ADVERTISEMENT

What Sports related tragedies affected you the most?

The last minute of the Maryland game Sunday.

well done!

giphy.gif

I didn’t know this about the UE plane crash:

From wiki:
“The only member of the Purple Aces who did not die in the crash was David Furr; he was out for the season with an ankle injury and thus was not on the plane that day. But just two weeks after the crash, Furr and his younger brother Byron were killed in a car accident near Newton, Illinois, leaving the entire 1977 Evansville team dead.”

Wow, what a tragedy.

Also of note is that at the of the previous season Jerry Sloan was hired as the next UE coach, but then decided not to take the job a day later.
This article says that Furr was a statistician for the team.
Either way, it's crazy.
https://www.indystar.com/story/news/history/retroindy/2013/12/13/1977-plane-crash/4001297/

Roberto Clemente
I thought about including him. It happened before ESPN, 24 hour news channels, Twitter, TMZ and all the outlets fighting to be the first with the news and any breaking news.

Despite only having the nightly news and a few baseball games on TV, everyone learned of his death. He died helping others while he was still in his prime. In the baseball world, it was the most shocking and saddest death.

This article says that Furr was a statistician for the team.
Either way, it's crazy.
https://www.indystar.com/story/news/history/retroindy/2013/12/13/1977-plane-crash/4001297/

I've mentioned it on here multiple times, but if you have any interest in IN basketball in general and that UE team and the aftermath, there's a new book out called We Will Rise that I really enjoyed reading. I know a couple folks said they were getting a copy; has anyone else read it now? Thoughts?

I thought of one today that didn't have a heavy personal connection to me, but had some unusual circumstances. Anybody else remember the kidnapping of the Israeli Wrestlers at the 1972 Munich Olympics and their deaths at the hands of the terrorists.
One of the things that was noteworthy was that up to that time we had heard about terrorist attacks around the world, but with only 3 major news networks and limited news slots on TV, we never had in depth coverage of the attacks. With ABC there to cover the Olympics, this was perhaps the first time we had close in depth coverage of this type of story. Unfortunately, this became the defining event of those Olympics.
Ironically, this was the Olympic Game where the Soviet Union beat the US Basketball Team with some strange Officiating, Clock Keeping, and several do overs at the end of the Game. Under normal circumstances that would have been the story of the 1972 Olympics.

Another one, along with the ones you mention, was Payne Stewart's plane crash. The idea of that plane flying along for hours with everyone on board dead was very eerie to me. We were just waiting for the plane to run out of fuel and fall to the ground.

Payne Stewart was my favorite golfer. I hated it when that happened.

Not to make light of real tragedies involving life and death, but the demise of IU's basketball prowess is high on my list.

I believe that Furr was both a player and a statistician, if you will.
He was a walk-on player until an injury sidelined him.
He then assumed the role of a statistician.
I played on the same high school basketball team as David. He was a good guy.
Are you from Olney? My parents grew up there. Were you around when my cousin, Chip Jennings was killed in '81?

I was in Olney a few weeks ago to watch a cousin coach against them.

Are you from Olney? My parents grew up there. Were you around when my cousin, Chip Jennings was killed in '81?

Isn't Olney the town that has a population of rare white albino squirrels? Seriously, I read about this somewhere or saw it on a Travel Clip.

No, I’m from Evansville (Harrison High School, home of the great Calbert Cheaney).

Isn't Olney the town that has a population of rare white albino squirrels? Seriously, I read about this somewhere or saw it on a Travel Clip.
Yeah. I remember seeing white squirrels in my grandma's yard as a kid. They were common but I don't think there are many left. They used to have a lot of them at their city park. I fear many became souvenirs.

We had at least one albino deer in Evansville at Wesselman's Nature Preserve. I saw one next to the road and heard later one had been hit by a car.

No, I’m from Evansville (Harrison High School, home of the great Calbert Cheaney).
My kids went there as well. It is a different school now. It is becoming the new Bosse.

My son was talked into officiating a tournament they sponsored. He had to eject a coach that was one of the organizers and a fan that ran out on the court. They were unhappy that he wasn't allowing more infractions from the Harrison feeder team to be ignored in a game for 3rd graders. If he called everything, he would still be there. He had a standard and treated both teams equal.

Harrison was the best school in the city 15 years ago. Both my kids will not send their kids to Harrison. Our grandkids will go to Memorial. That will be tough to swallow.

Reactions: All4You
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT