ADVERTISEMENT

What is everyone having for Christmas Dinner

Lucy01

Hall of Famer
Sep 16, 2014
We are having a standing rib roast, deviled eggs, mashed potatoes,sugar cream pie and we crate our own horse radish. The deviled egg recipe is my grandmothers, We use Miracle Whip instead of Mayonnaise.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
I'm preparing a turkey to bake off in the morning, as the wife and I are going out to my mom and dad's tomorrow. The siblings will be bringing the accoutrements. The sister who's "in charge" is not the greatest cook, which is why I volunteered to bring the main dish. Her recipes are legendary, with infamous classics like her Mashed Potato Soup. It's as awful as it sounds!

Its always a lively time, though. Looking forward to leading my 'Taboo' team to victory, and getting out of there before anyone gets drunk enough to start telling their 'truth' lol. We are blessed to have both parents still with us, their 50th Wedding Anniversary and increased Rebulican majorities in both houses of Congress among planned highlights for a Happy 2018. :cool: Merry Christmas, y'all!

I'm preparing a turkey to bake off in the morning, as the wife and I are going out to my mom and dad's tomorrow. The siblings will be bringing the accoutrements. The sister who's "in charge" is not the greatest cook, which is why I volunteered to bring the main dish. Her recipes are legendary, with infamous classics like her Mashed Potato Soup. It's as awful as it sounds!

Its always a lively time, though. Looking forward to leading my 'Taboo' team to victory, and getting out of there before anyone gets drunk enough to start telling their 'truth' lol. We are blessed to have both parents still with us, their 50th Wedding Anniversary and increased Rebulican majorities in both houses of Congress among planned highlights for a Happy 2018. :cool: Merry Christmas, y'all!
Mashed Potato Soup? Is that just mashed potatoes that she put too much milk in? :D

Merry Xmas.

We are having a standing rib roast, deviled eggs, mashed potatoes,sugar cream pie and we crate our own horse radish. The deviled egg recipe is my grandmothers, We use Miracle Whip instead of Mayonnaise.
Since we live in Pennsylvania and haven't been major grocery shopping yet, I am thinking that we brought some ham and a whole chicken. So we will have those plus mashed potatoes and noodles. My wife would like those deviled eggs. It is one of her favorite things to eat.

Mashed Potato Soup? Is that just mashed potatoes that she put too much milk in? :D

Merry Xmas.
Yes, but she tried to turn a mistake into an invention. She was a teenager, but her cooking hasn't improved much, which is why she hasn't been able to live it down. Family--gotta love em!

Our daughter insists we do Thanksgiving stuff all over again for Christmas, with an occasional minor change, so that's what we do every year. We'll have turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn pudding, sweet potatoes, deviled eggs and the change for this year is roasted Brussel sprouts instead of fresh green beans. Also some pie and ice cream for dessert. I do the cooking except for the sweet potatoes, which my wife and daughter like to do. My daughter helps me a little more with the other stuff every year. She's become a pretty good cook over the years. My wife can cook a few things pretty well (she can follow a recipe) but generally doesn't cook. ;)

Yes, but she tried to turn a mistake into an invention. She was a teenager, but her cooking hasn't improved much, which is why she hasn't been able to live it down. Family--gotta love em!
Just call it Cream of Potato and she's got something going . . .

Gonna cook a beef tenderloin in a Dutch oven on a Kamado grill . . . and it's gonna be the first time we're trying it, so we'll have lots of side dishes in case I blow it. Sides: mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole (with marshmellows on top), green been casserole (with fried onions on top), sliced brussel sprouts sauteed in garlic and green onions . . . plus a Waldorf salad . . . and King's Hawaiian rolls.

2 Beef tenderloin, one stuffed with chopped 'shrooms and garlic, one not. Both rubbed with CO.H secret spices. Stewed 'shrooms in red wine and garlic reduction, green beans cooked with bacon and Bob Evans mashers + whatever salad my stoker makes.

Last edited:
Gonna cook a beef tenderloin in a Dutch oven on a Kamado grill . . . and it's gonna be the first time we're trying it, so we'll have lots of side dishes in case I blow it. Sides: mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole (with marshmellows on top), green been casserole (with fried onions on top), sliced brussel sprouts sauteed in garlic and green onions . . . plus a Waldorf salad . . . and King's Hawaiian rolls.

I've never used a Kamado grill, but wouldn't the dutch oven defeat the open charcol flavor?

Add some shredded pepper jack and cheddar, some dark amber ale, some half and half and garnish with crispy chopped bacon and sour cream before serving and you might have something.

Thank you to the Water Cooler for your responses it’s always fun to here what everyone is going to have for Christmas dinner:) I know everyone doesn’t like me here but I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and this thread was really meant to steal Goats deviled egg recipe :p

Thank you to the Water Cooler for your responses it’s always fun to here what everyone is going to have for Christmas dinner:) I know everyone doesn’t like me here but I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and this thread was really meant to steal Goats deviled egg recipe :p
You don't want mine. At our family gatherings, my sister makes the deviled eggs. We both try to outdo each other on a lot of things, but on some things we accept the other's superiority. I make the pasta salad, she makes the deviled eggs. I'll try to get her recipe for you.

Reactions: Lucy01
You don't want mine. At our family gatherings, my sister makes the deviled eggs. We both try to outdo each other on a lot of things, but on some things we accept the other's superiority. I make the pasta salad, she makes the deviled eggs. I'll try to get her recipe for you.
Merry Christmas Goat to you and your family and have a happy New Year and I will try to stay off the board till after New Years :rolleyes:

I've never used a Kamado grill, but wouldn't the dutch oven defeat the open charcol flavor?

I think the difference is that you don't use the lid with the Dutch oven. That allows you to get the smoke flavoring from the charcoal. I'm not sure how it works, but the shape of the Kamado grill somehow keeps the meat from drying out even though it's the Dutch oven isn't covered.

I'll be ordering Thai food... Our household tradition

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Our family will all be leaving Christmas morning to see the other side of their respective families so our big meal is the Uptown brunch tomorrow with church services at a couple different church services and a pagent the rest of the day.

Beef tenderloin, ham, twice-baked potatoes, green beans, stuffed mushrooms, homemade bread (by yours truly), buffalo chicken dip (incredible stuff), deviled eggs, various other dips and baked goods, beer, wine, and beef jerky (making that tomorrow--so it's sort of part of Christmas).

2 Beef tenderloin, one stuffed with chopped 'shrooms and garlic, one not. Both rubbed with CO.H secret spices. Stewed 'shrooms in red wine and garlic reduction, green beans cooked with bacon and Bob Evans mashers + whatever salad my stoker makes.
not gonna share your secret rub? C'mon....'tis the season for giving

Finely ground coffee, six pepper blend, paprika, salt, rosemary, and sugar. Rub a day before cooking.

So obviously you trim the tenderloins at least a day in advance . . . do you do that yourself or do you have the butcher to it for you?

If you do it yourself, what do you do with the chain?

I buy them trimmed.
Well, this is a 22 person sit down for dinner tonight and 16 tomorrow morning after Santa, so its a BIG pitch in. We make 2 hams, lots of sides and the cousins bring all kinds of stuff - including two slightly different sets of deviled eggs - 1 by a relative and one by my 11 year old grandaughter. They compete.

Its my wife's side of the family and this tradition has now run about 85 years unbroken except for one horrible weather out about 30 years ago. We've had it at our house for 25 years. The next generation before us took turn about before that and their parents had it back into the 1930s.

We are having our neighbors over at 4pm for ham, corn pudding, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and a red velvet cake that could make my wife a very rich woman, it's that good. Football will be on the tube.

Merry Christmas!

We are having our neighbors over at 4pm for ham, corn pudding, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and a red velvet cake that could make my wife a very rich woman, it's that good. Football will be on the tube.
Someone has his priorities straight.

Reactions: td75
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT