ADVERTISEMENT

Whoa, Race

Oh and I think the so called creepy pictures are simply motivation for Race and the fan base.

It shows me that the kid is taking this seriously and I already am a big fan of his for the work ethic he's shown during his redshirt year.

Plus Race has worked hard...show the world how much you've changed. Nice job kid!!

Exactly. No body builder talents. Just lean muscle plus thick benson. You keep focusing on strength coaches and deflections though. Sure beats winning. You win with Kyle Guy and Jalen Brunson. I’ll go look for their topless strength coach pics.
One of the most important reasons for strength and conditioning training is to prevent injuries. No one is saying that you have to be jacked to be good at basketball.

Reactions: IUgradman
You obviously have not played or coached the game at any level since 1975. No one who has would ever say something this stupid. And by the way, there is plenty of time for players to do both - and they all do, most beginning about their freshman year in high school.
Exactly. And there seems to be a disturbing amount of people who don’t understand that they can’t have regular practices all year long. There are certain times where all they are allowed to do is work with strength and conditioning coaches. They have to work on their shot in their own time.

@Blobby do you understand this? There are large chunks of the year where the only organized “practices” they can have are with strength coaches. These are NCAA rules.

Oh and I think the so called creepy pictures are simply motivation for Race and the fan base.

It shows me that the kid is taking this seriously and I already am a big fan of his for the work ethic he's shown during his redshirt year.

Plus Race has worked hard...show the world how much you've changed. Nice job kid!!
If that guy is disturbed by a grown man working out without a shirt, he better not follow IU’s Twitter account. Because a lot of the off-season workout videos consist of shirtless men.

Yeah, dude is definitely not going to pull another Priller on us. My biggest concern is ... why the hell did he redshirt in the first place! He could have helped a lot more from a talent and IQ standpoint than the McZeroStatlineTwins ... and I mean probably still without the fitness efforts

That was the plan from the very beginning. IIRC he; reclassified from Class of 2018, he was coming off an injury and needed the extra time to hit the much needed weight room.

Reactions: RBB89
If that guy is disturbed by a grown man working out without a shirt, he better not follow IU’s Twitter account. Because a lot of the off-season workout videos consist of shirtless men.
Plus, certain ministers on this board tend to call the players "young men" and say they're proud of them.

Buckner was naturally built like a brick you-know-what house. He probably never lifted a weight in his life. Heck, he led the Big Ten in football kick off returns his freshman year, the only year he played the game. His runs looked like an effortless glide. Jay Edwards had that kind of movement, too. It doesn't happen in an athlete very often, but when it does and he has "IU" on his jersey, it is a pure joy to watch.

Quinn was an Illinois All State Football player so I'm sure he did some weight training.

Quinn was an Illinois All State Football player so I'm sure he did some weight training.
True, but high school football weight training over 40 years ago doesn't compare to college level weight training today. Plus, steroids were being popped like vitamins. Have you noticed how chiseled the upper arms are now, compared to the arms of yesteryear?

I cannot fathom the idea that in 2018, we actually have fans who don’t believe that strength training/conditioning is important in playing Big Ten basketball. I mean…
Time much better spent working on one's two hand set shot.

Stupidity runs wild on here. Dude getting bulked up has nothing to do with basketball skill. Helps on the margins if he’s good at basketball. All the giddy reaction to the picture without knowing his basketball skill is dumb. Proceed.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Stupidity runs wild on here. Dude getting bulked up has nothing to do with basketball skill. Helps on the margins if he’s good at basketball. All the giddy reaction to the picture without knowing his basketball skill is dumb. Proceed.
Nobody says you don't have to be a good basketball layer first. I want basketball players who are athletic and not athletes trying to play basketball.. If you don't think guys like Alford worked out in the off season then you are nuts. With all the moving off the ball he did and fighting through screens he had to be in great shape and have great strength. With the highlights I have watched on Thompson he is a very good prospect who needed to tone his body to compete at this level.

Why do schools have strength and conditioning coaches for their bball programs? Guess it's a waste of money.

Neither does being tall. How do you think a team of 5'6", 130lb but highly skilled players would fare in D1 basketball? Just like only being tall or strong isn't enough, neither is just being skilled. A combination of the three produces the best results. Just look at LeBron James.

Neither does being tall. How do you think a team of 5'6", 130lb but highly skilled players would fare in D1 basketball? Just like only being tall or strong isn't enough, neither is just being skilled. A combination of the three produces the best results. Just look at LeBron James.
LaRoid Huge Noggin?

Correct message, bad example

He must not be good since he's at IU...

This debate is odd. When a kid works this hard to remake his body, it shows a level of commitment and work effort that most would applaud. It's no guarantee of better play, but it certainly cannot hurt. And what are the odds he hasn't been working on his game at the same time?

We should at least be able to agree that better strength and conditioning is preferred over the Priller-technique. Race has a better chance staying on the court now than when he started. Holding his ground in the post, preventing fatigue fouls, being able to defend bigger players are just a few benefits of his work, and that is just common sense.

This debate is odd. When a kid works this hard to remake his body, it shows a level of commitment and work effort that most would applaud. It's no guarantee of better play, but it certainly cannot hurt. And what are the odds he hasn't been working on his game at the same time?

We should at least be able to agree that better strength and conditioning is preferred over the Priller-technique. Race has a better chance staying on the court now than when he started. Holding his ground in the post, preventing fatigue fouls, being able to defend bigger players are just a few benefits of his work, and that is just common sense.
the only one arguing against it is Blobby and I think it's because he's bored...

Strength and conditioning is nice but I want to see it translate into good basketball play. There were some good transformations under Crean but it usually didnt result in better play. Also, why is his scar/birthmark on the other side of his body in the after picture?
Most weight rooms have giant mirrors.

the only one arguing against it is Blobby and I think it's because he's bored...

Either that or it's a big miscommunication.

I bet if you asked Blobby "would you consider nutrition, and weight training as one very important factor in a basketball players level of success" the answer would likely be yes.

And if you asked everyone arguing on the other spectrum "would you agree that there is a direct correlation between being in great physical shape and being a great basketball player" the answer would likely be no. If that correlation did exist we could try a new recruiting strategy and go after all of the most "in shape", "buffed" people on the planet whether they have ever played basketball before or not.

I bet if you asked Blobby "would you consider nutrition, and weight training as one very important factor in a basketball players level of success" the answer would likely be yes.

And if you asked everyone arguing on the other spectrum "would you agree that there is a direct correlation between being in great physical shape and being a great basketball player" the answer would likely be no. If that correlation did exist we could try a new recruiting strategy and go after all of the most "in shape", "buffed" people on the planet whether they have ever played basketball before or not.
Well, when someone speaks in absolutes like he did and says there is zero correlation...he's just wrong and that is what I was arguing against

But no one said strength training was the only factor involved in being a successful basketball player. The OP was simply pointing out how hard Race has worked and that he’s ready to compete physically now. Then Blobby randomly went on an old man rant about whatever it is he’s upset about.

But no one said strength training was the only factor involved in being a successful basketball player. The OP was simply pointing out how hard Race has worked and that he’s ready to compete physically now. Then Blobby randomly went on an old man rant about whatever it is he’s upset about.
Actually, I didn’t write anything. I just posted a tweet, because I wanted other people to see how Race had developed. People were asking.

It's a different world today because of social media. I remember after Calbert Cheaney's freshman yr he came back more muscular and defined. He had a good freshman year, but you could tell he was a lot better as a sophomore. The thing was we never what he looked like till he got on the court. He could have been eating twinkies and pizza all summer and we would have never known until we saw the overweight guy in the fall at Midnight Madness. Today kids and some adults alike tweet about everything and want you to be updated about it all.

What the hell are you talking about?

LARGE

LARGE

LARGE

LARGE

LARGE

If skinny floats his boat, he must have very fond memories of Phil Isenberger, Glen Grunwald, and Chuck Franz.

If you actually have to explain why weight training is beneficial in basketball, you're probably talking to someone that doesn't know the game well enough to comprehend even simple things and are probably wasting your time. I mean, some people are just too dumb to waste time speaking to and this person is a great example.

Last edited:
Kevin Durant says hello.
There aren’t many better conditioned athletes in pro sports than KD. And though he has a trim body type, don’t be fooled into not thinking he’s strong as hell. Kevin McHale was like that too.

Wow. Now give me skinny Romeo. Isiah, Alford, Cheaney, Henderson, Buckner, Benson, Jeffries, etc. Wake me up when having a muscular build becomes part of winning indiana basketball. Be quick, shoot the hell out of the ball, be smart.

Really? Muscle is a GOOD thing to have in any sport and I have yet to see an area where muscle is a detriment. Especially as physical as basketball can be now. Without strength you can't finish through contact or gain position under the boards.
Not according to Tom Brady and his trainer. They claim pliability is the secret, not big muscles, to being 40 and still able to put up big numbers like he did ten years ago.

Not according to Tom Brady and his trainer. They claim pliability is the secret, not big muscles, to being 40 and still able to put up big numbers like he did ten years ago.

If one lifts and doesn't stretch, one is just asking for problems. I would bet a large amount of money that stretching is a regular function of IU's workouts. Conversely, I would bet that TB works with weights to be strong. Being strong doesn't always have to correlate to big muscles.

Race is getting ripped but in no way is he ready for the Mr. Olympia competition. Two different ways of training, two different results.

If one lifts and doesn't stretch, one is just asking for problems. I would bet a large amount of money that stretching is a regular function of IU's workouts. Conversely, I would bet that TB works with weights to be strong. Being strong doesn't always have to correlate to big muscles.

Race is getting ripped but in no way is he ready for the Mr. Olympia competition. Two different ways of training, two different results.
Stretching is huge and if you go early to the games you see the kids laid out on the floor for many minutes stretching themselves with bands and such. Occasionally a trainer will even be there helping one get better stretches in. I suspect it is a regular part of every practice.

Actually shows how little you paid attention to those kids...Isiah one of the strongest guards we ever had, Buckner (former football player) manhandled guards on the defensive end partly because of his strength, and Jeffries was way stronger than he looked!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT