ADVERTISEMENT

Who here has driven an OTR semi?

Curious what it’s about. Like, what do you do if you have to take a leak? I mean, those miles aren’t sliding by while you’re stopped at a rest area. Do the companies provide you with SiriusXM in your cab? Is CB still a thing? ‘Cause if it is, I’ve got a paperback guidebook to the lingo that dates back to the “Convoy” era.

Any insight is appreciated. Thinking of a career change from “loser” to “long haul.”

P.S. If anyone’s interested in the book I referenced, I’d be happy to dig it out of my library and provide excerpts.
Buy a condom style urine bag to take a leak.

Do you have your CDL? All states went to the Federal regs on February 7th and if you didn’t take and pass all written tests prior to that date and the driving skills test within 6 months, you’re now required to attend a CDL trading program that can costs $4500 and up

• Wow
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Buy a condom style urine bag to take a leak.

Do you have your CDL? All states went to the Federal regs on February 7th and if you didn’t take and pass all written tests prior to that date and the driving skills test within 6 months, you’re now required to attend a CDL trading program that can costs $4500 and up
No, but I’m seriously considering getting into this.

And thanks for the tip. I assume it works in a car, too.

OVR? Local? Hotshot? Oilfield?
I have no clear idea yet. I’m still in an investigative stage about it. I don’t think I would want to be an owner-operator, but that’s about as far as I’ve gotten.

It would be a complete change from anything I’ve done previously. I’m sure there are a huge number of considerations of which I’m not even yet aware.

Curious what it’s about. Like, what do you do if you have to take a leak? I mean, those miles aren’t sliding by while you’re stopped at a rest area. Do the companies provide you with SiriusXM in your cab? Is CB still a thing? ‘Cause if it is, I’ve got a paperback guidebook to the lingo that dates back to the “Convoy” era.

Any insight is appreciated. Thinking of a career change from “loser” to “long haul.”

P.S. If anyone’s interested in the book I referenced, I’d be happy to dig it out of my library and provide excerpts.
It was over 30 years ago but my best man was a farmer that owned their own semi for hauling their crops and hauled for others. He let me drive the tractor without the trailer around a few times. It wasn't too hard to get started. I didn't get through many gears due to the tight spaces o their lot. I wanted to try to back a trailer or at least pull a trailer but never had the chance.

His tractor had a sleeper. He used to take his wife when they were dating on trips to the grain elevator.. There were often lines they had to wait to unload. It is most likely that his first born was conceived in his green Kenworth.

Driving on an interstate might not be too bad, but it would be a pain to drive through a town in traffic.

I imagine that any significant sized trucking company these days has automated GPS tracking on every semi and sets strict limits on mandatory rest breaks. Hell, that might be set by OSHA these days.

So if you are not 100% independent, it might not be your choice to drive by the truck stops every now and then.
FMCSA actually. See 49 CFR 395.15

Bud Lite long neck works too.
ge2BRX7.jpg

?

No, but I’m seriously considering getting into this.

And thanks for the tip. I assume it works in a car, too.
Amazon has several options to chose from, you can do a test run in the car.

I retired from an office job a year ago and bought a small dump truck to deliver stone and topsoil in a 30 mile radius. I also drive a semi hauling grain for a couple local farmers part time, so all of my driving is in a 30-40 mile radius. I don’t do any OTR driving to speak about that with any knowledge.

Many trucking companies are so desperate for help that they’re doing their own driver training and testing programs or will send you to one of the schools and pay for it. With the CDL requirements and then obtaining DOT numbers to do interstate commerce, International Fuel Permits, and all of the compliance required, I wouldn’t want to start out as an owner/operator

Amazon has several options to chose from, you can do a test run in the car.

I retired from an office job a year ago and bought a small dump truck to deliver stone and topsoil in a 30 mile radius. I also drive a semi hauling grain for a couple local farmers part time, so all of my driving is in a 30-40 mile radius. I don’t do any OTR driving to speak about that with any knowledge.

Many trucking companies are so desperate for help that they’re doing their own driver training and testing programs or will send you to one of the schools and pay for it. With the CDL requirements and then obtaining DOT numbers to do interstate commerce, International Fuel Permits, and all of the compliance required, I wouldn’t want to start out as an owner/operator
I’m helping my nephew with his trucks. He’s now learning how difficult all the laws can be. Record keeping is very important. I told him his first year or so will want to make him use tanarite and gas on his trucks. He’s finally in a groove.

Where is this? Is that a photo you took? Why do you think it’s funny to taunt me?

I want to live in that neighborhood.
Helping my brother haul corn this weekend.

The worst part is driving through town and the stoplights. Second worst part is waiting in line at ADM.

Best part is that I can get out and take a leak...no gatorade bottles, diapers, piss condoms or bud light longnecks needed. Second best part is mom still cooks a mean meal for everyone.

Helping my brother haul corn this weekend.

The worst part is driving through town and the stoplights. Second worst part is waiting in line at ADM.

Best part is that I can get out and take a leak...no gatorade bottles, diapers, piss condoms or bud light longnecks needed. Second best part is mom still cooks a mean meal for everyone.
NICE.

Tell everyone I said hi.

Will do.

I think it's pork chops for dinner today. I'll save you one.
By any chance, does your brother need laborers on his farm? I’m very open to relocating down there, taking a room in his house, slowly insinuating myself into the family, and turning it all into some kind of awful Lifetime or Netflix Original made-for-television horrorshow.

• Haha
By any chance, does your brother need laborers on his farm? I’m very open to relocating down there, taking a room in his house, slowly insinuating myself into the family, and turning it all into some kind of awful Lifetime or Netflix Original made-for-television horrorshow.
We already have a sister in law who has done most of that, so you'll have to fight her for the spot. She's pretty damn tough too. She managed to get a brother in law booted who she didn't like. Those city girls know how to play the game at a higher level.

• Wow
Reactions: Radio Zero
We already have a sister in law who has done most of that, so you'll have to fight her for the spot. She's pretty damn tough too. She managed to get a brother in law booted who she didn't like. Those city girls know how to play the game at a higher level.
Rats.

I already had a scene running through my mind wherein, after your brother’s “unfortunate” and “unanticipated” death at a too-early age, your mother sadly drives the truck into town for an appointment with the country lawyer with whom she’s gone to the same church for a half century. Probably some Cash music playing (quietly, as though coming from the radio) as she pulls up to the curb and walks into his office at the sole intersection. Lawyer pulls the will out of a safe behind his desk, regretfully lights a cigarette, and then informs her she’s been completely cut out of the estate in favor of someone whose name is - entirely unbelievably and yet there it is in black and white, over and over in the document - “Radio Zero.”

She’s sobbing uncontrollably as the scene cuts to you oiling Daddy’s rifle to something by the Clash. “Guns of Brixton,” maybe, maybe too obvious. Lemme think on it.

EDIT. Town without pity/town called Malice.

Last edited:
Rats.

I already had a scene running through my mind wherein, after your brother’s “unfortunate” and “unanticipated” death at a too-early age, your mother sadly drives the truck into town for an appointment with the country lawyer with whom she’s gone to the same church for a half century. Probably some Cash music playing (quietly, as though coming from the radio) as she pulls up to the curb and walks into his office at the sole intersection. Lawyer pulls the will out of a safe behind his desk, regretfully lights a cigarette, and then informs her she’s been completely cut out of the estate in favor of someone whose name is - entirely unbelievably and yet there it is in black and white, over and over in the document - “Radio Zero.”

She’s sobbing uncontrollably as the scene cuts to you oiling Daddy’s rifle to something by the Clash. “Guns of Brixton,” maybe, maybe too obvious. Lemme think on it.

You sure you want to be a trucker?

Rats.

We'll need to work on the storyline. Dad's still in the picture as well as the lawyer that set up all the LLCs and trust. Then there's your main nemesis, the SiL and her family of outsiders, vying for control.

I'm thinking a Yellowstone type storyline with vibes from The Ranch.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
We'll need to work on the storyline. Dad's still in the picture as well as the lawyer that set up all the LLCs and trust. Then there's your main nemesis, the SiL and her family of outsiders, vying for control.

I'm thinking a Yellowstone type storyline with vibes from The Ranch.
I don’t watch television so I’m counting on you as my spirit guide. And remember: I’m aiming for TRASH television here.

P.S. I caught that stealth editing. Not cool.

Anyway, it’s at this point in the thread that @frikkenfrakken makes his presence known and says that no real lawyer is going to alter anything to include an obvious pseudonym such as “Radio Zero.” But what he doesn’t know is that I took brother Hooky one late fall morning to Huntington, where the anonymity of the big town allowed for an attorney who was willing to make quick work of it in an hour for a cheap and dirty dollar. Getting back into my Scion xB, driving across the Wabash, we both knew then that everything had changed.

Anyway, it’s at this point in the thread that @frikkenfrakken makes his presence known and says that no real lawyer is going to alter anything to include an obvious pseudonym such as “Radio Zero.” But what he doesn’t know is that I took brother Hooky one late fall morning to Huntington, where the anonymity of the big town allowed for an attorney who was willing to make quick work of it in an hour for a cheap and dirty dollar. Getting back into my Scion xB, driving across the Wabash, we both knew then that everything had changed.
Heh. I checked out of this convo 3 days ago, and I'm too invested in the Phillies win to go scroll back through it.

It's funny that you mention Huntington though, because I will be appearing there in the morning.

Non-Radio Zero edit: ok, I actually checked out yesterday.

Reactions: Radio Zero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT