ADVERTISEMENT

Watching 'History of the Eagles' for the 3rd time.

C-$

Hall of Famer
Nov 1, 2002
Carmel, Indiana
This is such a good watch..........

They are easily one of my favorite bands of all time, even though TMP swears that Don Henley is Satan.

To which I give zero shits.......

They are easily one of my favorite bands of all time, even though TMP swears that Don Henley is Satan.

Dumb

Don Henley is the Bill Belicheat of rock'n'roll. Always seeing what he can get away with.

#what-a-dick

Reactions: hoosierdug

Really enjoyable... Some massive egos hurt them. Wish I could have seen them live

Reactions: C-$ and dr.jb
The part where glenn fry describes jackson brown making tea and writing songs.

Time
Precision

Reactions: C-$
saw them in 74' and 94', terrific both times

felder (and walsh) never got enough credit
Seeing them in '74 at their heyday imo, must have been awesome. I was 9, and listening to them courtesy of my older sister, but not thinking of going. The days of the mighty 8 track!

By '94, they had changed to "as much as we can for as long as we can.". Understand Moops sentiment, but from what I know what the Eagles are doing is just Capitalism. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Whereas Bellicheat is violating the rules of his own league/profession (I assume).

Reactions: hoosierdug
Eagles are doing is just Capitalism
The second you mix business with music it's no longer art. The second one writes pop songs it's then prostitution. Henley did both and broke the Bard's code. He'll rot in hell for it.

Last edited:
The second you mix business with music it's no longer art. The second one writes pop songs it's then prostitution. Henley did both and broke the Bard's code. He'll rot in hell for it.
Are they just suppose to starve their entire life, not sell CD's/albums, concerts for free, etc? Not sure I understand how you can make a living if you can't mix business with music.

Are they just suppose to starve their entire life, not sell CD's/albums, concerts for free, etc? Not sure I understand how you can make a living if you can't mix business with music.
You wouldnt understand. Honestly you wouldnt so not gonna waste my time explainging it. Youre not a bard.

What he either is wrong about or just didn't communicate effectively is that you absolutely can make money being an artist, they're not mutually exclusive. But if your main goal is to make money, it will compromise the art....

Reactions: T.M.P.
Saw them twice. Once at the Convention Center in Indy. Some dude with a weird name and who we'd never heard of opened for them. Dan Fogleberg.

Second time I saw them was in 1977 at Market Square Arena. Had third row, center seats. Hot date with me. We were burning one and I remember Don Felder looking at us(or was he looking at her) and giving a "naughty-naughty" shake of his head.

After the concert, I took the date to her friends apartment. She asked me if I wanted to come in. I said "No. I've got to work tomorrow." I was a dumb-ass. Could have scored.

McHoop

That's a great documentary.

I was always big on harmonies so I was big on the Eagles when I was a kid.

I still love Walsh's Pretty Maids in Row.

Felder was a putz but, IMHO, a strong guitarist. Obviously Joe Walsh can jam. All those dudes can sing, especially Leadon and Meisner.

Henley has a great voice, period.

I don't listen to the Eagles any more aside from Those Shoes, which is bad ass. There's a reason the Beasties sampled it.

That's a great documentary.

I was always big on harmonies so I was big on the Eagles when I was a kid.

I still love Walsh's Pretty Maids in Row.

Felder was a putz but, IMHO, a strong guitarist. Obviously Joe Walsh can jam. All those dudes can sing, especially Leadon and Meisner.

Henley has a great voice, period.

I don't listen to the Eagles any more aside from Those Shoes, which is bad ass. There's a reason the Beasties sampled it.
Frey could write, as could Henley. Their best tunes were the minor key country stuff they did. Felder was probably the most musically talented in that band, when Henley allowed him to be, like when he arranged Hotel Cali. Walsh is/was the putz - always has been always will be. Goofy MF.

I seriously can't think of a more over controlling megalomaniac than Henley - he makes As'l Rose seem mellow and affable. I bet everyone that was in that band wanted to literally kill Henley more than once. He'd have to be a nightmare band mate.

Felder told a story on Howard Stern years back, where he said that although contractually all monies were supposed to be split 4 ways (this was agreed upon by all parties when they got together) Felder knew there was a problem when he was showing up to concerts in a regular car, while Frey and Henley started showing up in limos.

it was a good watch. Man, I liked Glen Frey more when I knew less about him. He was an arrogant SOB

Oh, I also have to bring up another hilarious interview on Stern I heard regarding Glenn Frey (from last year, I believe.) Chelsea Handler was telling a story about how she was invited by her manager to some tropical location to get away and relax. Her manager was, I believe, Irving Azoff who is famous for managing famous musicians. Handler said all was going well until she returned from the beach back to the hotel she was staying in and went to meet with her manager at his room. There were several people in the room listening to music and when Handler arrived in the room, she immediately said; "Oh God this music is awful! What is this shit? Turn it off! Turn it off!" Turns out Glenn Frey was in the room with his people and his manager (Azoff) and they were listening to Frey's soon to be released solo album.

:D

True story.

Oh, I also have to bring up another hilarious interview on Stern I heard regarding Glenn Frey (from last year, I believe.) Chelsea Handler was telling a story about how she was invited by her manager to some tropical location to get away and relax. Her manager was, I believe, Irving Azoff who is famous for managing famous musicians. Handler said all was going well until she returned from the beach back to the hotel she was staying in and went to meet with her manager at his room. There were several people in the room listening to music and when Handler arrived in the room, she immediately said; "Oh God this music is awful! What is this shit? Turn it off! Turn it off!" Turns out Glenn Frey was in the room with his people and his manager (Azoff) and they were listening to Frey's soon to be released solo album.

:D

True story.

The Heat Is On is almost as bad as Sessudio in awfulness. You Belong to the City brings back warm fuzzy memories but it is crap.

Smugglers Blues is his best solo tune.

The Heat Is On is almost as bad as Sessudio in awfulness. You Belong to the City brings back warm fuzzy memories but it is crap.

Smugglers Blues is his best solo tune.
Seen the Eagles
Saw them twice. Once at the Convention Center in Indy. Some dude with a weird name and who we'd never heard of opened for them. Dan Fogleberg.

Second time I saw them was in 1977 at Market Square Arena. Had third row, center seats. Hot date with me. We were burning one and I remember Don Felder looking at us(or was he looking at her) and giving a "naughty-naughty" shake of his head.

After the concert, I took the date to her friends apartment. She asked me if I wanted to come in. I said "No. I've got to work tomorrow." I was a dumb-ass. Could have scored.

McHoop
After 78 the Eagles concerts,kind of lost the magic.

Frey could write, as could Henley. Their best tunes were the minor key country stuff they did. Felder was probably the most musically talented in that band, when Henley allowed him to be, like when he arranged Hotel Cali. Walsh is/was the putz - always has been always will be. Goofy MF.

I seriously can't think of a more over controlling megalomaniac than Henley - he makes As'l Rose seem mellow and affable. I bet everyone that was in that band wanted to literally kill Henley more than once. He'd have to be a nightmare band mate.

Yes, Walsh is a goofball...but he's so damn likable. James Gang is good stuff. And In the City...come on man.

He really turned his life around. He was at one time the only guy who could hang with Keith Moon, literally. And he survived.

in the doc, he definitely comes off as the most likable. Almost naive. Or willfully oblivious. Or maybe he was just gacked to the point of oblivion.

Frey is a cock. But...how could he not be? I was impressed that he accepted early on that Henleys voice, and not his, was the future of the band.

David Geffen goes out of his way to call Henley a "malcontent". Pretty funny.

Henley, as much as I like him, is sorta robotic. i think he hates confrontation and he needed Frey to impose his will.

Felder truly is a malcontent. The Gov Jerry Brown benefit concert is classic. The audio of Frey telling Felder he is going to kill him after the show is Hilario.

And of course the story where Leadon dumps a beer over Frey's head and quits the band his awesome. His thoughts on it now are worth hearing.

I am very picky when it comes to music docs. This one is really good although it does go on a little long.

Reactions: T.M.P. and C-$
Yes, Walsh is a goofball...but he's so damn likable. James Gang is good stuff. And In the City...come on man.

He really turned his life around. He was at one time the only guy who could hang with Keith Moon, literally. And he survived.

in the doc, he definitely comes off as the most likable. Almost naive. Or willfully oblivious. Or maybe he was just gacked to the point of oblivion.

Frey is a cock. But...how could he not be? I was impressed that he accepted early on that Henleys voice, and not his, was the future of the band.

David Geffen goes out of his way to call Henley a "malcontent". Pretty funny.

Henley, as much as I like him, is sorta robotic. i think he hates confrontation and he needed Frey to impose his will.

Felder truly is a malcontent. The Gov Jerry Brown benefit concert is classic. The audio of Frey telling Felder he is going to kill him after the show is Hilario.

And of course the story where Leadon dumps a beer over Frey's head and quits the band his awesome. His thoughts on it now are worth hearing.

I am very picky when it comes to music docs. This one is really good although it does go on a little long.

Word.

Felder truly is a malcontent
Almost anyone would be after putting up with Henley for that long. There was one tour where DH became all megalomaniacal and didn't speak to a single member of the band including Frey for the whole tour.

I've seen bad marriages that were more functional. Felder was probably the best arranger they had, though he didn't get to do it much. Only a few people could be so musically controlling as Henley.

James Brown, was another complete jerk. The movie they did on him was a puff piece. The scene where he tells Maceo what to play is a bold ass lie. The real story was he played something, James complained, he argued and played it the same exact way and James said "that's what I'm talking about". Dude was musically clueless and without Byrd or Collins doing the actual creative work, probably couldn't write Mary had a Little Lamb.

There's a few noted assholes in music, mostly front men. Assholes being the most common description used by band mates. As'l Rose. James Brown. Don Henley lead that list. Add Lars Ulric as a non front man asshole. Chuck Berry is another, though he, unlike the above, at least had the talent to back it up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT