ADVERTISEMENT

Trying to solve FT woes

the guys who can't shoot ffs at all, i'd make them shoot 2000 Wilt/Rick Barry style, chart their last 100, and see how that goes.

the guys who can't shoot ffs at all, i'd make them shoot 2000 Wilt/Rick Barry style, chart their last 100, and see how that goes.

Kids today aren't going to shoot FT's granny style; just isn't going to happen. Would be cool if bad FT shooters took it on their own to try it, but rep and the risk of embarrassment is just too high with kids today to think that they'd try that. I doubt Wilt did that in college and I think he even tried different methods as a pro, but I wonder if Barry shot that way in college? I think it was a more common practice back then anyway. It does put a great backspin on the ball and helps it land softly and give favorable bounces. I'll still mess around with it when shooting FTs for fun and I'd say I'm much more consistent that way, although when practiced, I shoot better overhand.

PS, for those who question if they are working on FTs in practice it confirms they do, everyday.

Kids today aren't going to shoot FT's granny style; just isn't going to happen. Would be cool if bad FT shooters took it on their own to try it, but rep and the risk of embarrassment is just too high with kids today to think that they'd try that. I doubt Wilt did that in college and I think he even tried different methods as a pro, but I wonder if Barry shot that way in college? I think it was a more common practice back then anyway. It does put a great backspin on the ball and helps it land softly and give favorable bounces. I'll still mess around with it when shooting FTs for fun and I'd say I'm much more consistent that way, although when practiced, I shoot better overhand.

PS, for those who question if they are working on FTs in practice it confirms they do, everyday.
Barry shot free throws that way his entire life, as did his son at Florida.

Reactions: kkott
Rick Barry led the NBA in FT % shooting it underhand with great touch and backspin. I would laugh at a missed brick of a horrible FT rather than a Rick Barry style made FT. The goal is for the ball to go through the hoop any way you can. Who cares what it looks like if it goes in? Actually Rick Barry style underhand two handed FT may technically be the best fundamental FT shot mechanically with good touch, perfect arch, and perfect backspin. At some point I expect someone to try the Rick Barry style FT and be very successful at it. Once the uncool factor from his peers is broken through, then it could become an alternate FT shot for those who can't consistently mske a jumpshot form FT.

Last edited:

I always thought Shaq should have shot his underhanded because his hands were too big to get a good rotation on the ball. Just imagine how many points he would have averaged if he shot around 75%?

I missed. Hand slap everybody.... stupid. Make the dang shot. You're unguarded.

When the off season starts you tell the guys they are welcomed back to practice until a coach or manager watches them hit 90-100 free throws. One chance per day starting in August.

This will likely be the worst shooting IU Team under Archie. Next year you will see great improvement

Rick Barry led the NBA in FT % shooting it underhand with great touch and backspin. I would laugh at a missed brick of a horrible FT rather than a Rick Barry style made FT. The goal is for the ball to go through the hoop any way you can. Who cares what it looks like if it goes in? Actually Rick Barry style underhand two handed FT may technically be the best fundamental FT shot mechanically with good touch, perfect arch, and perfect backspin. At some point I expect someone to try the Rick Barry style FT and be very successful at it. Once the uncool factor from his peers is broken through, then it could become an alternate FT shot for those who can't consistently mske a jumpshot form FT.

You would and I would, but today's kids won't do it imo. Google Shaq shooting underhanded. Barry came to him and offered to help teach him to shoot underhanded to improve his FT shooting. He told Rick he'd rather shoot 0%.... too cool to shoot underhanded!

Reactions: snowling
His son shot 84% last year at Florida. People made fun of him, but he made them. Barry averaged 93% his last three years in NBA.

The Underhand FT shot may be the best technique to make a high percentage of FT. I think it would look cool making shot after shot. 93% makes you look like a machine. I never thought Rick Barry was uncool leading the NBA in FT Shooting every year. For example you get fouled with no time left on the clock, and down 1 point. You step to the line as a 93% underhand FT Shooter and the other team is leaving the floor because they know you are automatic at the line. You go to the free throw line and calmly make 2 underhanded FT. Game over. Students rush the court. Not too uncool now to make game winning FT shot! Just make the dang shot, using whatever technique works best for you!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT