ADVERTISEMENT

Who here has driven an OTR semi?

Nice. I actually have *two* books I took off my deceased maternal grandfather-in-law.

“Dictionary of CB Lingo - 1977 Update,” by The Editors of “Elementary Electronics,” © 1976, Davis Publications, Inc.

AND

“All About CB Two-Way Radio,” by Hy Siegel (yes, for real) and Radio Shack’s Technical Staff (yes, for real), © 1977, Radio Shack (second edition, first printing).

Man, if only I could upload the covers of these babies …

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Nice. I actually have *two* books I took off my deceased maternal grandfather-in-law.

“Dictionary of CB Lingo - 1977 Update,” by The Editors of “Elementary Electronics,” © 1976, Davis Publications, Inc.

AND

“All About CB Two-Way Radio,” by Hy Siegel (yes, for real) and Radio Shack’s Technical Staff (yes, for real), © 1977, Radio Shack (second edition, first printing).

Man, if only I could upload the covers of these babies …
I bet they cover all the “10” codes like it’s another book of the Bible.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Most rest stops are full of trucks for that reason. The trucking industry is way different than it used to be. Their is no cooking the books or doubling the books. It’s all tracked now.
Yeah, sure it is.

You ever been audited?
No, but I have a cousin who drives from Indiana to Texas and back - straight through - every week.

He keeps 2 sets of books, so I know it still happens. I agree it's more difficult than it used to be.

No, but I have a cousin who drives from Indiana to Texas and back - straight through - every week.

He keeps 2 sets of books, so I know it still happens. I agree it's more difficult than it used to be.
Independent drivers get away with it easier. Company drivers don’t. He gets caught and it’s not like it used to be. A lot of drivers were getered out. 🤣

Independent drivers get away with it easier. Company drivers don’t. He gets caught and it’s not like it used to be. A lot of drivers were getered out. 🤣
Yeah, he's independent. I agree driving for a company is way different.

I am trying to figure out what is becoming a puzzle to me... I want to be a local driver. I don't want OTR work. I just want to drive locally, a "regular" shift and come home. I know it won't pay 100K+, and that is fine (I'm not looking for $10.00 hour either - lets not get crazy...). Problem is I keep running into these "companies" who want to have you doing overnights, weeks, even month long runs and I am NOT interested. I had this one company ask me when I was available to work. They got all happy when I said immediately - and THEN drop a bomb on me, telling me I had to go to Utah for 3 weeks (I'm in Georgia). I still have to get my CDL A, which I don't see as a problem, but then there is the physical training. Obviously I don't have a big rig parked in my driveway so I'm looking at places to get all that training, and endorsements (I had a lot of great help in my other post, btw). But now the problem is expectations from these companies providing "training". If they all expect me to drive cross country for them, even though that is not my goal by any stretch of the imagination - then maybe I'm in the wrong industry? I hate to think that, but unless someone can tell me better - how can I get all of my required skills and endorsements without being forced, at some point, to drive for days or weeks at a time??? That doesn't help me get where I want to be at all.
Shut up, bitch. This is my thread.

I am trying to figure out what is becoming a puzzle to me... I want to be a local driver. I don't want OTR work. I just want to drive locally, a "regular" shift and come home. I know it won't pay 100K+, and that is fine (I'm not looking for $10.00 hour either - lets not get crazy...). Problem is I keep running into these "companies" who want to have you doing overnights, weeks, even month long runs and I am NOT interested. I had this one company ask me when I was available to work. They got all happy when I said immediately - and THEN drop a bomb on me, telling me I had to go to Utah for 3 weeks (I'm in Georgia). I still have to get my CDL A, which I don't see as a problem, but then there is the physical training. Obviously I don't have a big rig parked in my driveway so I'm looking at places to get all that training, and endorsements (I had a lot of great help in my other post, btw). But now the problem is expectations from these companies providing "training". If they all expect me to drive cross country for them, even though that is not my goal by any stretch of the imagination - then maybe I'm in the wrong industry? I hate to think that, but unless someone can tell me better - how can I get all of my required skills and endorsements without being forced, at some point, to drive for days or weeks at a time??? That doesn't help me get where I want to be at all.
I had a perfect job once. Digging coal in my living room. Lasted one day.

Don’t know who told you truckers got to tell trucking companies how they would drive, when and where. But you oughta find them and slap them. They mis-lied to you.

Here‘s a rule - “bosses make the rules.”

OTR is
I am trying to figure out what is becoming a puzzle to me... I want to be a local driver. I don't want OTR work. I just want to drive locally, a "regular" shift and come home. I know it won't pay 100K+, and that is fine (I'm not looking for $10.00 hour either - let’s not get crazy...). Problem is I keep running into these "companies" who want to have you doing overnights, weeks, even month long runs and I am NOT interested. I had this one company ask me when I was available to work. They got all happy when I said immediately - and THEN drop a bomb on me, telling me I had to go to Utah for 3 weeks (I'm in Georgia). I still have to get my CDL A, which I don't see as a problem, but then there is the physical training. Obviously I don't have a big rig parked in my driveway so I'm looking at places to get all that training, and endorsements (I had a lot of great help in my other post, btw). But now the problem is expectations from these companies providing "training". If they all expect me to drive cross country for them, even though that is not my goal by any stretch of the imagination - then maybe I'm in the wrong industry? I hate to think that, but unless someone can tell me better - how can I get all of my required skills and endorsements without being forced, at some point, to drive for days or weeks at a time??? That doesn't help me get where I want to be at all.
OTR is the majority of work in this field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT