it's just not that interesting.

Reactions: Cavanagh
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT