ADVERTISEMENT

Was far from pretty

Palmbeachhoosier

All-Big Ten
Aug 13, 2016
Delray Beach, FL
Definitely not pretty but it is a win. Hopefully Penix is ok and nice to Tuttle get some playing time in meaningful time. Run game started slow but asserted itself later. Pass game on a hiatus. Defense veas incredible. Continues to pressure quarterback and still cover folks. Did not give up a bunch of explosive plays and able to keep IU in the lead while the offense struggled. Really solid game.

Definitely not pretty but it is a win. Hopefully Penix is ok and nice to Tuttle get some playing time in meaningful time. Run game started slow but asserted itself later. Pass game on a hiatus. Defense veas incredible. Continues to pressure quarterback and still cover folks. Did not give up a bunch of explosive plays and able to keep IU in the lead while the offense struggled. Really solid game.

Yep...

Tangible proof we're a good team when we can go out and have arguably our worst game to date and still win by more than two touchdowns...

This defense is good and the scheme must be top notch. The coaching on that side of the ball is impressive. The announcers commented late in the broadcast just how good the back 7 is and complimented Wommack and his cutting edge scheme.

This defense is good and the scheme must be top notch. The coaching on that side of the ball is impressive. The announcers commented late in the broadcast just how good the back 7 is and complimented Wommack and his cutting edge scheme.
I wish I knew the Xs & Os so I could understand what he's doing that's so cutting edge. Looks to me like he's sending people from all different directions, and he's got the personnel in the backfield to cover.

Yes, after watching these guys against PSU their offense concerned me. It was fun watching all that pressure coming and rattling their QB a bit. This defense is for real.

I wish I knew the Xs & Os so I could understand what he's doing that's so cutting edge. Looks to me like he's sending people from all different directions, and he's got the personnel in the backfield to cover.
One thing that I heard Wommack talk about was how he was implementing more zone even with their exotic pressure packages. The one thing that is quite obvious is how prepared they are. Last year they used to have a bunch of busted coverages.

It’s come to the point when we play about as bad as we can offensively and still manage to win by two full scores + conversion extra points.
That’s when you know that you’ve got a good ball club. Not perfect but able to compensate with our defense.
I didn’t realize when we were recruiting a Penny Boone that the guy was that big.
All that said....Go Michigan State!

Reactions: vesuvius13
We need a loss on their resume. We’ve already got one. You want them with a better inside track post season? We’ve got a loss. I won’t be rooting for any conference team to go undefeated.
That's cold, man.

Both of us should be in line for a NY6 bowl. I don't know that there will be much difference between them.

That's cold, man.

Both of us should be in line for a NY6 bowl. I don't know that there will be much difference between them.

There’s a lot more at stake if OSU cancels another game. It’s not about “being cold.”
I generally like Northwestern. If anything, it will keep “shakes” (or what’re his name is jawing about how NW is underrated) off the board for a while

Reactions: 76-1
One thing that I heard Wommack talk about was how he was implementing more zone even with their exotic pressure packages. The one thing that is quite obvious is how prepared they are. Last year they used to have a bunch of busted coverages.
I think the new safeties coach deserves a lot of credit. The safety play has been great. Last year it was horrific.

Baldwin was a breath of fresh air.
Baldwin definitely brings more wiggle to the run game. The reality is none of the running backs are dynamic players in the open field. There were three or four plays that could have gone the distance with a speedy running back. Could have easily had 300 plus yards of rushing offense today. Our backs are tough short yardage backs.

Reactions: vesuvius13
There is an old saying in Sports, that they don't ask HOW, just HOW MANY. That is, no body awards you extra style points for how you win. Pretty or not we are 5-1 no matter how we got it done.
Two other things.
1. 2 Years ago we would have been ecstatic with a 16 Point win over any Big Ten Team. Now we are looking for more and asking how we can get more from this team and acknowledging the warts and rough spots and looking for ways to get them corrected.
2. I know our Basketball Team played and won the other night and plays early this week. I don't know anyone who is living and dying about when they play and how they do.

Baldwin definitely brings more wiggle to the run game. The reality is none of the running backs are dynamic players in the open field. There were three or four plays that could have gone the distance with a speedy running back. Could have easily had 300 plus yards of rushing offense today. Our backs are tough short yardage backs.

I’m struggling to name one Big Ten RB with explosive, breakaway speed. Are there any?

I am hoping Baldwin can evolve into that guy who can take it to the house.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
There is an old saying in Sports, that they don't ask HOW, just HOW MANY. That is, no body awards you extra style points for how you win. Pretty or not we are 5-1 no matter how we got it done.
Two other things.
1. 2 Years ago we would have been ecstatic with a 16 Point win over any Big Ten Team. Now we are looking for more and asking how we can get more from this team and acknowledging the warts and rough spots and looking for ways to get them corrected.
2. I know our Basketball Team played and won the other night and plays early this week. I don't know anyone who is living and dying about when they play and how they do.
Don’t get me wrong I will take any win.

The entire defensive scheme is impressive. IU has lesser athletes than many BIG programs and certainly less depth...they are disguising things very well.
Sorry but athleticism and depth are strengths of this defense. You need to pay attention to how many guys rotate on defense. McFadden is unbelievable at LB and got more athletic with Bonhomme replacing Tom Allen. And the secondary is unbelievable.

Reactions: td75 and 4IUSox2
Helps understanding just how good Tevin Coleman was. He absolutely had another gear when he had a crease...

Sorry but athleticism and depth are strengths of this defense. You need to pay attention to how many guys rotate on defense. McFadden is unbelievable at LB and got more athletic with Bonhomme replacing Tom Allen. And the secondary is unbelievable.

A stellar group from where IU has been, but still Osu, Psu, UM, Wisky even Msu all have deeper lines of athletes at almost every position. The staff is doing a marvelous job.

Tom is recruiting a certain type of athlete that Indiana typically hasn't always had. The Jamar Johnson types, the Tiawan Mullen types are All Big Ten performers and it shows loud and clear.

I think Tom has really been able to close the talent gap on defense by recruiting the hell out of Tampa and Florida in general. He's brought SPEED, closing ability, cover guys, guys that tackle, linebackers that bust your ass, etc. Look at Bonhamme's wheels, and he's not a starter. Cam Jones made several thumping hits today...

We've got kids who are athletic enough to utilize Wommack's scheme properly. That secondary is something else and the linebackers ain't bad...

Reactions: ESalum86
I’m struggling to name one Big Ten RB with explosive, breakaway speed. Are there any?
Ohio State has guys who can take it to the house. Michigan to a lesser extent. After that it's slim pickings. It's one of the reasons the Big Ten is so lousy this year. Not a lot of big play running backs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT