ADVERTISEMENT

Very disaapointed

IU Scott

Hall of Famer
Jun 28, 2014
Greenfield Indiana
in the play and effort last night from the coaches and the players because everyone should take responsibility for this performance. We got beat in transition defense all night and I have never seen a team so bad in guarding the dribble. We have no help side defense which is inexcusable and the guys showed no pride in the game last night.

Troy Williams seems to only play well at home and I feel like he needs the crowd behind to perform at a high level and I am tired of how he plays out of control and just put his head down when going to the basket. The team came out and just jacked up bad shot after bad shot early on and never ran the offense with movement or ball movement. JBJ for the first time I thought forced a lot of shots that was not in rhythm and it took him out of the game.

IU gets beat so badly in transition defense...

...because of how poor of judgment that Crean ALLOWS them to play with in transition offense. Its a very delicate balance.

His philosophy in maximizing offense in transition is sound, because its the hardest offense to defend well consistently, and upward of 60% of all possessions are transition-oriented. His belief in the principles of getting stuff going to the rim, getting ball reversal, going inside-out, and crashing the glass, is also very sound, but HE DOES NOT hold their feet to the fire in doing it. Therefore, other teams FEAST on IU in their own offensive transition, preying on IU's poor decision-making, and bad shot selection.

I'm at a complete loss at understanding as to how he won't hold them accountable to doing what he preaches, and Seth Greenberg stated toward the end of the Maryland game the key stat that backs up what IU did in that game, that they absolutely did not do against Purdue and MSU: 3s in transition off of ball reversal: 10-14 against Maryland.

How many bad, ill-advised, off balance shots has Blackmon and Troy taken this year? By their careers end, if such a stat did exist, only Bracey Wright will have taken more bad shots than they have. And a bad shot is a turnover, it leads to easy transition for the other team. Why are they never subbed out when they do that? Don't most coaches use the bench as the best motivator for how to play, and for a kid to get to play?

IU is easy to play against as a result. Teams that normally don't emphasize transition, but do run in transition and play it efficiently, just pummel Indiana because of simply being far more disciplined in how they play it. Not to mention that IU doesn't screen, and plays almost exclusively dribble drive and kick. Its a glorified AAU team.

I am also disappointed but not all surprised. We need some changes made and not just on the court.

Re: Not surprised that we lost

Well we haven't competed well against quality(PU is average) opponents away from assembly. MSU, OSU, Louiville and PU

Very disappointed as well, but time to recover if they want to.

I am hopeful that CTC will see on the tape how Yogi sprinted back on D in the second half while the rest took their time. The contrast in effort between Yogi and the rest of the team was noticeable. JBJ did seem to pick up some of Yogi's fire late. Troy must have had a greasy cheeseburger before the game. He couldn't hold onto the ball all night, yet the stats show he only had 2 turnovers. He was 4-12 shooting, so they must have counted losing the ball on the drive as a shot.

I said at the beginning of the year that our success depended on how much Troy had improved.

Breaking down the score. We made 2 fewer 2 point baskets, 12 fewer free throws, and and equal number of 3 point shots. We allowed them to shoot 58%. We shot 38%. On the good side, we out-rebounded PUke by 11 and had 2 fewer turnovers.

The 2011-12 team lost 3 in a row in the conference with a similar lack of focus and effort after reaching a #7 ranking. Two of those 3 losses were against teams we considered easy wins. This team reminds me of that team. I hope this loss finally teaches the team the effort it takes to win and how bad it feels to lose.

The good news is we are 5-3 with 4 road games left with 2 of those being very winnable.
This post was edited on 1/29 9:11 AM by iubud

The only way that would matter...

...is if Crean sends 5 guys to the offensive glass, which would be retarded.

Having 5 guys on the defensive boards, everyone does that.

Other than Yogi...it was like...

...the team checked out of the game from the very start...hardly any effort at all to win...

Home page of Peegs

I clicked on the box score under the picture on the home page.

I understand the point

If 5 guys are crashing the boards, it is easier for the other team to leave early to get down the court. At least one player should always guard against that.

Similar to having your good defenders shooting deep 3's from the baseline puts you at some risk.

Never ran the offense?

This "Playground Offense" is what we run every game! IU just ran into a team that had no problem shutting down that rediculous offense.
I sure would like to hear from those who think we don't need a big man in the middle. Purdue had a plan and it worked well.
Most, if not all teams, are a reflection of their coach. No doubt that IU falls in that category, big time.

When the players move the ball

and the players move like they did against Maryland it is a good offense but when the players stand around and not move then they are easy to defend. The offense is not the big problem with this team and most of the time it is a pretty efficient offense. where this team has to improve is on the defensive side of the ball.

Re: IU gets beat so badly in transition defense...

How do you know he does not hold them accountable. I would say from his post game comments and radio interview he is not happy with the performance. I seriously doubt practice this week will be a walk in the park!

42 - 31 on Peegs home page

I didn't look at ESPN. Frankly, I didn't want to look at the stats, but was curious about turnovers and rebounds.

If he held them accountable...

...he would take them out when they don't read numbers in transition, driving into traffic, and/or take poor, off-balance shots, and/or are the ones that blunt ball reversal, and/or take quick threes in transition without getting the ball moving toward the rim and/or reversed.

How do i know that he doesn't hold them accountable? To a degree, I don't. I'm assuming. How can i assume accurately? Because IU has the EXACT same issues with it game after game, and its now late January. So how do you fix it? You make it a point of emphasis by backing what you say with negative consequences: You get benched, and if that doesn't work, you stay on the bench, and if that doesn't work, you make them run until they puke.

And i am 100% sure, even though i'm never there to see it in practice that he does NOT hold them accountable. Because its rare, if ever, that he takes them out when they do any of the above that i've noted.

Here's a better question, then: how do you know that he DOES hold them accountable?

This post was edited on 1/29 12:24 PM by legsdiamond

THIS^^^^^^^^^ I said last night after the first 6 minutes, they gave up.

Exception was Yogi, but PUke kept pushing him all over the floor and everyone else jacked bad shots after zero or one pass, if they didn't bonehead before that. Yogi had a look, but everyone else seemed to be 'scared' and defeated before the tip.

I heard the stats on the post game

with Don fisher and it said it was 34-31 with us leading the rebounding
This post was edited on 1/29 12:28 PM by IU Scott

wow, we took 20 more shots than PU, but they MADE 2 more baskets.

Probably answers my question, but if you get your shot blocked, does it still count as an attempt? It would seam so, but I'm not sure.

You must think Butler sucks.

And the ILL team we beat in Champaign beat PUR in Champaign.

Didn't like the loss any more than you did, but you're only looking at the losses you want to advance your agenda. (You also left out GTWN, who we certainly competed with, taking them to overtime and could've won it.)

Not just that, but the way that CTC treated Fisch and Suhr....

might have been the worst moment of the night.

I hope he apologizes to them. It can be done privately, but it should be done.

Re: When the players move the ball

I do not believe that the team can improve in the half court defense playing undersized as they are. They did show some flashes of creating some chaos with the full court pressure. Maybe they should try more of that but i don't know if they have the discipline to stay out of foul trouble.

Re: If he held them accountable...

And I am assuming he does but no one can know for sure either way. Maybe he overlooks some of the issues because he has very little options other then that person. He sat JBJ on the bench to start the second half and sat Troy down several times when he was out of control. Do you think that might have been to stress accountability?

Let's not kid ourselves

Indy is basically Assembly Hall Jr... and Illinois isn't very good this year not to mention they didn't have the motivation of it being a rivalry game.

Good question...

...i would like to think that it does. But far too often that (subbing) will only occur after multiple bad plays, bad shots, etc.

When it happens game after game after game after game after game, that tells me that he does not hold their feet to the fire like he should. Esp. when IU plays teams that don't emphasize transition offense (i.e. Purdue) nearly to the degree that IU does, and then that team far out-executes IU in how they play it.

Anything that a team really emphasizes, i think its reasonable to expect them to be really good at it. And Indiana is the most wildly inconsistent team in transition offense that i've ever seen in my life, not just this season, but over a number of seasons.

Why would that be?

Re: wow, we took 20 more shots than PU, but they MADE 2 more baskets.

It counts as a shot unless a foul is called. Of course, no foul would ever be called on the shots from last night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT