ADVERTISEMENT

Was out in Laguna Beach last week...

Ungar16

Hall of Famer
Oct 29, 2005
flew back into Chicago and realized the midwest is full of FAT people. Gezz what happened to us. Maybe they are all just dehydrated out there which keeps them skinny.

I have a new community goal now reduce the obesity rate in Kos. county... may have to contact some meth dealers to pull it off but I think we can get below a 50% obesity rate (joking on that stat it is really probably 49%)

flew back into Chicago and realized the midwest is full of FAT people. Gezz what happened to us. Maybe they are all just dehydrated out there which keeps them skinny.

I have a new community goal now reduce the obesity rate in Kos. county... may have to contact some meth dealers to pull it off but I think we can get below a 50% obesity rate (joking on that stat it is really probably 49%)
So what's your BMI? Are you a svelte person?

Of course the people in California are in better shape than those in Indiana and Illinois. The weather is better which promotes activity. I imagine if all the people out in California were trapped inside for 9 months out of the year, they'd all be heavier as well. It's easy to be in shape when your lifestyle is more active and you're doing more things outside.

Of course the people in California are in better shape than those in Indiana and Illinois. The weather is better which promotes activity. I imagine if all the people out in California were trapped inside for 9 months out of the year, they'd all be heavier as well. It's easy to be in shape when your lifestyle is more active and you're doing more things outside.

That doesn't really hold up, Prague has virtually the same weather as the mid west and there are not nearly as many fatties here.

People here exercise year round.

I spend a lot of time in DC and in Indiana. I never eat fast food in DC. I eat fast food two to three times a week when I'm in Indiana.

When I'm in DC, I walk about 5 miles a day. When I'm in Indiana, I walk maybe half a mile. My weight can fluctuate by about 5 pounds depending on whether I'm in Indiana or DC during the week.

Not necessarily true. Some of the fittest places in the US are in Colorado and Montana. California has only one county that is in the top 10 now they probably have a lot more in the top 50 than most states. I am pretty sure Indiana doesn't have 1 in the top 100 maybe even 200 counties in the US.

I have 11.7% body fat which was what it was the last time I measured and that was a month ago. I am far from a couch potato but there is plenty of room for improvement. We are looking at adding standing desk for all our employees, an expensive investment but it could be a life saver. I do drink a few beers from time to time, also love bourbon.

Last edited:
"Why the Wealthy are Healthy" -
http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/on-retirement/2012/05/15/why-the-wealthy-are-healthy

I've never been to the west coast. I imagine it's a lot easier to find a fast food restaurant in Kosciusko County than it is to find one in Laguna Beach.

You are right I think I saw 1 fast food chain in Laguna which was In and Out. Other than that I didn't see any driving around. A lot of nice restaurants.. I enjoyed the ocean and the food that was about it. Couldn't live with people on top of me all the time and the traffic would drive me nuts. Not sure how people do that every day. I will take my 6 min drive to work.

Not necessarily true. Some of the fittest places in the US are in Colorado and Montana. California has only one county that is in the top 10 now they probably have a lot more in the top 50 than most states. I am pretty sure Indiana doesn't have 1 in the top 100 maybe even 200 counties in the US.

I have 11.7% body fat which was what it was the last time I measured and that was a month ago. I am far from a couch potato but there is plenty of room for improvement. We are looking at adding standing desk for all our employees, an expensive investment but it could be a life saver. I do drink a few beers from time to time, also love bourbon.

Colorado has 300 days of sunshine per year, and some of the best outdoor activities anywhere in the country, regardless of season. The midwest has maybe 4 months a year where it's pleasant to be outdoors, summers hot and humid, winters cold and overcast.

As pointed out, Colorado has the most sunny days of any state, and it's a known haven for outdoor enthusiasts. Also, is there any reason to live in Montana if you're not a rancher? Colorado is loaded with professional cyclists, climbers, and the National Development Center is in Colorado springs which is where they all prepare for the olympics. My twin brother lives in Denver right now, and for one reason or another, he's constantly outside. Even when it snows, the next day it'll be sunny. That's what is so rough about living in the midwest. The constant gloom that lingers from December to well into April makes it hard to get up and get moving. Hence one reason for the high obesity rates.

Edit: The obesity rates to have a lot to do with the prevalence of fast food. I don't know about Prague, but there are a lot of fast food chains here in WV, and even out in California there are many as well. I was only in Prague for a couple of days, but I don't recall seeing many/any fast food chains out there. Granted we did stay downtown, and were trying not to get pick-pocketed the entire time, so there's probably two reasons why I didn't notice any of them.

As pointed out, Colorado has the most sunny days of any state, and it's a known haven for outdoor enthusiasts. Also, is there any reason to live in Montana if you're not a rancher? Colorado is loaded with professional cyclists, climbers, and the National Development Center is in Colorado springs which is where they all prepare for the olympics. My twin brother lives in Denver right now, and for one reason or another, he's constantly outside. Even when it snows, the next day it'll be sunny. That's what is so rough about living in the midwest. The constant gloom that lingers from December to well into April makes it hard to get up and get moving. Hence one reason for the high obesity rates.

Edit: The obesity rates to have a lot to do with the prevalence of fast food. I don't know about Prague, but there are a lot of fast food chains here in WV, and even out in California there are many as well. I was only in Prague for a couple of days, but I don't recall seeing many/any fast food chains out there. Granted we did stay downtown, and were trying not to get pick-pocketed the entire time, so there's probably two reasons why I didn't notice any of them.

It's fast food, high amount of smokers comparatively and the relatively poor financial profile of individuals in the state, which creates a viscious cycle. Its hard to find healthy food options. We don't have access to great fish, Don Marsh has a mafia on grocery stores and has prevented a lot of organic/local growers from developing that type of healthy access.

I never realized how fat many are here while growing up. Moved away for 11 years and then moved back. It's astounding.

It's fast food, high amount of smokers comparatively and the relatively poor financial profile of individuals in the state, which creates a viscious cycle. Its hard to find healthy food options. We don't have access to great fish, Don Marsh has a mafia on grocery stores and has prevented a lot of organic/local growers from developing that type of healthy access.

I never realized how fat many are here while growing up. Moved away for 11 years and then moved back. It's astounding.

Are you talking about Montana?

Was in London two weeks ago. Given their carb/deep fried heavy diet, I was amazed by at the lack of lard asses. One thing I did notice is their food has real sugars as opposed to HF corn syrup.

Laguna Beach is where we often go when we visit our friends in Orange County. There is a park on the cliff to the north of the public beach we like to go to with a bottle of wine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT