ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer to Nebraska?

elijawon

Junior
May 20, 2009
This may have already been discussed, but to lose 7.5 million over a few weeks of waiting. Maybe they have a big name ready. Just speculating here.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I wouldn't do that if I was Meyer. He could probably find an easier job
Sporting News is saying Leipold of Kansas . . . former University of Buffalo coach . . . is a top pick to replace Frost. Says he knows how to build a winning culture.

Perennial doormat Kansas is 2-0 this year.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Agreed. He's used to working with top talent. The right guy can win big at Nebraska, but he'll have to work his ass off doing it.
IDK, with the transfer portal he could tweet out “who wants to compete for a natty” and get an all-star team coming in.

In my opinion the only college job Meyer would take at this point of his career is the Notre Dame job. I think it has always been his dream job. If the new coach keeps losing that job may become available sooner than later. In reality it would take at least two years of losing before ND would cut ties with their new coach. I can't help than think that Meyer has to be kicking himself for jumping at the Jacksonville job. He could have slipped right into the ND job a few months later when Kelly thought that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I am actually scratching my head over why Fox took him back after all the on and off the field crap that went down in Jacksonville. One of the worst coaching fails in NFL history.

In my opinion the only college job Meyer would take at this point of his career is the Notre Dame job. I think it has always been his dream job. If the new coach keeps losing that job may become available sooner than later. In reality it would take at least two years of losing before ND would cut ties with their new coach. I can't help than think that Meyer has to be kicking himself for jumping at the Jacksonville job. He could have slipped right into the ND job a few months later when Kelly thought that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I am actually scratching my head over why Fox took him back after all the on and off the field crap that went down in Jacksonville. One of the worst coaching fails in NFL history.
When UM was at Utah, the strong rumor was that he wanted ND, but that they didn’t believe they’d have to pay anything close to the market rate to get him. UF, meanwhile, was led by the former Utah President, who had become close with UM while they were in SLC. While ND waited for Urban to call them and ask to be considered for the job, Florida, led by Machen, went and got him. Don’t know if that arrogance and delusion has appreciably changed at ND.

When UM was at Utah, the strong rumor was that he wanted ND, but that they didn’t believe they’d have to pay anything close to the market rate to get him. UF, meanwhile, was led by the former Utah President, who had become close with UM while they were in SLC. While ND waited for Urban to call them and ask to be considered for the job, Florida, led by Machen, went and got him. Don’t know if that arrogance and delusion has appreciably changed at ND.
Well……according to Dan Dakich, Urban was head over heels for the IU job after Bowling Green but the AD (McNeeley) wouldn’t contact him. Meyer’s alma mater is Cincinnati. I wonder if he would ever consider them if Fickell moves on?

Would be shocked if UM went to Nebbie. Despite his quick NFL foray and follies, he can still name whatever college job he wants…and I doubt it’s in Lincoln, Nebraska.

He’s an absolute recruiting machine!! His last 2 stops were easy to recruit to and lots of talent was near at hand. While facilities in Lincoln are second to none, the volume of top athletes he’d be able to lure there and has been used to getting, would pale in comparison to what he had at UF and OSU. JMHO.

Would be shocked if UM went to Nebbie. Despite his quick NFL foray and follies, he can still name whatever college job he wants…and I doubt it’s in Lincoln, Nebraska.

He’s an absolute recruiting machine!! His last 2 stops were easy to recruit to and lots of talent was near at hand. While facilities in Lincoln are second to none, the volume of top athletes he’d be able to lure there and has been used to getting, would pale in comparison to what he had at UF and OSU. JMHO.
He would have no problem getting quality recruits to Lincoln.

Well……according to Dan Dakich, Urban was head over heels for the IU job after Bowling Green but the AD (McNeeley) wouldn’t contact him. Meyer’s alma mater is Cincinnati. I wonder if he would ever consider them if Fickell moves on?
Never heard he was head over heels for the IU job, only that he would’ve been interested, as any MAC coach would’ve been (John Pont, Bill Mallory, Terry Hoepner and Kevin Wilson all had deep MAC roots). Not sure what UM would want to do if the UC job opens, only that LF seems pretty content there (he rejected overtures from ND).

Spartan, yes, he will get quality recruits…Just not enough of them. Certainly not in the numbers he’s used to getting. Lincoln vs Columbus or Gainesville…apples and oranges.

This may have already been discussed, but to lose 7.5 million over a few weeks of waiting. Maybe they have a big name ready. Just speculating here.

a school wouldn't blow 7.5 mil over a few wks.

i wonder how much of that gets kicked back to someone in the administration or gov's office, via an anonymous account in the Caymans

With the problems he has had at Florida, OSU, and Jacksonville; why would any university hire him.
That was my thought. Based upon history it is Buyer Beware for any program looking to hire Him. There have been some underlying health problems and perhaps things that go beyond that. You aren't sure what He has left in the Tank. If He ends up in a situation Where he doesn't experience instant success, Who knows how long He will stay interested and involved.

That guy is not the answer at NE.. They need a younger HC with a winning pedigree at even the lower levels & overhaul the program. Urban comes in & turns you around for a couple seasons? Then what? He does not have enough in the tank to overhaul NE.

That guy is not the answer at NE.. They need a younger HC with a winning pedigree at even the lower levels & overhaul the program. Urban comes in & turns you around for a couple seasons? Then what? He does not have enough in the tank to overhaul NE.
Aranda should be their guy. Defense first but a great recruiter on both sides of the ball. He’d assemble a great staff and would do really well there.

Neb selling their soul to Satan and bringing in Meyer is a Sampson level error.

Dave Clawson is my first call.

With the problems he has had at Florida, OSU, and Jacksonville; why would any university hire him.
But somebody will. And he will get back into to coaching again. It will likely be a bigger name than we think. Some schools really want to win. I think what he did at OSU and FL was worse than Jax. He wasn’t a good fit for the NFL.

Urban wouldn't want to work that hard at Nebraska. Think you folks are right that he would like the ND job.

They must have serious candidates in mind. This train wreck has been going on for years. I don’t think Trev was a great hire since he’s never ran a football program as the AD but anyone could see this coming. Any AD has candidates list. This has been heavily vetted with the BOT.

No way Urban coaches against the Buckeyes even on a semi-regular basis. He still uses the term we when talking about them.

Clawson would actually be an under the radar and inspired hire. I
Just don’t think he’s big name
Enough for them.

Now, in a few years if IU needed a new coach, I would be all for Clawson .

i don't think there's any way they go for the head coach at wake forest.
Agreed. Alberts would be the next to go if he did that, and Clawson is a solid coach. No chance he’s high profile enough for them, though. You don’t drop $15M on a buyout to hire him.

Let's get real about this. No Coach of a current team is headed to Nebraska this week to become HC. At the end of the year , they will have to access The talent pool and find their candidate. What should They look for?
1, Take the Nebraska connection off the Board. Turner Gill? Tommy Frazier? going going Gone.
2, Who will be the best available coach with a record and History. Lance Leiopold Kansas/ Dave Aranada at Baylor? two possibilities. unless the are desperate, no coach is going to jump into a sinking boat atmid season

Let's get real about this. No Coach of a current team is headed to Nebraska this week to become HC. At the end of the year , they will have to access The talent pool and find their candidate. What should They look for?
1, Take the Nebraska connection off the Board. Turner Gill? Tommy Frazier? going going Gone.
2, Who will be the best available coach with a record and History. Lance Leiopold Kansas/ Dave Aranada at Baylor? two possibilities. unless the are desperate, no coach is going to jump into a sinking boat atmid season
They’ve already got former player (former *quarterback*, even) Mickey Joseph (WR coach) as interim HC.

Their board is full of speculation about what the future might hold if he really knocks it out of the park the remainder of the season. You know, like wins nine, ten games. See, he’s a *players’ coach* and a *great* recruiter. You can’t go wrong with making the current players happy when considering whom to hire permanently. Not even if he doesn’t have *any* head coaching experience. It could be a big win for old NU.

• Sad
Reactions: Lucy01
I wouldn’t think Stoops would leave UK and he’s also apart of the Youngstown gang. They are very loyal and what Neb did to Bo Pelini probably doesn’t sit well with them.
Bo was not liked by many Husker fans at all. Most were more than happy to see him go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT