ADVERTISEMENT

What would you grow

Sherp

Recruit
Mar 10, 2006
Since we are in the now standard lull about this time of year, I need to put in a garden. Its been years since I have tried a garden and now I am in a situation where it is perfect. The kids need some responsibility this summer, and some reward. I have plenty of yard that could be converted - what would you plant? Where would you buy seeds? Etc. FWIW I have sandy soil but will probably look into enriching it with peat or whatever it takes.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
This post was edited on 3/24 7:23 PM by Sherp

Make sure you grow beans.

Regardless of what you put in your garden, make sure you have various types of legumes spread out throughout the garden. Beans put nitrogen into the soil, which every other plant needs.

As far as everything else goes, once you get your soil put together, do a pH test before you plant anything. Some plants (onions, potatoes, garlic, e.g.) require a lower pH than others, and you might have to acidify the soil to grow them properly.

Certain plants should not be grown from seed in your garden. Tomatoes and peppers are good examples. They should be started indoors in a temperature and humidity controlled area (I cover the starter pots with saran wrap after watering them), and then transplanted. If you don't want to go to that trouble, just buy young plants later in the season.

If your soil is sandy, you'll have problems keeping it moist. Certain plants that crawl on the ground with broad leaves (think squash) will help hold in moisture. As will mulch and hay. In fact, putting a small layer of hay over your garden right after planting seeds and watering is a great way to not only hold in moisture, but also give your seeds a head start before weeds can take root.

goat

Never knew that about legumes

Thanks for that. I have always stuck to the standards like various tomatoes, cukes, etc but that was in Indiana where the soil was crazy good. We have a different situation here and it may be more of a challenge.
Another issue we will have to confront is deer and other varmints taking over. We have a fence install planned for that.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

We do tomatoes, green beans, romaine lettuce, strawberries and were

trying some cabbage & broccoli this year.

I was surprised at how varying the hotness was among the jalapenos.

Some of them weren't very hot so I could just crunch on them. Others were insanely hot and made things hurt.

Agree on the peppers

We did 4 different sets of peppers. Coming from a guy that orders Thai hot at restaurants, we had a set that was so incredibly hot that you couldn't eat them. I made some salsa a couple of times, but that was it.

I would also encourage OP to try Sage, Thyme, and Basil. The basil we last year was outstanding. I would also say cilantro, which is one of my favorites, but I have never had much success at it. We might get 3-4 uses, and that is about it. Not sure what I am doing wromg there.

Tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, green and red peppers

green beans, lettuce, and herbs.

Especially herbs since fresh herbs are expensive at the store.

Basil is a great choice

It holds up well on the plant so you can just cultivate a few leaves here and there as you need them. Rosemary is good too. I was going to try cilantro but the guy at the nursery said don't bother. You pretty much need a whole plant for a couple batches of salsa. Not worth the trouble.

We do lots of chile peppers, jalapenos, serranos, cayennes mostly. Never had much luck with habaneros. Seems like they don't even start coming in until the Fall and we end up with very few. You can't have too many chile peppers. At the end of the season just dry them in a food dehydrator and crush them.

We tried cucumbers one year and the damn things took over the whole garden like a frikkin vegetable monster.

I've noticed the longer you keep them on the plant, the hotter they are.

But I'm sure that varies.

I order the hottest at Thai restaurants, too. Love hot.

Made jalapeno poppers last year and ended up throwing most of them away - the heat was pretty unbearable.

Blah.... the Jack I agree with .. but

Bubba, OG Kush, and Super Lemon Haze would be the rest of my picks.

Yes.

Depends on how much shade you have, but if you have areas of the yard that receive at least three hours of direct sunlight, or have dappled shade (sunlight peaking through) over the course of the entire day, you can grow most leafy greens, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, radishes and some legumes, including some varieties of green beans and peas. A few things, in fact, such as lettuce, actually grow better with a little shade.

goat

this closely reflects my original thoughts

But I have to add more on the bean side of things -

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT