ADVERTISEMENT

What a win!

Malik is a much better offensive player and I think he will eventually get the minutes in crunch time. With that said Race is still going to get plenty of minutes, especially against teams that have a stretch 4 or are good at pick and rolls. Race is a better defender.
I’m just saying he’s not taking many minutes. Of course there will be nights he takes some but others he won’t. Good problem to have though.

I like Bates potential a bunch. Seems to me he has CBB talent and physical body to match but his downside is he hasn't yet mentally shifted gears to keep up with his physical positives for the college game. He, Woodson and the coaching staff have to figure it up. Down the road he, Banks and Gunn should be lethal.

Reactions: kmathum
Had to watch this delayed due to other obligations. Go on the road, with some freshmen playing big minutes and not shooting out best from long range. Hostile and packed environment and pull out a W. Plenty of improvements to be made, but great to learn about what we need to improve and still get the W against a good team in their house.

TJD is a beast. X with some great plays and boneheaded plays. These refs were ****ing trash and stopped at least 3 IU runs with their horseshit calls. Missed some big FT and still enough to pull it out. Love it!

And love the silence from the typical Debbie downers
It's funny how Freemantle did all types of shit after made plays and "did nothing wrong". Without the horseshit T's, Indiana could have won 7-10 pts. Oh well, I'll definately take what we got.

Reactions: rocketo
Maybe good in a game we managed to win. They were sketchy but if you don't give the ref the opportunity to make a call it can't happen. X was lucky he didnt get called at the end of the game. Not sure how or if that can even happen but he does that in game time and it is going to get called.
They Canó make a call after the horn sounds.

CMW needs to have another sit down with him if they expect the freshmen to respect his leadership. X clearly wants to be a leader but he first needs to act like one

Good player that they need but he can’t go and get tossed from a key game

The call on Malik was BS particularly when they allow a player to literally aim his shoulder and fire it into a defender’s face. Can you imagine what Edey will do if they start allowing that shit?

They Canó make a call after the horn sounds.

CMW needs to have another sit down with him if they expect the freshmen to respect his leadership. X clearly wants to be a leader but he first needs to act like one

Good player that they need but he can’t go and get tossed from a key game

The call on Malik was BS particularly when they allow a player to literally aim his shoulder and fire it into a defender’s face. Can you imagine what Edey will do if they start allowing that shit?
it’ll be Edey’s hip instead of his shoulder

Absolutely is. Not even close IMO
I think his extra length makes us better on D too. I guess it doesn't matter who starts, but who gets the minutes, and I don't think CMW wants to adjust the starting lineup but Malik is going to keep earning minutes with nights like tonight. Race looks lost on offense to me. I thought he had a few opportunities to power to the basket for a shot or foul, but he waits too long.

Just remember without X we get beat by double digits.
absolutely. Obviously TJD was a monster, but X was huge and played the game we need from him for the most part, minus the extra crap. I just think it's his nature and while I hope/think CMW can get him to rein it in, I think he's always going to have bonehead moments and he just needs to offset them with his play, which he did tonight.

absolutely. Obviously TJD was a monster, but X was huge and played the game we need from him for the most part, minus the extra crap. I just think it's his nature and while I hope/think CMW can get him to rein it in, I think he's always going to have bonehead moments and he just needs to offset them with his play, which he did tonight.
Miss me with the extra crap, that is basketball, basketball is emotion. If they make those T calls night in and night out they will ruin the game.

Again no chance that happens at AH, the refs would not make it out alive.

Yeah. I about lost my ****ing mind. And then their whore transfer from Iowa (nance?) talks shit and not a peep from these MF refs! I could have but punched them!
I didn’t see Nunge do anything out of line. He played at Castle HS in Indiana and has a good reputation.

Reactions: kkott
Maybe good in a game we managed to win. They were sketchy but if you don't give the ref the opportunity to make a call it can't happen. X was lucky he didnt get called at the end of the game. Not sure how or if that can even happen but he does that in game time and it is going to get called.
I believe the announcers said both players were at fault for the "skirmish" at the buzzer. The Xavier player slapped the ball in X's hands and X took offense. I held my breath for a nano-second thinking they were going to call a tech on X if there was a nano-second left. It was pretty close to still being game time.

I thought for sure Xavier was going to make that last basket to win the game. It was an uphill battle for IU the whole way. The game wore me out. It would have been a devastating loss of major downer proportions to lose that one after getting control late in the game like we did with X's steal and Kopp's "3" that dropped. I love IU basketball.

I think his extra length makes us better on D too. I guess it doesn't matter who starts, but who gets the minutes, and I don't think CMW wants to adjust the starting lineup but Malik is going to keep earning minutes with nights like tonight. Race looks lost on offense to me. I thought he had a few opportunities to power to the basket for a shot or foul, but he waits too long.
I think you are right. Seems like his confidence is shaken. Maybe MR coming in as a true freshman and doing so well has done this? Strange to me, but it is very early in the season, so I just can’t see Race choking with all of his experience

It's funny how Freemantle did all types of shit after made plays and "did nothing wrong". Without the horseshit T's, Indiana could have won 7-10 pts. Oh well, I'll definately take what we got.
Yep. He got away with all kinds of stares and shouting. Guess the ref needed to make his mortgage payment…

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Miss me with the extra crap, that is basketball, basketball is emotion. If they make those T calls night in and night out they will ruin the game.

Again no chance that happens at AH, the refs would not make it out alive.
well, you can make excuses and he can throw up his arms after calls (and stew about it for minutes after), but the bottom line is, he has a reputation now and refs are going to watch him harder. He can either ignore it, or recognize he's going to be held to a tougher standard and see that the real FU is making the shot or play and run back down the court knowing you got 'em! CMW said as much after the game. It's not random and it's not going to stop.

And, I agree it ain't happening in AH. How many tournament games will we get there?

well, you can make excuses and he can throw up his arms after calls (and stew about it for minutes after), but the bottom line is, he has a reputation now and refs are going to watch him harder. He can either ignore it, or recognize he's going to be held to a tougher standard and see that the real FU is making the shot or play and run back down the court knowing you got 'em! CMW said as much after the game. It's not random and it's not going to stop.

And, I agree it ain't happening in AH. How many tournament games will we get there?
That doesn’t happen in a tourney game either. No chance. Was one of, if not the worst T, I’ve ever seen. He didn’t say a word. He did a quick turn and look at the bench.

I don’t see it. He’s going to play plenty backing up the 4/5. He’s important in the role he’s in. Imho.
JG just needs to focus on doing the simple play. The between the legs at half court was very telling of his experience and his discipline
Both can change with time

Bates in this game and another this year already seemed very unsure of himself. He’s yet to establish himself on offense and defense.
He’s going to get recruited over if he doesn’t start (next game) making more of an impact and establish himself as a scorer and lock down defender.

According to his peers and coaches Bates was primed for a breakout season. So far he’s not delivering and it’s not looking good imo.

Btw I like honey mustard with my crow. I’ll happily eat it if when I’m wrong

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
when they allow a player to literally aim his shoulder and fire it into a defender’s face
That was bullshit. I couldn’t believe the refs reviewed that and did nothing. The X man actually lunged into the IU guy’s head. Total bitch move.

I actually watched a good bit of this game. To me, IU doesn’t look much different than last year’s version, with one big exception. Thompson has to sit. He’s an anchor.

Reactions: ericrossiu
That was bullshit. I couldn’t believe the refs reviewed that and did nothing. The X man actually lunged into the IU guy’s head. Total bitch move.

I actually watched a good bit of this game. To me, IU doesn’t look much different than last year’s version, with one big exception. Thompson has to sit. He’s an anchor.
RT is far from an anchor IMO he can rebound and defend Biggs reasonably well. His minutes will likely diminish some as/if MR develops.

The team has some of the same shortcomings as last year but the difference is depth with the two solid freshmen.

Coaches are going to strategize getting in X’s head because he is a loss they cannot afford.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Talking shit outwardly is not a part of the game. Talking shit is. But that is on X and Malik. Technicals were warranted by letter of the law and with the emphasis on it, you have to be smarter.
I agree, the officials are letting the teams know how games are to be called this season. Very good win on the road against a talented team. Take these lessons to hart, or a repeat will cost us in the Big10.

Just remember without X we get beat by double digits.
True enough. And if X doesn’t make several boneheaded plays to offset some of his great play, we win by 10-15.

I didn’t like the T on X either but to act like X is just playing with emotions is disingenuous imo. Many (most) players play with emotion without allowing it to offset their play. X too frequently allows his emotions to rule him to his and IUs detriment. X has a well deserved reputation and will be called tighter than most all year.

That being said I agree with you. If we want to be a top 10 team and make a deep run we need X because he is a difference maker. But to make a deep run we also need X to string together 5-6 games without imploding. At this point I don’t know if he is capable of sustained great play without the dumb play.

I agree, the officials are letting the teams know how games are to be called this season. Very good win on the road against a talented team. Take these lessons to hart, or a repeat will cost us in the Big10.
They’ll call that tight for a few weeks just like they’re always going to allow freedom of movement the beginning of every season. In February they’ll be mauling and taunting with impunity

They’ll call that tight for a few weeks just like they’re always going to allow freedom of movement the beginning of every season. In February they’ll be mauling and taunting with impunity
Never liked players taunting after a good play, it diminishes the play and the players perceived game IQ. Braggarts boast loudly, gentlemen take care of you quietly. IU needs to put them away quietly.

True enough. And if X doesn’t make several boneheaded plays to offset some of his great play, we win by 10-15.

I didn’t like the T on X either but to act like X is just playing with emotions is disingenuous imo. Many (most) players play with emotion without allowing it to offset their play. X too frequently allows his emotions to rule him to his and IUs detriment. X has a well deserved reputation and will be called tighter than most all year.

That being said I agree with you. If we want to be a top 10 team and make a deep run we need X because he is a difference maker. But to make a deep run we also need X to string together 5-6 games without imploding. At this point I don’t know if he is capable of sustained great play without the dumb play.
Players jaw at each other all the time. Other than the questionable T, he was under control last night. Granted he celebrated at the end, but even that wasn't over the top.

Players jaw at each other all the time. Other than the questionable T, he was under control last night. Granted he celebrated at the end, but even that wasn't over the top.
He had a solid game but it’s not just emotions with him. The lazy pass leading to a fast break layup that he also fouled on when we could have gone up 8 I believe is not a play you expect a senior all conference pg to make. He does stuff like that too often for me to have much confidence in our ability to make a deep run.

And yes lots of jawing but when you have the reputation that X has, he must be mindful of that. He won’t be, but he should.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT