ADVERTISEMENT

WBB News: Kellie Harper fired at Tenn

kraft cheese+macaroni

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2010
Someone on my Twitter feed (not an industry person) said to watch for Teri Moren's name.

I immediately thought no way in hell...her dad is older, her siblings attend every home game, she's a native and close to home.

Can anyone fathom her leaving at this point? Maybe use it for leverage, but to actually entertain the thought of leaving? I'd be stunned (and heartbroken).

Someone on my Twitter feed (not an industry person) said to watch for Teri Moren's name.

I immediately thought no way in hell...her dad is older, her siblings attend every home game, she's a native and close to home.

Can anyone fathom her leaving at this point? Maybe use it for leverage, but to actually entertain the thought of leaving? I'd be stunned (and heartbroken).
I'd agree, but I'd also agree it doesn't hurt her one bit to have her name swirling around such a position.

The Tennessee WBB team of today isn't the program we all grew up with. Like the IU men's banners, UT's women's banners are getting a bit dusty. if the goal is to win a championship, I don't see an IU to UT move improving the odds. Then the whole proximity to family issue is also in IU's favor. Recruiting? I'm not sure the UT name carries the day with teenagers.

The Tennessee WBB team of today isn't the program we all grew up with. Like the IU men's banners, UT's women's banners are getting a bit dusty. if the goal is to win a championship, I don't see an IU to UT move improving the odds. Then the whole proximity to family issue is also in IU's favor. Recruiting? I'm not sure the UT name carries the day with teenagers.
Yeah, and I would question how much a school can pay for a women's coach, even a storied program like UT. My guess is that it would be hard for them to rival a coach who's come in and done a good job and gotten raises and extensions to reflect that, just because it's very questionable if that program can more than cover it's costs. I wonder how many women's programs are truly profitable? SC, UConn, Iowa and IU for sure I would think, but I bet it really flattens out after that. No idea what kind of support the CA schools like UCLA and USC get.

UT football or bball coach's openings? Yeah, they're going to empty the bank account for that. I'm not sure how much they'd do that for a women's bball position.

Historically PU's women's program is much more accomplished than IU's but I bet Moren makes a lot more than their WBB head coach.

Yeah, and I would question how much a school can pay for a women's coach, even a storied program like UT. My guess is that it would be hard for them to rival a coach who's come in and done a good job and gotten raises and extensions to reflect that, just because it's very questionable if that program can more than cover it's costs. I wonder how many women's programs are truly profitable? SC, UConn, Iowa and IU for sure I would think, but I bet it really flattens out after that. No idea what kind of support the CA schools like UCLA and USC get.

UT football or bball coach's openings? Yeah, they're going to empty the bank account for that. I'm not sure how much they'd do that for a women's bball position.

Historically PU's women's program is much more accomplished than IU's but I bet Moren makes a lot more than their WBB head coach.
Katie Gearlds, 585k, Moren 865k, Harper 1.1 million. UTenn is willing to lose money on WBBall to get back to FFs

Moren now makes $1.3.

IU WBB is not profitable by a longshot. No programs are profitable
eye opening, but those figures look suspect to me, even from last year. WBB revenues at $739,000? I thought this year the ladies were averaging around 13K. I don't know how or if revenue is created off of student tix, but still seems way low just on ticket revenues and not counting merch sales or TV revenues.

eye opening, but those figures look suspect to me, even from last year. WBB revenues at $739,000? I thought this year the ladies were averaging around 13K. I don't know how or if revenue is created off of student tix, but still seems way low just on ticket revenues and not counting merch sales or TV revenues.
Averaged just over 10k in attendance (less last year). Students are free, university employees are free. Season tickets are $7/game or so.

I don't think TV revenue is split out by sport, just by school.

Reactions: kkott
This recently ended season IUWBB averaged over 10K, the year before was 7.3K, and the year before was a little under 5K. I'd guess the numbers are for a year or two ago. Tickets are affordable.

Pat Summit's last year there (2012) she was the highest paid coach at $2M. Today the highest paid coaches are a little above $3M. UT can pay whatever they want, they have a lot of athletic dept revenue and it's going up.

They could offer Teri more than what she makes now ($1.3M), but IU could easily match it if needed.

I don't know if UT is that much more appealing of a program. IU averaged ~1,300 more people per game than UT this past season and it's a great basketball town. Other people who know would have to opine on how appealing the UT job is, maybe the ceiling is higher there, I don't know, but I kind of doubt it given the rise of other schools in WBB.

Regardless, I would hope IU commits the salary and NIL required to keep the program on it's current trajectory. They seem to be, but I don't know for sure. We should be a top program in women's hoops -- good for the school and fans, plus there is an extra public good to have a very popular women's sport in town, it's getting a lot more people included in basketball.

They only recently started charging admission to the games. WBB has been a non-revenue sport until recently.

This recently ended season IUWBB averaged over 10K, the year before was 7.3K, and the year before was a little under 5K. I'd guess the numbers are for a year or two ago. Tickets are affordable.

Pat Summit's last year there (2012) she was the highest paid coach at $2M. Today the highest paid coaches are a little above $3M. UT can pay whatever they want, they have a lot of athletic dept revenue and it's going up.

They could offer Teri more than what she makes now ($1.3M), but IU could easily match it if needed.

I don't know if UT is that much more appealing of a program. IU averaged ~1,300 more people per game than UT this past season and it's a great basketball town. Other people who know would have to opine on how appealing the UT job is, maybe the ceiling is higher there, I don't know, but I kind of doubt it given the rise of other schools in WBB.

Regardless, I would hope IU commits the salary and NIL required to keep the program on it's current trajectory. They seem to be, but I don't know for sure. We should be a top program in women's hoops -- good for the school and fans, plus there is an extra public good to have a very popular women's sport in town, it's getting a lot more people included in basketball.
The ceiling MIGHT be higher, but it's hard to know. I only say that because of the history of the program and it being in the SEC. It's hard to argue that good SEC women's programs aren't getting higher caliber athletes and I think that's what it's going to take for Moren to make another jump and be competitive with the best programs nationally; she's going to have to get even better athletes. But, I feel like Moren knows that and is working towards that now. If not, it's probably going to get emphasized next year when USC and UCLA join the conference.

The ceiling MIGHT be higher, but it's hard to know. I only say that because of the history of the program and it being in the SEC. It's hard to argue that good SEC women's programs aren't getting higher caliber athletes and I think that's what it's going to take for Moren to make another jump and be competitive with the best programs nationally; she's going to have to get even better athletes. But, I feel like Moren knows that and is working towards that now. If not, it's probably going to get emphasized next year when USC and UCLA join the conference.
I only watched UCLA play once this year and it was yesterday. I felt like they were huge, but not necessarily athletic. I will try to watch USC tonight, but it'll bleed past my bedtime since I have a training run to do at 6am.

It all depends on what is included. Parking, tickets, concessions are easy to add. Who keeps score of the increase in sales for the businesses that advertise? How many young girls go to IU instead of other schools? Jerseys?

They only recently started charging admission to the games. WBB has been a non-revenue sport until recently.
They recently started selling reserved seats but they have been charging admission for several years

They recently started selling reserved seats but they have been charging admission for several years
Yeah it's probably been longer than it seems. Time flies. I do remember going to womens games for free though. There would be a few hundred, maybe 1,000 people there on a good night.

Yeah it's probably been longer than it seems. Time flies. I do remember going to womens games for free though. There would be a few hundred, maybe 1,000 people there on a good night.
We didn’t play many non-conference home games for a few years. There wasn’t much reason to, with the lack of interest

Except for the part when she played and coached at Purdue.

Except for the part when she played and coached at Purdue.
She played there, I've never seen any mention of her coaching there.

She's talked frequently about growing up an IU fan, attending men's games with her dad, etc. She was recruited to Purdue by Lynn Dunne and she remains very close to her today. I don't think she believes that LD was treated very well by Purdue.

She played there, I've never seen any mention of her coaching there.

She's talked frequently about growing up an IU fan, attending men's games with her dad, etc. She was recruited to Purdue by Lynn Dunne and she remains very close to her today. I don't think she believes that LD was treated very well by Purdue.
She didn't coach there

NIL has changed a lot of the landscape in college sports. JuJu to USC, Clark to Iowa are just a couple of examples of players going to other universities to make a name for themselves and the team. Years ago UT or UCONN might have gotten these girls.

NIL has changed a lot of the landscape in college sports. JuJu to USC, Clark to Iowa are just a couple of examples of players going to other universities to make a name for themselves and the team. Years ago UT or UCONN might have gotten these girls.
I think your two examples have as much to do with proximity to home as they do most other things.

Reports saying Moren turned Tennessee down. Wonder if IU had to come off some money?

She would have played at IU if we had bothered to offer her.
No, I read an article on her and she always loved IU men!’s basketball growing up and when she got in high school and was really good she wanted to play for a good program. She would’ve gone to IU had they been good, but it made more sense to play for the best in the state at the time it was Purdue.

I brought this up a long while back. I don't think she leaves, TBH. And moe than just being a native Hoosier, family things, etc.....More so b/c hat she is building here. And really IMO the only school that really recruits itself is UCONN----and that's only b/c Geno is there. And yes TENN is a great job. I just don't thik its the upgrade it was 10-20 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT