ADVERTISEMENT

Turn a statute that prohibits discrimination into one that requires it

NPT

Aug 28, 2001
In the article linked below the court struck a blow against CFPB's overreach. My question is can Townstone Financial sue CFPB for damages and have any chance of ever collecting anything? Or since it's a government agency is it useless to sue?

I come into contact with the CFPB on occasion (in a roundabout way) and while they are a favorite punching bag of the right (and deseverdly so at times, as this case illustrates), you can ask Wells Fargo about how running scams on your own customers can lead to the CFPB relieving you of billions of dollars.

Or CAC, Santander, etc. etc. etc.

It's generally one of the best consumer advocates the federal government has, minus lawyers suing the shit out of these banks of course.

It's generally one of the best consumer advocates the federal government has, minus lawyers suing the shit out of these banks of course.

I'm not sure I'm going to take an opinion piece from "an attorney at Pacific Legal Foundation, a nonprofit legal organization that defends Americans’ liberties when threatened by government overreach and abuse" at face value. It's hard for me to believe we're getting the whole story here.

And even if we are, it sounds like the system worked, that the courts stepped in early and smacked this down. If the CFPB actually did act this egregiously, what I want to know is whether or not any of the higher ups took steps to prevent something like this from happening again.

Reactions: larsIU
And even if we are, it sounds like the system worked, that the courts stepped in early and smacked this down.
Sounded almost like a summary judgment or something similar. Our institutions remain unimpressed with unimpressive legal claims.

Reactions: UncleMark
I'm not sure I'm going to take an opinion piece from "an attorney at Pacific Legal Foundation, a nonprofit legal organization that defends Americans’ liberties when threatened by government overreach and abuse" at face value. It's hard for me to believe we're getting the whole story here.

And even if we are, it sounds like the system worked, that the courts stepped in early and smacked this down. If the CFPB actually did act this egregiously, what I want to know is whether or not any of the higher ups took steps to prevent something like this from happening again.
The whole point is that as a citizen neither you or I or anyone else should have to fight any government agency that is overreaching their authority. I would guess it's just a few people that started the whole thing. It just bugs me when we have agencies that you give authority to do X and all of a sudden the power goes to their head and they start twisting the words in their assignment to start doing Y and Z.

The whole point is that as a citizen neither you or I or anyone else should have to fight any government agency that is overreaching their authority. I would guess it's just a few people that started the whole thing. It just bugs me when we have agencies that you give authority to do X and all of a sudden the power goes to their head and they start twisting the words in their assignment to start doing Y and Z.

I don't disagree. It's actually no different than having to bankrupt yourself to defend against a bogus criminal charge.

"I'm not sure I'm going to take an opinion piece from "an attorney at Pacific Legal Foundation, a nonprofit legal organization that defends Americans’ liberties when threatened by government overreach and abuse" at face value. It's hard for me to believe we're getting the whole story here."

I knew that name sounded familiar so I went back and checked. It was this PLF outfit,which is essentially a very political right wing group masquerading as a non-profit that tried to bypass the issue of standing in a failed attempt to halt the student debt forgiveness, which I believe went nowhere...

So basically a well off attorney who was getting his loan payments deferred because he works for a "non-profit" decided that the same privilege extended to others far less well off somehow "injured" him? Seems a blatant example of privilege where this PLF pretends to be apolitical, and various people profit by working for them and having their debt cancelled.

But in typical right wing fashion, they are unwilling to allow people in far worse financial straights the same benefit, and in fact sued to keep others from being included. My feeling is that if they were in fact sacrificing to help society, like Peace Corps or various medical programs to help the poor, then I could see wanting to keep that as an exclusive benefit of making that type of sacrifice...

I'm not even that upset that they get the "non-profit" loophole, except that they then try to use their gaming of the system to exclude others who legitimately need the financial relief. Luckily it seems the judge saw thru that ploy, although the mantle has been taken up by various Red state officials who have sued to stop the program...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT