ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA falls at home to the mightier Bruins of Belmont.

Isn't IU competing them with for a recruit or two? :D

usa_today_10543180.0.jpg

I don't live here. I occasionally drop by to see whether you guys are behaving.
Unfortunately, you guys are still thinking "if he is one of us, he can't be good!"
But then, no need to worry; Alford is not coming home!

I don't live here. I occasionally drop by to see whether you guys are behaving.
Unfortunately, you guys are still thinking "if he is one of us, he can't be good!"
But then, no need to worry; Alford is not coming home!

Being 'one of us' doesn't mean that you are automatically good.

There's a real possibility he's going to be pushed out by two division one programs and considered a failure (actually mocked and hated by those programs).

If I was Trump I would tweet I prefer my coaching candidates to have not been fired....twice.

Reactions: IUgradman
Never happen. No former Hoosier would be so desperate to sink so low. And to go from Rodeo Drive to W. Laffy Blvd?! Yeah right.
I was being halfway sarcastic,but I wouldn't be surprised if he considered an offer. He won't end up at Duke or UNC. Lower tier programs would show interest.

Better Coach Alford or Crean...?
It's tough for me, Crean has been to a Final 4, and Alford has not
Alford seems to be a little more steady year to year from a Wins Losses standpoint
Alford might be a better Recruiter, I don't see him signing Jeremiah April or Tim Priller at UCLA.

Yet they're both been grossly overpaid by major Universities and been involved in drama.

Gun to head I'll take Alford, but it's close

Tom Crean
3 Conference Champs (2 Big 10, 1 Big East)
4 Sweet 16's
1 Final Four

Steve Alford
4 Conference Champs (MWC)
4 Sweet 16's
0 Final Four

Based on these results, I would say Crean has done slightly better on the bigger stage that Alford. I think most people not from Indiana would say Crean has done better. He is certainly loved by his players if not the people of Indiana. Not sure why Steve is disliked by Hoosiers. Most former players are always welcomed back. Steve was really good at Manchester and SW Missouri.

I’ve never understood the visceral hatred of Alford by so many on here. Which is not to say that I would want him as a coach, but I would never publicly disrespect and denounce him like many of the alleged “fans” constantly do on these boards.

I’ve never understood the visceral hatred of Alford by so many on here. Which is not to say that I would want him as a coach, but I would never publicly disrespect and denounce him like many of the alleged “fans” constantly do on these boards.

It has to do with his questionable roster decisions at Iowa.

Reactions: IUgradman
So why did you ask the question, and then play dumb?

I guess because it’s not relevant to me. As an IU fan I initially had a grudge over Recker and the fact that he took the Iowa job to begin with. Got over it. So you believe that people on here slam him all the time because of the Pierre Pierce thing? I don’t buy it.

I’ve never understood the visceral hatred of Alford by so many on here. Which is not to say that I would want him as a coach, but I would never publicly disrespect and denounce him like many of the alleged “fans” constantly do on these boards.[/QUOTE
Belmont is a good team. UCLA has to much talent they will rebound from it's defeat...

I guess because it’s not relevant to me. As an IU fan I initially had a grudge over Recker and the fact that he took the Iowa job to begin with. Got over it. So you believe that people on here slam him all the time because of the Pierre Pierce thing? I don’t buy it.
Yes, that was one blemish on Alford that our holier-than-thou fans can never forgive. Yes, that was a mistake. He recognized it. However, I assume he learned from it since I don't recall him making such mistakes since.

Yes, that was one blemish on Alford that our holier-than-thou fans can never forgive. Yes, that was a mistake. He recognized it. However, I assume he learned from it since I don't recall him making such mistakes since.

Well it was quite the mistake, especially from a leader of a program. Instead of saying no comment, or even saying I believe PP is a good kid...he publicly said he believed he was innocent, which infers that the victim is not honest.

Which turned the Iowa basketball world against the victim.

So he was either incredibly manipulative or just incredibly stupid. Take your pick.

He wasn't innocent by the way and Steve's reputation took a gigantic black mark.

Regardless of that self inflicted mess, he's just not the coach that so many are trying to make him out to be.

You really want to know why Steve gets harshed on by so called 'twits'? It's because of his very loud, venomous, hypocritical fanboys over the past 20 some years.

Which is strange because even Knight had is issues with Alford and is much more of a Crews guy (who doesn't like Alford from their days in the MVC).

Alford fanboys are dwindling thank goodness.

While I'm being a twit, here's a good Alford burn for you from a disgruntled UCLA fan after their loss this weekend.

'The only thing Alford knows how to defend are rapists'.

Yeah, Pierce is not going to go away for him.

Last edited:
Well it was quite the mistake, especially from a leader of a program. Instead of saying no comment, or even saying I believe PP is a good kid...he publicly said he believed he was innocent, which infers that the victim is not honest.

Which turned the Iowa basketball world against the victim.

So he was either incredibly manipulative or just incredibly stupid. Take your pick.

He wasn't innocent by the way and Steve's reputation took a gigantic black mark.

Regardless of that self inflicted mess, he's just not the coach that so many are trying to make him out to be.

You really want to know why Steve gets harshed on by so called 'twits'? It's because of his very loud, venomous, hypocritical fanboys over the past 20 some years.

Which is strange because even Knight had is issues with Alford and is much more of a Crews guy (who doesn't like Alford from their days in the MVC).

Alford fanboys are dwindling thank goodness.

While I'm being a twit, here's a good Alford burn for you from a disgruntled UCLA fan after their loss this weekend.

'The only thing Alford knows how to defend are rapists'.

Yeah, Pierce is not going to go away for him.
Everybody makes mistakes, perhaps except you.
That was one mistake, terrible one I might say, he made in his early coaching career. And it happened 16 years ago and once, for God's sake! He is not running for a sainthood. How sanctimonious can you get? Did you trash Bob Knight when he was winning at IU?

Last edited:
That was one mistake, terrible one I might say, he made in his early coaching career. And it happened 16 years ago and once, for God's sake! He is not running for a sainthood. How sanctimonious can you get? Did you trash Bob Knight when he was winning at IU?

I think we know the answer to that. Of course they trashed RMK. They were probably part of the crowd who reveled in it...

I don't have a problem with Alford and I absolutely appreciate his greatness as an IU player. I don't wish him ill or revel in any of his failings. I will say that taking Luke Recker as a transfer was a slap in the face to his alma mater and mentor and a poor reflection. As for the Pierce situation, it was a blemish on him for sure but he's not the first coach to make a mistake in trusting a player who didn't deserve the trust. I know from people who are close to him that he deeply regrets how he handled that.

All that said, I've never thought he was much of a coach and I'm glad IU didn't hire him. We got much better in Archie. Alford's teams have never risen above their level of talent.

I also have to question his judgement a little for allowing LaVar Ball to get anywhere near his program. No player, no matter how good, can be worth having to deal with that knucklehead.

Alford has already reached his peak at UCLA and is declining.

Last edited:
Tom Crean
3 Conference Champs (2 Big 10, 1 Big East)
That wasn't the Big East. They were still in the American. A nit, but still worth mentioning.

I think they're the about the same level of coach, just get the same results in a different way.

Of course I've made a ton of dumbass mistakes. There's a videotape out there somewhere of me being an obnoxious drunken idiot at a college party around 1993 that most likely squashed any hopes of going into politics.

Most dumbass mistakes come with contrition, most times immediately after the mistake was made. Those are easier to forgive.

Manipulative/scheming/tactical mistakes typically don't have real contrition. They're only sorry that they got busted.

Like I mentioned the PP deal either was Steve being a total dumbass or Steve was manipulating his power.

They are two massively distinct points of view.

Had Alford recanted or showed any sympathy for what he did to the victim with his 'I believe he is innocent' statement then yeah, it rolls off that he just used a very poor choice of words but realized that he f#$ked up and all is forgiven eventually most likely for the most part.

But he didn't. He actually later said that relationships are complicated. Jesus.

Then he either did or didn't try to organize a frikken prayer meeting between PP and the victim which was an unfathomably bad idea...one that pissed the victim off so much that she went full scorched Earth mode and blew the case open.

Because everyone knows that the best person for a rape victim to talk to, who can relate to them, is an intensely religious, conservative male.

Anyway, many feel that his actions and lack of contrition/his hope that it 'just goes away' puts his 'mistake' as simply one of a miss calculation that he's sorry didn't work out in his favor.

Regardless of all of that baggage....he simply doesn't have to successful coaching resume. That's always been my issue with him. I actually agree with Jim Crews after Alford got the Iowa job. Crews was like 'I and many others beat his ass consistently in this conference, but he gets the promotion'?

Trust me, if he was our Roy Williams, actually if we had a Roy Williams from the Knight tree I'd have been championing it. That was one reason why I thought Stevens was the perfect coach. He understood the Indiana/Knight way but showed tremendous coaching success and acumen.

I'm hoping Archie can help bridge the gap for all of our past players from the McCrackenites through the Creanies.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT