ADVERTISEMENT

We've held serve at 4-2. The schedule remains favorable.

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
Maryland has a bad D, and severely one dimensional without Josh Jackson.

Northwestern's offense is limited, but have a very stout defense.

Nebraska is flawed defensively.

Michigan looked beatable vs Illinois.

Purdue might be playing a for a bowl (assuming they beat IL, NW, Neb), so they will be up and motivated for the game. But I still think this is a W with a healthy Penix.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Purdue might be playing a for a bowl (assuming they beat IL, NW, Neb), so they will be up and motivated for the game. But I still think this is a W with a healthy Penix.
The ease of the schedule makes a bowl game for IU easier than ever. The team is largely untested since they’ve only played one really strong team, but a bowl should be well within their reach with the way the Big Ten is and the schedule they have.

Reactions: vesuvius13
IU is sitting in good position right now heading into the MD game.
4-2 could become 5-2 with a beatable MD team up next. IU needs more players that standout as the season goes along as the next three games are very winnable.

Reactions: grammy2 and IUCX9
IU is gonna have to play at its highest level on a consistent basis for the next 3 weeks to win these next 3 games. If that happens, then IU ought to have a decent chance at coming out with 2, maybe 3, wins even though we're on the road for 2 of them.

What really heartened me against Rutgers was that Charlie O'Conner came in and played well at center despite his not having had a significant role previously. We've been told that the depth is much better now than it has been, and O'Conner's play - and the fact that we have what looks like 4 deep of quality RBs and a bunch of options in the defensive backfield - make me feel like that's not only true, but it's potentially better than we've realized.

That said, I fear that after Hendershot our TEs might drop off significantly and my sense is that DeBoer's offense might be able to utilize TEs more effectively than our current talent might allow. That's not necessarily a defect . . . it's more like an opportunity . . . .

I just want to beat Maryland. I’ve been an IU fan for a long time like many here. I’m not counting chickens yet. Penix health is my biggest concern. Go Hoosiers!

I'm watching the MD vs p u dvr recording right now and Maryland scares the heck out of me when they have the ball. They look capable of laying 70 on someone if their O is clicking... They have a lot of weapons and a Lot of speed...

They appear to be mentally fragile however so it'll be important to jump on them hard early... I wouldn't want to get into a shootout with them if they're feeling comfortable...

In regard to the original post topic: I don't see any "easy" games left on our schedule... I see several that we have a 50/50 shot at winning but if we're not at the top of our game from here on out we'll struggle...

Maryland, at their place, will be a BIG one...

Last edited:
We just really don’t know what we have right now.

We’ve played 1 of the best teams, a decent team, and 4 of the worst teams in the country. And the results were exactly what you’d expect.

We need to play a couple even opponents to know where we are. All games from now on are winnable besides Penn St.

Maryland has a dangerous team but in my opinion is poorly coached. Purdues defense has looked bad all year and they only scored 14 points. With the talent they have that's unacceptable against that defense.

Reactions: grammy2
Maryland has a dangerous team but in my opinion is poorly coached. Purdues defense has looked bad all year and they only scored 14 points. With the talent they have that's unacceptable against that defense.

Let's just hope their QB continues to be erratic... With our luck he'll find his grove... Against p u he was off on about half his throws...

According to the ESPN updated match up indicator IU has the following win percentages
Maryland 50.3
Nebraska 49.1
NW 68.3
PSU 8.1
Michigan 28.5
PU 56.7

The Hoosiers need to win 2 of 4 toss up games. Unfortunately IU only has 2 home games left.

Reactions: Rakkasan29 and 76-1
According to the ESPN updated match up indicator IU has the following win percentages
Maryland 50.3
Nebraska 49.1
NW 68.3
PSU 8.1
Michigan 28.5
PU 56.7

The Hoosiers need to win 2 of 4 toss up games. Unfortunately IU only has 2 home games left.
If we are indeed a program that is continuing to get better, we have two big steps to take. We must show that we can beat teams of equivalent talent on the road, and that we can upset someone at home who is better than us on paper.

Our remaining games offer the opportunity to do that each week - with PSU being the notable exception. If we are a better program than we have been, we should beat both Maryland and Purdue and have a legitimate shot at Nebraska.

We have to be able to knock off a team like Northwestern at home and/or finally get that elusive upset over Michigan that has been so tantalizingly close to happening the past 5 years.

We seem to have arrived at the point where we are not really likely to lose a game against lesser talent. Now we have to win some of those 50/50 matchups. Starting this week we have a chance to climb the next rung.

I’ve said it all year and I’ll say it again.
I think we beat Michigan this year at home.
No reason at all why we shouldn’t go at least 4-2 in the second half of the season.
8-4 would give us a really nice bowl game against a good opponent.

We seem to have arrived at the point where we are not really likely to lose a game against lesser talent. Now we have to win some of those 50/50 matchups. Starting this week we have a chance to climb the next rung.
That's always been a problem for us, blowing a game we should by all rights have won. If we'd just avoided those kinds of losses, the program would be in much better shape. If we can get that monkey off our back, then the next step is to win one we're not supposed to.

I watched the Maryland-Purdue game last night. Of course I watched the IU game live! Haha! I think we need to get an early lead on Maryland and they might quit. I think their QB is not accurate and I think they will not fight back if they get behind. They came out all excited against PSU and then Got whipped 50 something to zip. Purdue got up on them yesterday and that game was over after the pick 6 before halftime. They came out after halftime and looked like they were more interested in what’s for supper than playing the second half. If IU gets ahead and makes Maryland pass then their Qb isn’t very good and we can win. On the other side if we get behind and they can run the ball then it might be a little harder for the Hoosiers.

This is the analogy I've been using to describe this season to friends and family. We're holding serve. Beating the teams we're supposed to beat AND...if we can keep doing it...we go bowling. If we can break serve...we have an extraordinary year with a really young team. Exciting.

Reactions: 76-1 and td75
The ease of the schedule makes a bowl game for IU easier than ever. The team is largely untested since they’ve only played one really strong team, but a bowl should be well within their reach with the way the Big Ten is and the schedule they have.

Assemble excuses in case IU makes a bowl

Check

I watched the Maryland-Purdue game last night. Of course I watched the IU game live! Haha! I think we need to get an early lead on Maryland and they might quit. I think their QB is not accurate and I think they will not fight back if they get behind. They came out all excited against PSU and then Got whipped 50 something to zip. Purdue got up on them yesterday and that game was over after the pick 6 before halftime. They came out after halftime and looked like they were more interested in what’s for supper than playing the second half. If IU gets ahead and makes Maryland pass then their Qb isn’t very good and we can win. On the other side if we get behind and they can run the ball then it might be a little harder for the Hoosiers.

As much as I think IU is a better team than MD, playing them right after that embarrassing loss is not ideal.

I just checked the Sagarin Ratings and we are slightly ahead of Maryland and Nebraska. Both games being on the road makes each one evenly ranked.

Maryland is huge. If we win then they will gain confidence and move forward, a loss likely eliminates a bowl because we need a game against a decent team to settle in for the home stretch. You beat Maryland and they will play looser in the remaining games and could steal a couple.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
As much as I think IU is a better team than MD, playing them right after that embarrassing loss is not ideal.
Maybe maybe not. I don’t know there team that well but I have watched them play PSU and Purdue and both times I saw a team that is mentally soft. They seem like a group of real excitable guys right up u til the first thing goes wrong and then it is quits-ville. If they were going to have pride I would have expected it yesterday coming off a blowout loss at home and playing a wounded team plus having an extra day to prepare. PSU is good but if you were not embarrassed losing 59-0 at home after they shut down the school that day for the game then I do not think losing a game on the road to a team on the ropes is going to suddenly inspire them. We will see.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT