ADVERTISEMENT

We need a play making guard again

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
I don’t think it’s a coincidence the last time we were good and relevant, was Yogis senior year.

There are times in games when you need a ball handler that you can clear out for, ISO for, run a pick and roll for, and feel comfortable they’ll generate something positive.

OSU had Branham tonight. We didn’t. Wisconsin had Davis, we didn’t. Syracuse had Boeheim, we didn’t. In the past few years Wisky had Trice. Purdue had Edwards.

So…no matter what happens, this year will be forgettable. Even if we win our next 3 somehow.

So let’s hope JHS is that guy. Or Gabe Cupps maybe the year after. Because we can’t become relevant again if we don’t find guards like that.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence the last time we were good and relevant, was Yogis senior year.

There are times in games when you need a ball handler that you can clear out for, ISO for, run a pick and roll for, and feel comfortable they’ll generate something positive.

OSU had Branham tonight. We didn’t. Wisconsin had Davis, we didn’t. Syracuse had Boeheim, we didn’t. In the past few years Wisky had Trice. Purdue had Edwards.

So…no matter what happens, this year will be forgettable. Even if we win our next 3 somehow.

So let’s hope JHS is that guy. Or Gabe Cupps maybe the year after. Because we can’t become relevant again if we don’t find guards like that.
I watched a game from yogis senior year the other night. That team had a ton of talent. The problem was play fast and not much defense. Remember yogi was ready from day one but he also had studs to feed. Makes a difference when you can dish to zeller and Oladipo.

Reactions: Willdog7
I watched a game from yogis senior year the other night. That team had a ton of talent. The problem was play fast and not much defense. Remember yogi was ready from day one but he also had studs to feed. Makes a difference when you can dish to zeller and Oladipo.
His senior year though they went as he went. He made Troy Williams and Thomas Bryant look good. And when they needed plays made, whether it be to win games late…or to stop bad runs…they had Yogi to ensure we’d get a good look.

Reactions: Willdog7
His senior year though they went as he went. He made Troy Williams and Thomas Bryant look good. And when they needed plays made, whether it be to win games late…or to stop bad runs…they had Yogi to ensure we’d get a good look.
He did no doubt. Unfortunately we had a weak schedule that year and got like a 4 seed I think even after winning the big ten. If I recall NC took us down pretty good in the NCAA that year by like 20. But still a good year. A sweet sixteen at IU now is actually amazing given we have made one elite 8 in 27 years.

Archie Miller just called and said Mike Woodson stole his offense.
I honestly didn’t think we would ever see a worse offensive basketball team at Indiana than Archie Miller had….but Woody appears to have pulled it off. Not only is it frustrating that Indiana continues to lose, it’s just bad, boring basketball.

Reactions: BigMobe
I honestly didn’t think we would ever see a worse offensive basketball team at Indiana than Archie Miller had….but Woody appears to have pulled it off. Not only is it frustrating that Indiana continues to lose, it’s just bad, boring basketball.
The most telling offseason moves to me will be to see if all the assistants and Matta stick around. We were sold of this all star coaching staff. But I wonder if woodson is even listening to them? Matta cant coach but cannot certainly talk to woodson off the court all day long. If he bolts it would be big red flag likely.

I just got done watching some old Indiana games the way we move without the basketball in the 90s was beautiful. I don't understand why Woody is not running more motion to get Kopp and Parker shots..

Truer words have never been spoken. Impactful guards or lack there of, has been a recording for years now.

I just got done watching some old Indiana games the way we move without the basketball in the 90s was beautiful. I don't understand why Woody is not running more motion to get Kopp and Parker shots..
The mental make-up of the team is so bad...Parker hit 2 three's in the first half, both contested. Then he gets the ball at the top of the key with NO ONE near him, what does he do instead of letting it fly? He shot fakes (no one there) and drives into the lane which is crowded and tries to put up a shot that I believe hit the underside of the rim!

Why ould you leave Parker and Kopp; they are slow and not very mobile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT