ADVERTISEMENT

Why hire an agent?

IU_JD

Benchwarmer
Feb 21, 2008
What do you get from hiring an agent now as opposed to later? Let's say the rumors are true and OG is hiring an agent but Bryant is not. Besides not being able to return to school, what does OG get that Bryant doesn't? Can hiring an agent this early, as opposed to after testing the waters, really change your draft position?

What do you get from hiring an agent now as opposed to later? Let's say the rumors are true and OG is hiring an agent but Bryant is not. Besides not being able to return to school, what does OG get that Bryant doesn't? Can hiring an agent this early, as opposed to after testing the waters, really change your draft position?

It won't help your draft position. Agents will cover all of the expenses for travel/workouts/camps.

Reactions: IU_JD
It won't help your draft position. Agents will cover all of the expenses for travel/workouts/camps.
Thanks, that makes sense and I didn't think about that. Is there any other advantages? I know not everybody has money to cover those expenses but it seems to be minor when compared to being able to return to school and potentially increase your draft spot.

I agree with you in general, but in OG's case what kind of workouts/camps is he going to be able to handle with a bum knee?

It depends on who your agent is, your draft position can absolutely be swayed. But yes the rest of what you said is spot on and in most cases.

Just curious, who did he hire?

It doesn't do much with contracts, considering the NBA's rookie salary structure, but besides what was mentioned earlier concerning the perks of having an agent (and those perks would permanently end your amateur status, whether you hired him or not), there's also the exposure angle. When you have an agent, he's out there, fighting for you, keeping your name in people's ears. I have no idea how much an agent can actually change your draft prospects, but I'm sure the answer is somewhat more than "none," and that, of course, translates to real dollars.

I agree with you in general, but in OG's case what kind of workouts/camps is he going to be able to handle with a bum knee?

Players typically go through an interview with teams that are working them out. OG could still do this. You'd be surprised how many players hurt themselves while talking with front office people.

Reactions: iubud
I suppose if you are 100% ready to leave school, you might as well get an agent. As some have mentioned, they can get travel money, start getting endorsements and they might work with you to prepare for team visits. It could also let the teams know you are all in and cause them to give a little more attention to your evaluation. Nice for the teams to know, but doesn't really help the player.

I suppose if you are 100% ready to leave school, you might as well get an agent. As some have mentioned, they can get travel money, start getting endorsements and they might work with you to prepare for team visits. It could also let the teams know you are all in and cause them to give a little more attention to your evaluation. Nice for the teams to know, but doesn't really help the player.
the agents also can hire you some trainers as well to get ready for the draft.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT