ADVERTISEMENT

We will miss K Wilson big time

i realize that. (why i mentioned OSU in my post).

but i'm talking a head coach gig, not OC.

seems like if this was just a difference of management style between FW and FG, that Wilson should be offered some major head coach jobs.

if he isn't, then should we not assume there's some reason why not?
I feel strongly that there was/is a compelling behavioral issue which was not remedied. There was 'some reason'. I can't see FG risk blowing up the obvious improvement in the fb program without a very good reason.
I would be very interested in learning who recruited CTA to IU? Might explain some things.

Good comments and poorly phrased by me. Allen was of course fully vetted. I meant to imply that a search for experienced, winning HCs might have produced a few surprises. An older HC looking for a 2-4 year stint before retiring would have given Allen time to make long term changes to the defense and groomed him to take over when the time came. That may have just been a pipedream of mine, but now we'll never know.

I back Allen 100%. He is our coach. I just dont like that old sick feeling we've been here before.

Beating osu would cure that quickly I expect...vbg...but just holding what we got next year will do nicely too...vbg.
Allen was likely to get some big time DC offers this offseason. We most likely weren't going to keep him at that position.

Reactions: IUcolorado
Allen was likely to get some big time DC offers this offseason. We most likely weren't going to keep him at that position.
This. ^^^^^^ Allen was not going to be here next year until he was offered the HC position. He was headed back to Ole Miss to be the DC for his friend Hugh Freeze (sp?) I'm not sure why there are some on this board who don't get this. We were not going to have a coaching staff next season that included both Tom Allen and Kevin Wilson under any circumstance.

nothing against Allen. He is no Wilson name wise and strategy. Wilson had turned IU into a
Up and coming power.

IU will be back to Bill Lynch era .
LOL! Did Wilson hire you to write this?

Wilson did a lot of things for IU, there's no question, and Allen may fall flat on his face, but he's given himself every chance to succeed with his hires and the improved and up and coming defense. The Offense has been a train wreck more often than not under Wilson, who was known as an offensive guru. So we shall see if these new hires can right the ship a bit.

LOL! Did Wilson hire you to write this?

Wilson did a lot of things for IU, there's no question, and Allen may fall flat on his face, but he's given himself every chance to succeed with his hires and the improved and up and coming defense. The Offense has been a train wreck more often than not under Wilson, who was known as an offensive guru. So we shall see if these new hires can right the ship a bit.
The offense "was a train wreck more often than not under Wilson"? That's incredibly ignorant by any measure.

Reactions: fpeaugh
I thought Wilson was doing a good job. The fact that he did not fight harder on a buyout is what leads me to believe that there were things going on that we will probably never really hear about...despite what the lawyers may have turned up.

I don't think you walk away from the money unless you have good reason to.

The offense "was a train wreck more often than not under Wilson"? That's incredibly ignorant by any measure.

Though it was really only really only firing on all cylinders in 2 seasons (2013 and 2015), and in those seasons, losing a single player for a given game was able to create a train wreck on offense (Coleman against Wisc/OSU in 2013, Sudfeld against PSU in 2015)

I thought Wilson was doing a good job. The fact that he did not fight harder on a buyout is what leads me to believe that there were things going on that we will probably never really hear about...despite what the lawyers may have turned up.

I don't think you walk away from the money unless you have good reason to.
I think there's been friction between Wilson and Glass from the start and, after two investigations looking for wrongdoing, KW and his lawyer probably realized that, at some point, Dean Wormer and double secret probation were going to prevail and get the Delta house kicked off campus. Absent a toga party, why hang around for that if they'll pay you to leave?

Knowing that, getting $550k free and clear, and knowing he could move forward without baggage, I'm sure Wilson realized it made sense to run away as quickly as he could to possibly greener pastures. Why keep fighting a battle you'll never win?

If the OSU rumors are true, he looks very smart.

Though it was really only really only firing on all cylinders in 2 seasons (2013 and 2015), and in those seasons, losing a single player for a given game was able to create a train wreck on offense (Coleman against Wisc/OSU in 2013, Sudfeld against PSU in 2015)
But even down a cylinder or two, it was still very, very good. Never, ever was it a "train wreck".

Yes, I'm that guy. And you're the guy that is as naive as Glass. If he was happy, he would have stayed. All the rest is simply flapping of the mouth. Now we are talking about football, but the politics game is the same.
You can't be serious because no one can be serious and this illogical at the same time. Indiana is not the epicenter of the college baseball (or football) universe. Indiana is never going to compete regularly for national titles in either sport, especially baseball. The best players want to go where the weather is amenable to playing baseball year-round. Most coaches want to go where they have the chance to coach the best players and compete at the highest level. If you bothered to read at all you would know that Smith said he was perfectly happy at Indiana and money was not the issue. He turned down more money at OSU and probably other places to stay at Indiana. Money and being happy weren't factors in his leaving IU.

Brad Stevens was perfectly happy at Butler. Then the chance to coach the Boston Celtics came along. No amount of money Barry Collier might have offered him to stay was going to make him pass up that opportunity.

It's fine if you don't like Fred Glass. You are entitled to that opinion. But fabricating an absurd argument to lay blame on Glass destroys any credibility you might wish to have with other posters/readers on this board. Especially when it flies in the face of documented information straight from the horse's mouth.

You can't be serious because no one can be serious and this illogical at the same time. Indiana is not the epicenter of the college baseball (or football) universe. Indiana is never going to compete regularly for national titles in either sport, especially baseball. The best players want to go where the weather is amenable to playing baseball year-round. Most coaches want to go where they have the chance to coach the best players and compete at the highest level. If you bothered to read at all you would know that Smith said he was perfectly happy at Indiana and money was not the issue. He turned down more money at OSU and probably other places to stay at Indiana. Money and being happy weren't factors in his leaving IU.

Brad Stevens was perfectly happy at Butler. Then the chance to coach the Boston Celtics came along. No amount of money Barry Collier might have offered him to stay was going to make him pass up that opportunity.

It's fine if you don't like Fred Glass. You are entitled to that opinion. But fabricating an absurd argument to lay blame on Glass destroys any credibility you might wish to have with other posters/readers on this board. Especially when it flies in the face of documented information straight from the horse's mouth.
I'm illogical yet you are comparing a move from Indiana to ASU with a move from Butler to the Celtics. It sounds like you and Glass drink beer together. "Indiana is never going to compete regularly for national titles in either sport." You guys would fit in much better in West Lafayette.

Last edited:
I'm illogical yet you are comparing a move from Indiana to ASU with a move from Butler to the Celtics. It sounds like you and Glass drink beer together. "Indiana is never going to compete regularly for national titles in either sport." You guys would fit in much better in West Lafayette.
The Big Ten is a mid major baseball conference. ASU is one of the most prestigious jobs in college baseball, in a warm weather environment. He turned down more money and more facilities upgrades. I don't know why you can't seem to accept that IU's baseball job, even with investment and improvement, faces certain realities. Big Ten baseball is not a premier thing. Smith actually turned down Ohio State and an SEC job to stay here because he loved it here, but getting offered the ASU job is like getting a call from Duke basketball.

The Big Ten is a mid major baseball conference. ASU is one of the most prestigious jobs in college baseball, in a warm weather environment. He turned down more money and more facilities upgrades. I don't know why you can't seem to accept that IU's baseball job, even with investment and improvement, faces certain realities. Big Ten baseball is not a premier thing. Smith actually turned down Ohio State and an SEC job to stay here because he loved it here, but getting offered the ASU job is like getting a call from Duke basketball.
If you maintain that Duke basketball is a better job than Indiana basketball than you too would look better in black and gold.

Last edited:
There were some personal issues hat made the change easier...I'm not saying that he wouldn't have gone anyway but inside the AD hasn't been a all ships sailing in the same direction kinda situation.

I know you don't want to hear it but the hoops off court troubles and insane budget requirements have helped caused a fracture within the Dept

I agree with a lot in this post. I believe that CTA was vetted prior to his hiring as DC...so calling it 'unvetted' may be not the right term. I will always wonder if the issue underlying CKW's replacement were known by IU Admin before his hire, or became an issue this past few years. AD's job security depends on many different metrics...can't follow how getting rid of a potential major problem is a negative.
I've heard it said that Wilson was like a ticking time bomb. 'Something' was going to come down at some point.

Wilson is a good coach with some behavioral issues and a micro-manager.

Sound familiar?

I think we dodged a bullet.

There were some personal issues hat made the change easier...I'm not saying that he wouldn't have gone anyway but inside the AD hasn't been a all ships sailing in the same direction kinda situation.

I know you don't want to hear it but the hoops off court troubles and insane budget requirements have helped caused a fracture within the Dept
Can you share information about the budget requirements you mention?

Lynch also coached a team that gave up 80+ points to Wisconsin, all of his recruiting classes were rated last in the big ten his only bowl team did win 7 games but 3 were against MAC schools and 1 was Indiana State. There were numerous games where IU was not competitive in Wilson's last 2 years no one totally out classed IU.
Again... I'm not comparing Lynch to Wilson. I'm just pointing out how unfair it is that some here refer to the Lynch years as some kind of low water mark in IU FB.

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
I think there's been friction between Wilson and Glass from the start and, after two investigations looking for wrongdoing, KW and his lawyer probably realized that, at some point, Dean Wormer and double secret probation were going to prevail and get the Delta house kicked off campus. Absent a toga party, why hang around for that if they'll pay you to leave?

Knowing that, getting $550k free and clear, and knowing he could move forward without baggage, I'm sure Wilson realized it made sense to run away as quickly as he could to possibly greener pastures. Why keep fighting a battle you'll never win?

If the OSU rumors are true, he looks very smart.
Likely a part of the scenario. If one looks at the 'compliance' document posted here (or TOS), CKW could have been ready for a change. tOSU seems to do things a bit differently.

I'm curious about this, too. Two separate investigations by a law firm that yielded no wrongdoing on Wilson's part, yet he's fired anyway. It's enough to make any fan question Glass's motives and commitment to the football program as well as his stewardship of the athletic department. Plenty of coach firings and little information beyond "trust me" to explain what's going on. Not sure why anyone is confident in his leadership.

As for Allen, his son was already headed to Bloomington as an early enrollee. Why wouldn't IU have been able to retain him as DC?

The rumor mill had Allen as a candidate for DC at Ole Miss and Oregon. He was going to get snatched up by someone good. He was almost hired by Auburn the year before. He was not staying for his son. Glass made the move to retain Allen who he felt was a better fit for the program going forward. Whether its a good or disastrous move is to be determined, but people who think Wilson was let go for player stuff are blind. Glass made a move and used that info as leverage.

The rumor mill had Allen as a candidate for DC at Ole Miss and Oregon. He was going to get snatched up by someone good. He was almost hired by Auburn the year before. He was not staying for his son. Glass made the move to retain Allen who he felt was a better fit for the program going forward. Whether its a good or disastrous move is to be determined, but people who think Wilson was let go for player stuff are blind. Glass made a move and used that info as leverage.
This is an excellent summary. Strategically, it all looks good on paper, but his job is rooted in relationships. It's only a matter of time before his political games come back to bite him.

This is an excellent summary. Strategically, it all looks good on paper, but his job is rooted in relationships. It's only a matter of time before his political games come back to bite him.
Wilson's job, too, was rooted in relationships and I'm guessing he didn't score a "5" on that portion of his performance evaluation. Let's face it, things got off on the wrong foot when he got lost in McNutt and cursed out an RA and it's not clear, from a "relationship" standpoint, whether things improved significantly after that.

Kravitz recently reported on an exchange he had with Gerry DiNardo, just prior to Wilson's first-ever Big Ten Media Days in Chicago. According to Kravitz, DiNardo commented: "Wait until you meet Kevin. He makes me look like I went to charm school."

I wouldn't waste too much time contemplating "political games" or conspiracy theories if I were you. I think it's basically just a guy who pissed off his boss one time too many.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and turney333
Wilson's job, too, was rooted in relationships and I'm guessing he didn't score a "5" on that portion of his performance evaluation. Let's face it, things got off on the wrong foot when he got lost in McNutt and cursed out an RA and it's not clear, from a "relationship" standpoint, whether things improved significantly after that.

Kravitz recently reported on an exchange he had with Gerry DiNardo, just prior to Wilson's first-ever Big Ten Media Days in Chicago. According to Kravitz, DiNardo commented: "Wait until you meet Kevin. He makes me look like I went to charm school."

I wouldn't too waste much time contemplating "political games" or conspiracy theories if I were you. I think it's basically just a guy who pissed off his boss one time too many.
I keep coming back to that radio interview...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT