ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you consider the "Hit King"?

I didn't take OP to be about the greatest hitter of all time. Obviously that's neither Rose nor Ichiro (I would vote Williams or Cobb), but simply a referendum on whether or not Ichiro's Japan hits should "count." I understand why they don't count as part of his MLB totals, but they are still part of his career, and as a fan I see no reason to ignore them. It's not like Japan is tee-ball.

Pete or Ichiro?

As a life long Reds fan, old enough to remember watching Pete in the early 70's, I still think Ichiro deserves strong consideration.

Ichiro's 1st MLB year was at age 27 and he had 242 hits.
I don't see a reason he could not have averaged 200 hits a year in MLB at age 21 - 26. That's 1200 more MLB hits and moves him past Pete.
He did get more At Bats because of the DH, but I don't think that is significant.

I consider Barry Bonds the greatest hitter of all time, but I don't like the fact he used PEDS. In my opinion, Willie Mays was the greatest all around player of all time. I am referring to a combination of batting average, home runs, RBIs, stolen bases and defense.

A lot of people think Hank Aaron was better than Mays, but he wasn't nearly the defensive player or base stealer Mays was when he played for the Giants. Mays also missed about two years early in his career because he was in the military.

As for Aaron, a lot of experts think he used PEDs and they enabled him to hit a lot of homers late in his career. Aaron also played many of his home games at the launching pad, while Mays played at Candlestick Park. The fact Candlestick Park frequently was so windy played a role in the number of Mays' homers because the wind usually was against him.

I consider Barry Bonds the greatest hitter of all time, but I don't like the fact he used PEDS. In my opinion, Willie Mays was the greatest all around player of all time. I am referring to a combination of batting average, home runs, RBIs, stolen bases and defense.

A lot of people think Hank Aaron was better than Mays, but he wasn't nearly the defensive player or base stealer Mays was when he played for the Giants. Mays also missed about two years early in his career because he was in the military.

As for Aaron, a lot of experts think he used PEDs and they enabled him to hit a lot of homers late in his career. Aaron also played many of his home games at the launching pad, while Mays played at Candlestick Park. The fact Candlestick Park frequently was so windy played a role in the number of Mays' homers because the wind usually was against him.

It takes a special breed to slander Hank Aaron.

Reactions: FrankTGucker
I didn't take OP to be about the greatest hitter of all time. Obviously that's neither Rose nor Ichiro (I would vote Williams or Cobb), but simply a referendum on whether or not Ichiro's Japan hits should "count." I understand why they don't count as part of his MLB totals, but they are still part of his career, and as a fan I see no reason to ignore them. It's not like Japan is tee-ball.
Japan = 4A. They don't count, just like Tuffy Rhodes homers in Japan don't count here either.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
They don't count in the official MLB stats, for good reason. But they are still part of his career totals, and I as a fan choose to give him credit for them.
Absolutely but not towards the official record which is why this question is ridiculous about who the all-time hit leader is.

Absolutely but not towards the official record which is why this question is ridiculous about who the all-time hit leader is.
I'm with you on this argument. Ichiro is a great player, and first ballot HOF; but, what happens in Japan is irrelevant.

And in my disdain for Joe Morgan, although I did enjoy mimicking his elbow jerk when I played ball as a yute.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
Good point on Candlestick. Right center at ATT park was massive. It was also cold and windy there. Had Bonds played at Yankee Stadium, no question he has many HR's

I don't think anyone is claiming Japan stats should count as official major league stats. The question is simply a matter of individual response. I, individually, choose to recognize Ichiro's full career. He had more career hits than Rose. Full stop. I do not think MLB should change their policies in order to include all of those Japanese hits as though they were MLB hits, however. MLB stats are for what happened in MLB.

It would be like asking, "Who is the goal king between Alan Shearer and Pele?" Pele had many more career goals, but none of them happened in England, Spain, or Germany, so they don't count, right? Well, I'd never expect the EPL to add Pele's stats to their record books, obviously, because that would be stupid, but they still belong on his career resume, and he's still the goal king to me.

I don't think anyone is claiming Japan stats should count as official major league stats. The question is simply a matter of individual response. I, individually, choose to recognize Ichiro's full career. He had more career hits than Rose. Full stop. I do not think MLB should change their policies in order to include all of those Japanese hits as though they were MLB hits, however. MLB stats are for what happened in MLB.

It would be like asking, "Who is the goal king between Alan Shearer and Pele?" Pele had many more career goals, but none of them happened in England, Spain, or Germany, so they don't count, right? Well, I'd never expect the EPL to add Pele's stats to their record books, obviously, because that would be stupid, but they still belong on his career resume, and he's still the goal king to me.

Well, that makes perfect sense. I feel you on the individual response. It sounded like you thought MLB should count Ichiro's hits in Japan on their official records.

Well, that makes perfect sense. I feel you on the individual response. It sounded like you thought MLB should count Ichiro's hits in Japan on their official records.
No, I agree that would be dumb. MLB stats are for what people did in MLB. However, I do think when he is inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame (as opposed to the MLB Hall of Fame), it would be appropriate to have a notation of his career total with his plaque.

No, I agree that would be dumb. MLB stats are for what people did in MLB. However, I do think when he is inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame (as opposed to the MLB Hall of Fame), it would be appropriate to have a notation of his career total with his plaque.
Well, yeah. I think it would even be appropriate to have his Japan stats on his plaque at Cooperstown, but as a separate acknowledgment as you said.

@TheOriginalHappyGoat: Aaron hit 42 home runs over his last 3 seasons. In his last 5 seasons, he didn't drive in 100 runs. His batting averages over his last 5 seasons: .265, .301, .268, .234, and .229.

Please don't tell me he was doping with numbers like that at the end of his career. Your beef drapes are hanging lower than Hope Solo's on this one.

McNutt just hates Aaron because he broke a white man's record. How dare that uppity negro hit more homers than the Babe?

Reactions: mike41703
@McNutt76: I am not going to debate anything with you. You rarely let facts or rational thought enter into your arguments. You disrespect the sport you profess to love by bending the rules yourself. You are the last person that gets to point the finger at cheaters, cheater.

Reactions: IUecho87 and HA2740
@TheOriginalHappyGoat: Aaron hit 42 home runs over his last 3 seasons. In his last 5 seasons, he didn't drive in 100 runs. His batting averages over his last 5 seasons: .265, .301, .268, .234, and .229.

Please don't tell me he was doping with numbers like that at the end of his career. Your beef drapes are hanging lower than Hope Solo's on this one.
I didn't say he was doping. Don't be a gash. I just said it wasn't outrageous. Like a lot of players at that time, he showed pretty impressive power in his late thirties, with a significant drop after 1973 - the year that Congress released their first steroids report, and everyone supposedly backed off on the doping for a couple of years.

McNutt just hates Aaron because he broke a white man's record. How dare that uppity negro hit more homers than the Babe?
That's probably true, and it's what I was going to respond with originally.

@The OriginalHappyGoat: I am not being a gash by pointing out that only 4 times in last 13 seasons did Aaron drive in more than 100 RBI. There is a clear apex in his career, and a decline. There was no Bonds-esque resurgence. Your assertion that he MAY have doped even appears to be invalid, as his power number stayed consistent until he was simply too old.

I am not being a gash, I am just telling you that argument in this case, is without merit. You are literally tripping over your sausage wallet flaps by taking the baton from McNuttz on this one.

Reactions: Hoops Cat
@The OriginalHappyGoat: I am not being a gash by pointing out that only 4 times in last 13 seasons did Aaron drive in more than 100 RBI. There is a clear apex in his career, and a decline. There was no Bonds-esque resurgence. Your assertion that he MAY have doped even appears to be invalid, as his power number stayed consistent until he was simply too old.

I am not being a gash, I am just telling you that argument in this case, is without merit. You are literally tripping over your sausage wallet flaps by taking the baton from McNuttz on this one.
All I said was that it was possible. Jesus.

Willie Mays is my favorite player of all time. The last time I checked, he isn't white. vbg

@McNutt76: I am not going to debate anything with you. You rarely let facts or rational thought enter into your arguments. You disrespect the sport you profess to love by bending the rules yourself. You are the last person that gets to point the finger at cheaters, cheater.

I assume you are referring to the bunkers on our East Nine. It merely is a suggestion that my golf group take relief from them if we ever play the East Nine because they would have to be classified as "ground under repair" if there ever was a golfing event held on that nine. They are an absolute joke and are dangerous to play out of at this time because they are just like concrete.

Some of my best friends are colored folk.

So are mine. When I was a senior at IU, we drove down to Florida during spring break. On the way there, we stayed at a home in Tennessee because it was the home of one members of our group. He happened to be black, by the way.

The next day was Sunday, so we went to his church that morning. It was a black church and we were the only white people there that day. The members of the church treated us like royalty.

A couple of years ago, our son was dating a black woman from Chicago. She used to stay all night at our home several times a month and we enjoyed being around her. When she went to church with us, our fellow members treated her like royalty.

So are mine. When I was a senior at IU, we drove down to Florida during spring break. On the way there, we stayed at a home in Tennessee because it was the home of one members of our group. He happened to be black, by the way.

The next day was Sunday, so we went to his church that morning. It was a black church and we were the only white people there that day. The members of the church treated us like royalty.

A couple of years ago, our son was dating a black woman from Chicago. She used to stay all night at our home several times a month and we enjoyed being around her. When she went to church with us, our fellow members treated her like royalty.

Lol

Reactions: burnthemallralphie

...and here's a pic of his son and ex....

d4bcfde93658b7cdb5d142f16a8f71e1.jpg

@Hoops Cat: Obtaining genius level on the AOTF is like being the best student in special education.

I thought it clear I was just messing with Goat, but I appear to have annoyed him.

#maketheAOTFgreatagain

The real NL MVP candidates right now are Daniel Murphy and Max Scherzer.
Hell, third likeliest is another Nat, Strasburg.
Arenado is in the next tier down, with Bryant and Rizzo.
Well, Kris Bryant has a healthy lead in the NL in WAR at the moment at 5.7 to Murphy's 4.4. Again, that isn't a perfect stat, but I'd say the best player on the best team is most likely to win the MVP. The best player on the best team in the NL this year is Bryant or Rizzo, who has a higher OPS than Bryant.

Murphy has been unbelievable with his continued voodoo magic, but he's a penis. The voters will look for any reason not to vote for him. KB's higher WAR and Rizzo's pure awesomeness means one of those two will probably win it, unless they split the vote.

@PtownHoosier:

Prior to getting hurt, I would have said Carpenter had a great argument (his OPS was over 1.000), but his team is mediocre. Sports writers are mostly morons. A lot of them will look at stats like BA and use that against Rizzo. I don't think a pitcher should be eligible for MVP unless it is a truly great season, like Arrieta's last season. A pitcher plays in 1/5 of his team's games.

Rizzo is 4th in RBI; Bryant is 2nd in homers. Neither are in the top 20 in BA. The vote will be influenced by old writers vs new, WAR vs old measurements, and if (as you mentioned) Bryant and Rizzo split the vote.

@PtownHoosier:

Prior to getting hurt, I would have said Carpenter had a great argument (his OPS was over 1.000), but his team is mediocre. Sports writers are mostly morons. A lot of them will look at stats like BA and use that against Rizzo. I don't think a pitcher should be eligible for MVP unless it is a truly great season, like Arrieta's last season. A pitcher plays in 1/5 of his team's games.

Rizzo is 4th in RBI; Bryant is 2nd in homers. Neither are in the top 20 in BA. The vote will be influenced by old writers vs new, WAR vs old measurements, and if (as you mentioned) Bryant and Rizzo split the vote.
Batting average doesn't mean much anymore to smart baseball people. Like you said though, some of the idiot dinosaur writers still value it and number of hits, RBI, etc. way too much. I could see there being another Trout vs Cabrera type MVP vote, with the new school guys going with Trout and the old school guys with Cabera. So you could be right, but don't underestimate what a dick Murphy is. If it's close he won't win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT