ADVERTISEMENT

Tuttle and Bazelak quarterback battle

Totally agree. Loved Penix but he was already injury prone then. I’m sure the coaches hoped to keep both of them, but both wanted to play. Easy to understand how Ramsey left, especially in the grad transfer environment that governed things then.
If I were Allen, I would have said we had QB1A and QB1B. We will start whoever we think will play better against a certain opponent, but both could play at any time.

Ramsey still may have transferred, but at least he would be given equal time with the #1 unit and could have (would have, we now know) started or played every game.

We saw the results of what would have been your decision.

Do you ask the flashiest girl to the prom - the one who is smokin' hot but known to dump her dates at the last minute, or do you ask the hot, reliable one who has stood with your in good times and bad?

Let's not act like Ramsey was chopped liver - he led Northwestern to a B1G Divisional championship.
Peyton would have been QB1 at no less than 7 BIG programs, but he was well shy of MP. PR was given the chance to win the role but absent injury, it was not gonna happen.

I still can't get my head around your opinion that MP should be benched despite being the better player because he might get hurt. Makes no sense to me.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Peyton would have been QB1 at no less than 7 BIG programs, but he was well shy of MP. PR was given the chance to win the role but absent injury, it was not gonna happen.

I still can't get my head around your opinion that MP should be benched despite being the better player because he might get hurt. Makes no sense to me.
I've explained it and have been proved right. I understand the discussion before the 2021 season. I don't understand why you cling to your argument now, when it was clear to most that Penix would not last even the early part of the season.

Reactions: BayernFan
I've explained it and have been proved right. I understand the discussion before the 2021 season. I don't understand why you cling to your argument now, when it was clear to most that Penix would not last even the early part of the season.
You were (proven) right only because he went down. Had he not gone down you would have been (proven) wrong. You can't look back now and claim you are right simply because he got hurt.

You were (proven) right only because he went down. Had he not gone down you would have been (proven) wrong. You can't look back now and claim you are right simply because he got hurt.
Well, when Penix did play vs Iowa, he didn't look good. At all. PR could have come in then, so you can't say I would have been proven wrong.

Thing is, many of us PREDICTED he would go down. And we were right. So, you can say "ya but...." as much as you want, but it was predicted and it came through. And, frankly, it wasn't a stretch at all. We didn't have to be Nostradamus to figure it out.

Ordinarily that would be true but..., based on recent history..., if it's possible, I'd want three or even four ready to play next Fall...
One approach he might be able to utilize is to have a few specific play packages for each backup just to get them out there occasionally..., and keeping them focused knowing that there was real possibility that they'd see live snaps on Game Day... Couldn't do it every game but if the snaps appear to be available (during the game) I'd love to Bell attempt to do it...
If I were Bell...
For some reason, quarterbacks are deemed “unPlatoon(able)”. I didn’t think Pendix was ready either, and obviously underperformed in the Iowa game. Why not have at least a pre-programmed set of plays for at least one quarterback. Even if that turns out to be a “wildcat” offense. The New Orleans Saints even did that for Drew Brees.
although it reduces the time for the number one quarterback with the number one offenses, it also requires the opposing Defense to prepare for a second quarterback. Even if your second quarterback isn’t the wildcat quarterback, He can offer a buffer and a period of adjustment if the number one goes down with an injury.
IMO, they ignored The “collective injury“ effect of his previous years. I’m obviously using the retrospective-scope, but I petitioned (don’t the coaches read All of our posts) taking Penix slowly in 2021.

Last edited:
Well, when Penix did play vs Iowa, he didn't look good. At all. PR could have come in then, so you can't say I would have been proven wrong.

Thing is, many of us PREDICTED he would go down. And we were right. So, you can say "ya but...." as much as you want, but it was predicted and it came through. And, frankly, it wasn't a stretch at all. We didn't have to be Nostradamus to figure it out.
MP was obviously shakey and the coaches felt it best to let him play through it and get his confidence back. PR could have come in?

It is going to bittersweet to me if Penix were to start and finish an entire season, as a starter, and have the type of success at Washington we all wanted for him here at IU.

It is going to bittersweet to me if Penix were to start and finish an entire season, as a starter, and have the type of success at Washington we all wanted for him here at IU.
He's got a pro arm... Mainly he has a pro release...

If they're smart enough to simply have him out there as a pure dropback QB and have throw it away instead of trying to run it or hang in there and force it, he might just have a pretty good season..., that's if he's actually recovered fully from his last shoulder injury...

Not sure that'll happen though, his 2nd serious injury (AC joint) came when his new coach had him run it down at the goal line against M$U...

I wish him well but it seems he made the best choice for all concerned...

If they're smart enough to simply have him out there as a pure dropback QB and have throw it away instead of trying to run it or hang in there and force it, he might just have a pretty good season..., that's if he's actually recovered fully from his last shoulder injury...

Not sure that'll happen though, his 2nd serious injury (AC joint) came when his new coach had him run it down at the goal line against M$U...

He was never a pro preparer. He wasn’t really a good college preparer, either. That was a problem.

He did great under DeBoer, hence the reason he went there. He knows DeBoer's offense and coach DeBoer. I agree with 76-1 on Penix having an NFL arm and release along with poise in the pocket.

Reactions: IU73 and 76-1

can't imagine any coach being any more loyal to MP than CTA.

obviously that loyalty was a one way thing.

Because a player that is 8/10 that can play in 13 games is more valuable than a player that is 10/10 that will only pay in 3-4 of your games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT