ADVERTISEMENT

What is the favorite IU game...

ESalum86

Junior
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2015
...you ever attended? I can't narrow it to just one.

1987: IU 31 OSU 10 Spent the last several minutes of the game walking behind the IU bench with my senior year (class of 1986) roommate on my shoulders, then we stormed the field as the clock ran out. Danced on the "O" at midfield. Priceless.

1988: IU 52 PU 7 The turning point in the game was the National Anthem. The score was not indicative of the game. IU held the ball for something like the last 11 minutes of the game and had a TD called back before taking knees to end the game.

2013: IU 56 PU 36 The first of four straight Bucket wins. IU held a 49 - 9 lead in the 3rd quarter before calling off the dogs. Our streak should still be active.

I have been to several close games against Michigan in Ann Arbor and Bloomington. I was about 12 rows up and the general direction of Lynch's gum throw on that "simultaneous possession" play.

But by far the best game was the bucket game in 2007. We were surrounded by PU fans and I think my wife nearly broke my hand while Austin Starr's kick was in the air.

1987: IU 31 OSU 10 Spent the last several minutes of the game walking behind the IU bench with my senior year (class of 1986) roommate on my shoulders, then we stormed the field as the clock ran out. Danced on the "O" at midfield. Priceless.

1988: IU 52 PU 7 The turning point in the game was the National Anthem. The score was not indicative of the game. IU held the ball for something like the last 11 minutes of the game and had a TD called back before taking knees to end the game.

2013: IU 56 PU 36 The first of four straight Bucket wins. IU held a 49 - 9 lead in the 3rd quarter before calling off the dogs. Our streak should still be active.
1967 - Purdue
1968 -UK
1971 - Purdue
1976 - Purdue
1978 - LSU
1979 - CU
1979 - BYU
1987 - OSU, UM, MSU, UI, UT
1988 - S. Carolina
2007 - Purdue

IU/UM 1999
IU at MSU 2001
IU/UK 2005
IU/MSU 2006
IU/PU 2007
IU/UM 2010
IU/OSU 2017

Last edited:
Reactions: ESalum86
1982 vs Syracuse - won 17-10 in our first ever night game

1987 vs Michigan - won 14-10 in the coldest, rainiest and darkest day game in memory. Was also the loudest home crowd I can remember.

Other memorable games but not wins:

1981 vs USC - lost 21-0 but got to see Marcus Allen play

1993 at Penn State - lost 38-31 in a great game. Largest stadium I've ever been to. Their fans were awesome and the atmosphere was unreal with the stadium whiteout. Was also their first season in the league.

1987 vs Michigan - won 14-10 in the coldest, rainiest and darkest day game in memory. Was also the loudest home crowd I can remember.

1993 at Penn State - lost 38-31 in a great game. Largest stadium I've ever been to. Their fans were awesome and the atmosphere was unreal with the stadium whiteout. Was also their first season in the league.
Lots of great ones stretching back to my student days in the late '70's and before. But the 2007 Bucket game is most special because of all that was involved. Game-winning FG drama, first bowl in years, memorializing Hep, and victory over an arch-rival.

Watching Starr's kick and knowing it was good was a moment of elation unrivaled for me in all my years of watching IU football. Sharing that moment in the stands with my wife (we met at IU as students) and my daughter (who was an IU sophomore at the time) tops all my many other great memories.

Lots of great ones stretching back to my student days in the late '70's and before. But the 2007 Bucket game is most special because of all that was involved. Game-winning FG drama, first bowl in years, memorializing Hep, and victory over an arch-rival.

Watching Starr's kick and knowing it was good was a moment of elation unrivaled for me in all my years of watching IU football. Sharing that moment in the stands with my wife (we met at IU as students) and my daughter (who was an IU sophomore at the time) tops all my many other great memories.
Corso wasn't afraid to schedule anybody back in those days. He gets my respect. Some tough times but great memories. I haven't been to many games since early in the DiNardo years. I've turned into a weekend golfer and record most games to watch later.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
Corso wasn't afraid to schedule anybody back in those days. He gets my respect. Some tough times but great memories. I haven't been to many games since early in the DiNardo years. I've turned into a weekend golfer and record most games to watch later.
Corso never dumbed down the schedule, to his credit. USC, LSU, Nebraska, Washington, Colorado, all in addition to annual games against UK.

I was also at the '93 game....we had a nice team that year.....that was the game when Thomas Lewis went off and had something like 270 rec. yds.......I wouldn't call it a great game for us but rather a memorable one because we had one of our best teams ever, had a WR have a record day, and still lost. So in that sense it was discouraging at the time. Plus the game wasn't really as close as the score indicated. However, the 99 yd TD pass to Lewis was one of our best plays ever.

BTW....if anyone on here ever goes to PSU for an IU game they should stop at the Johnstown Flood site.....very interesting museum there concerning that event.

I was also at the '93 game....we had a nice team that year.....that was the game when Thomas Lewis went off and had something like 270 rec. yds.......I wouldn't call it a great game for us but rather a memorable one because we had one of our best teams ever, had a WR have a record day, and still lost. So in that sense it was discouraging at the time. Plus the game wasn't really as close as the score indicated. However, the 99 yd TD pass to Lewis was one of our best plays ever.

BTW....if anyone on here ever goes to PSU for an IU game they should stop at the Johnstown Flood site.....very interesting museum there concerning that event.
I guess we remember the game a bit differently. That was one of our better offensive outputs for that season. Our normally reliable defense did get worked over that game a bit, but considering Penn State was a year away from going undefeated while having future NFLers all over their offense, I'd still call it at least a very entertaining game. There was no shame in losing that day. Didn't we have a chance to tie it up in the end but ran out of time? Some of the details don't come to mind so maybe you remember more in that aspect.

Edit: IU was driving for the tying score when John Paci threw an interception inside the 10 yard line with a little over a minute left in the game to end any chances.

Last edited:
Same as above...

INDIANA 14
Weasels 10

The icing on that cake was reading Bo whine about we IU fans being too loud... //We had his QB rattled and his line couldn't hear his play calls and check downs...//

That was a very soggy thing of beauty!!!:D

One of my favs as well and for the same ironic reason of Bo sobbing about our little crowd being too loud in the rain. The only time I have ever gone onto a field or court after a game.

Michigan 1987 - I was a frosh at IU.
I saw 70 an 80 year old alums kissing the rain soaked turf that day. The greatest part of it was Bo’s Weekly football show on Sunday. You have to watch it. Can’t find it. Somebody who can find it online, post it.

One of the absolute funnest games ever was MSU at home in 1992. Snowed the night before. IU won 10-0 and were throwing snowballs at the MSU bench and there were students in verbal altercations all game long with MSU players. They were getting pelted.

Michigan 1987 - I was a frosh at IU.
I saw 70 an 80 year old alums kissing the rain soaked turf that day. The greatest part of it was Bo’s Weekly football show on Sunday. You have to watch it. Can’t find it. Somebody who can find it online, post it.

One of the absolute funnest games ever was MSU at home in 1992. Snowed the night before. IU won 10-0 and were throwing snowballs at the MSU bench and there were students in verbal altercations all game long with MSU players. They were getting pelted.

Going for the tie at Michigan in 1979 didn’t sit well. Those were the days of no OT. Many IU fans thought that was pretty gutless.

Corso did some things that made fans question his seriousness about winning and losing.

Going for the tie at Michigan in 1979 didn’t sit well. Those were the days of no OT. Many IU fans thought that was pretty gutless.

Corso did some things that made fans question his seriousness about winning and losing.
I can't speak for everybody, but a tie to Michigan on the road would have been as good as a win. The ending didn't go as planned, so going for two wouldn't have mattered. And the earlier loss to a bad Colorado team was a much worse loss.

I can't speak for everybody, but a tie to Michigan on the road would have been as good as a win. The ending didn't go as planned, so going for two wouldn't have mattered. And the earlier loss to a bad Colorado team was a much worse loss.
You're correct. Playing for a tie, even if the ending doesn't occur as it did, had great value then, especially after the late comeback.

myself and everyone else i knew thought going for 1 and the tie was the right call.

at Mich, at the time, a tie was almost the same as a win for IU, and a loss for UM.

How much of that game do you recall?

Well....I was a young kid and was with family and a group of other neighborhood IU faithful listening to Don. The glaring thing was the heave out of bounds on the ensuing possession of the ball by the Mich RB, Reid maybe?. That is now illegal, maybe it was up to interpretation then, but he pitched the ball forward out of bounds around our 44 to stop the clock. Corso had opted for the tie and Harangody made the kick prior to that. I’m only going off the majority of the fans that were with us that day but you have your last possession and a chance to go for 2 in the Big House, and the win, and we opted for the tie instead. I guess Corso thought that was a better resume builder to play to a draw. Felt like a moral victory tactic.

And your take?

Well....I was a young kid and was with family and a group of other neighborhood IU faithful listening to Don. The glaring thing was the heave out of bounds on the ensuing possession of the ball by the Mich RB, Reid maybe?. That is now illegal, maybe it was up to interpretation then, but he pitched the ball forward out of bounds around our 44 to stop the clock. Corso had opted for the tie and Harangody made the kick prior to that. I’m only going off the majority of the fans that were with us that day but you have your last possession and a chance to go for 2 in the Big House, and the win, and we opted for the tie instead. I guess Corso thought that was a better resume builder to play to a draw. Felt like a moral victory tactic.

And your take?
IU was down the entire game and caught them at the end. It’s obviously subjective, but a tie in those days had value (Mal tied Mizzou one year). Given the comeback, on the road and against a team that had IU’s number for over a decade, I think most people understood what Corso was doing there. Unfortunately, the end was a disaster. And Dave Harangody was the tight end, not the kicker (Kevin Kellogg was the 1st team PK).

I think you’re correct that it was Lawrence Reid who threw the ball out of bounds (Corso caught it), enabling the last play to Anthony Carter. I knew Wilbur pretty well and he never lived that play down, though it was a perfect storm of missed tackles that made it happen. Somewhere, you can find the UM radio call with their legendary play by play guy, Bob Ufer, losing his mind as the play unfolded.

I remember that 1982 Syracuse night game. I was an undergrad. Student area was rowdy. I remember someone opening the top on one of those huge mustard "barrels" and letting it fly in the stands, just a few rows to the north of my seat. Out of the corner of my eye I saw this large yellow "shooting star" leaving a yellow trail on all who were under its path. Surprisingly, I don't remember anyone getting mad, even though I am sure that yellow stuff was a mess. Someone correct me, but didn't Gunn have a pretty good game.

Reactions: RBB89
I remember that 1982 Syracuse night game. I was an undergrad. Student area was rowdy. I remember someone opening the top on one of those huge mustard "barrels" and letting it fly in the stands, just a few rows to the north of my seat. Out of the corner of my eye I saw this large yellow "shooting star" leaving a yellow trail on all who were under its path. Surprisingly, I don't remember anyone getting mad, even though I am sure that yellow stuff was a mess. Someone correct me, but didn't Gunn have a pretty good game.
LARGE

LARGE

LARGE

LARGE

LARGE

LARGE

LARGE

LARGE

The best recollection I have for the game was IU got an early lead and held on late. The offense shot itself in the foot at least 3 or 4 drives via penalties and maybe a turnover or two. Otherwise it would have been a more comfortable victory. I also want to say Syracuse was driving late for the tie/lead and IU ended up getting 2 or 3 sacks in a row to seal the deal. As far as individual stats, I have no idea.

Last edited:
IU was down the entire game and caught them at the end. It’s obviously subjective, but a tie in those days had value (Mal tied Mizzou one year). Given the comeback, on the road and against a team that had IU’s number for over a decade, I think most people understood what Corso was doing there. Unfortunately, the end was a disaster. And Dave Harangody was the tight end, not the kicker (Kevin Kellogg was the 1st team PK).

I think you’re correct that it was Lawrence Reid who threw the ball out of bounds (Corso caught it), enabling the last play to Anthony Carter. I knew Wilbur pretty well and he never lived that play down, though it was a perfect storm of missed tackles that made it happen. Somewhere, you can find the UM radio call with their legendary play by play guy, Bob Ufer, losing his mind as the play unfolded.

I think the killer that year for IU was the loss at home to Colorado? I was at the game, don’t remember a whole lot about it. I was a kid, but remember family (particularly Dad) upset that we lost it because we really shouldn’t have.

That game literally spoiled our chance to have a 9-win season after accounting for the bowl win.

I’m still waiting on IU to have that elusive 9-win year, because I’ve never personally seen in my lifetime. I wasn’t born before the Rose Bowl.

I think the killer that year for IU was the loss at home to Colorado? I was at the game, don’t remember a whole lot about it. I was a kid, but remember family (particularly Dad) upset that we lost it because we really shouldn’t have.

That game literally spoiled our chance to have a 9-win season after accounting for the bowl win.

I’m still waiting on IU to have that elusive 9-win year, because I’ve never personally seen in my lifetime. I wasn’t born before the Rose Bowl.
That team and the one that followed were Corso's best two squads, but they could've been much better had LC been willing to have a firmer hand with them. The atmosphere was unbelievably loose, even the night before games. Not a great way to build a program.

That team and the one that followed were Corso's best two squads, but they could've been much better had LC been willing to have a firmer hand with them. The atmosphere was unbelievably loose, even the night before games. Not a great way to build a program.
That team was 8-4, 5-3 in the conference, and concluded one of the most successful seasons in program history with IU's first-ever bowl win - - over an undefeated, Top 10 team. If that's what "loose" produces, I'll have some more, please.

That team was 8-4, 5-3 in the conference, and concluded one of the most successful seasons in program history with IU's first-ever bowl win - - over an undefeated, Top 10 team. If that's what "loose" produces, I'll have some more, please.
They had the talent to be much better. Here’s what I mean by loose . . . The team didn’t go away together the night before home games. They had a meal and a practice / walk through and then they were on their own. Not the way to build a program, which is why the following year, with an even better group, went 6-5. Corso was done after the ‘82 season.

They had the talent to be much better. Here’s what I mean by loose . . . The team didn’t go away together the night before home games. They had a meal and a practice / walk through and then they were on their own. Not the way to build a program, which is why the following year, with an even better group, went 6-5. Corso was done after the ‘82 season.
They were 4-7 in '78. Little was expected of them in '79 and they overachieved, going 8-4 and finishing No. 19 nationally.

Loosen up.

They were 4-7 in '78. Little was expected of them in '79 and they overachieved, going 8-4 and finishing No. 19 nationally.

Loosen up.
No, Corso knew he was building to a pretty good team in ‘79, as did people who followed the team, but he failed to get everything out them that he could’ve, and that was proven when they couldn’t get back to a bowl the following year. They underachieved, which is why Corso was fired in ‘82.

No, Corso knew he was building to a pretty good team in ‘79, as did people who followed the team, but he failed to get everything out them that he could’ve, and that was proven when they couldn’t get back to a bowl the following year. They underachieved, which is why Corso was fired in ‘82.
Your current persona seems more civil than previous versions, so I'll try this one last time.

I'm not talking about what happened in 1980, 1982 or Corso's overall body of work at IU. I'm talking about 1979. I remember the season and followed the team closely. IU was coming off a 4-7 season in 1978, and expectations for 1979 were modest at best. The 8-4 record, including the win over unbeaten and No. 9 BYU (a team that led the country in most offensive categories and was a heavy favorite against us in the Holiday Bowl) which resulted in a national ranking for IU, far exceeded virtually everyone's expectations for 1979. Corso overachieved that year.

P.S. I'll save you the trouble of saying it a third time - - Corso was fired in '82.

Your current persona seems more civil than previous versions, so I'll try this one last time.

I'm not talking about what happened in 1980, 1982 or Corso's overall body of work at IU. I'm talking about 1979. I remember the season and followed the team closely. IU was coming off a 4-7 season in 1978, and expectations for 1979 were modest at best. The 8-4 record, including the win over unbeaten and No. 9 BYU (a team that led the country in most offensive categories and was a heavy favorite against us in the Holiday Bowl) which resulted in a national ranking for IU, far exceeded virtually everyone's expectations for 1979. Corso overachieved that year.

P.S. I'll save you the trouble of saying it a third time - - Corso was fired in '82.
And I’ll repeat what I’ve already said . . . Corso knew the ‘79 team was going to be good / his best, yet it didn’t achieve what it could’ve (the home loss to CU, the last second disaster at UM, the poor play resulting in a season ending loss to Purdue). The fact is that BYU gave that game away as much as IU won it (they allowed a punt to bounce around and let up in coverage, permitting TW to pick it up and return it for a score, then their kicker shanked a gimme FG that would’ve still won it). Eight wins was a nice result, but LC knew it could’ve easily been 9, 10 or even 11. They struggled to do the little things well, and it cost them dearly. So, while you might’ve thought they overachieved, they didn’t and people who closely followed the program didn’t. And it was very likely due to Corso’s hand off, loose approach.

Eight wins was a nice result, but LC knew it could’ve easily been 9, 10 or even 11
IU let the Colorado game slip away that season, but the win over BYU was much more impactful than the Colorado loss. Further, any suggestion that that team should have won 10 or 11 is not based in reality. And what Corso "knew" or didn't know about the win total is pure conjecture on your part.

You're nothing if not predictable. Even when IU does well, they nonetheless fall short of the mark. Amazing.

IU let the Colorado game slip away that season, but the win over BYU was much more impactful than the Colorado loss. Further, any suggestion that that team should have won 10 or 11 is not based in reality. And what Corso "knew" or didn't know about the win total is pure conjecture on your part.

You're nothing if not predictable. Even when IU does well, they nonetheless fall short of the mark. Amazing.
It wasn’t pure conjecture in the slightest since it came from several players, including one that shared Corso’s last name. Reality seems to be an unwelcome intruder for you, at least in regard to IU football. And, of course the BYU win was great (I never claimed otherwise). But they left a couple of victories on the field, something those of us who saw them play know all too well. And that was due to LC’s loose approach, which was well known.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT