ADVERTISEMENT

Trump on Khoshoggi - maybe MBS did it, maybe he didn’t

Cortez88

All-Big Ten
Jan 7, 2017
This is disgraceful. It further highlights several of the most harmful products of the Trump administration:

1. Distrust of US intelligence community.
2. Disdain for the press.
3. Personal financial ties with Saudi Arabia that have not been disclosed.
4. Putting personal benefit above country.
5. Admiration for strongmen.

The CIA report states that MBS ordered the torture and murder of an American resident in the processing of applying for citizenship and journalist and the POTUS sides with Saudis. Shameful.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...esident-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

Last edited:
This is disgraceful. It further highlights several of the most harmful products of the Trump administration:

The CIA reports states that MBS ordered the torture and murder of an American citizen and journalist and the POTUS sides with Saudis. Shameful.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...esident-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

I sincerely hope that the FBI and CIA are covertly investigating Pompeo, Trump, Kushner et al.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
The articles below reflect the common idea that Saudi Arabia is a major purchaser of arms and influence. As a consequence politician in the United States are unwilling to alienate this key "ally/customer". Call that a "realist" perspective on foreign policy.

It certainly seems that politicians from both parties have recognized the value of the Saudis and resisted alienating them.

Maybe CoH would say that this is a great example of "rent seeking" at work. The Saudis spend hundreds of billions on stupid and unnecessary crap in order to purchase influence in the United States. The beneficiaries then lobby Washington to protect the Saudi regime. As a result, the royal family is allowed to completely harvest almost all the vast oil wealth for its own purposes to the detriment of both its own citizens and the broader world.

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/18/17990546/trump-jamal-khashoggi-saudi-arabia-history-murder

http://time.com/5428669/saudi-arabia-military-relationship/

Reactions: Bill4411

The CIA report states that MBS ordered the torture and murder of an American resident in the processing of applying for citizenship and journalist and the POTUS sides with Saudis. Shameful.

The customer is always right?

This behaviour has been so normalised now -- the outrage has been quite muted. Imagine if Obama had done this...

I guess Trump recognizes that the killing of Khoshoggi was in the Saudi's backyard ( Yes you say Turkey is several hundred miles from Saudi Arabia-but good enough in Trump world). I believe this is how Trump's family attorney, Roy Cohn would have probably tried to resolve this matter too if the Trump's would have had a conflict with another one of his client's-say the Genovese family. As Tony Soprano would say, "What are you gonna do" to keep the peace.

Most of our old allies are relationships based on a core set of values. Say what one will about Canada, Britain, France, Germany, Japan, et al, we have a whole lot in common.

Trump does not seem to like that, he seems to like these transactional relationships. Saud wants to buy military equipment, he wants to sell it. Trump seems far more comfortable with this sort of relationship.

I do not know if Trump has a moral compass to really tell him how wrong a murder like this is.

Most of our old allies are relationships based on a core set of values. Say what one will about Canada, Britain, France, Germany, Japan, et al, we have a whole lot in common.

Trump does not seem to like that, he seems to like these transactional relationships. Saud wants to buy military equipment, he wants to sell it. Trump seems far more comfortable with this sort of relationship.

I do not know if Trump has a moral compass to really tell him how wrong a murder like this is.

American Presidency for sale.

To the contrary, do you think Trump relishes murders of dissidents?

In the sense that if Pompeo did orchestrate the cover up it is no big deal or in the sense that Pompeo wouldn’t have helped the Saudi orchestrate the coverup?
I think the latter is highly highly unlikely.

I think the latter is highly highly unlikely.
Then aloha must mean it is no big deal if Pompeo did help orchestrate the coverup. A bigger concern is whether state was aware of the plot and didn’t warn Kashoggi. Or worse green lighted the murder.

Then aloha must mean it is no big deal if Pompeo did help orchestrate the coverup. A bigger concern is whether state was aware of the plot and didn’t warn Kashoggi. Or worse green lighted the murder.
That clearly not what Aloha is saying.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Didn't take long with Trump rationalising his decision/statements to defend MBS:

But as usual, it wasn't long before facts got into the way:

Edit:

Thank you, President Trump, for the sun rising this morning!!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
Commentary: Murder, he okayed

http://thestatehousefile.com/commentary-murder-okayed/37169/
(behind paywall, use Incognito mode)

By John KrullTheStatehouseFile.com
INDIANAPOLIS –

Apparently, it’s possible in Donald Trump’s America to buy the right to murder someone.

Everything is for sale.
Our national honor.
Our moral authority.
Our most sacred principles.
[...]
“After my heavily negotiated trip to Saudi Arabia last year, the Kingdom agreed to spend and invest $450 billion in the United States. This is a record amount of money,” the president’s statement continued. “It will create hundreds of thousands of jobs, tremendous economic development, and much additional wealth for the United States. Of the $450 billion, $110 billion will be spent on the purchase of military equipment from Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon and many other great U.S. defense contractors.”

There you have it.

So long as those big corporations continue making millions of dollars, everything is all right.

The fact that the Saudi royal family lured Khashoggi – a Virginia resident who went to college here in Indiana – to the consulate in Turkey under false pretenses, tortured him, strangled him to death, dismembered him to conceal the crime and then told lies about it with just about every breath isn’t that big a deal.

Just another cost of doing business.
[...]
The president did acknowledge that there are members of Congress who do not agree with him and think that murder is something the United States neither should ignore nor condone.

But he said those members of Congress disagreed for “political reasons.”

This is a curious admission.

Up until now, opposition to murder was a matter of bipartisan agreement.

Republicans and Democrats both agreed human beings shouldn’t be slaughtered in cold blood.

That was in an earlier era, though – before we were willing to trade our values on a cash-and-carry basis.
[...]
Donald Trump long has provided evidence that he is a man without a moral compass, one who thinks of life only in terms of winning and losing, not right and wrong. That’s why all of his relationships and all of his commitments are transactional. Wives, friends, allies and business partners all are disposable and easily dispensed with once they no longer prove useful or sources of revenue.

He genuinely doesn’t believe everyone has unalienable rights.

That all human beings have worth.

That’s who Donald Trump is.

The question that remains is who we are.​

How come nobody cares about Mexican journalists? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_journalists_and_media_workers_killed_in_Mexico

Commentary: Murder, he okayed

http://thestatehousefile.com/commentary-murder-okayed/37169/
(behind paywall, use Incognito mode)

By John KrullTheStatehouseFile.com
INDIANAPOLIS –

Apparently, it’s possible in Donald Trump’s America to buy the right to murder someone.

Everything is for sale.
Our national honor.
Our moral authority.
Our most sacred principles.
[...]
“After my heavily negotiated trip to Saudi Arabia last year, the Kingdom agreed to spend and invest $450 billion in the United States. This is a record amount of money,” the president’s statement continued. “It will create hundreds of thousands of jobs, tremendous economic development, and much additional wealth for the United States. Of the $450 billion, $110 billion will be spent on the purchase of military equipment from Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon and many other great U.S. defense contractors.”

There you have it.

So long as those big corporations continue making millions of dollars, everything is all right.

The fact that the Saudi royal family lured Khashoggi – a Virginia resident who went to college here in Indiana – to the consulate in Turkey under false pretenses, tortured him, strangled him to death, dismembered him to conceal the crime and then told lies about it with just about every breath isn’t that big a deal.

Just another cost of doing business.
[...]
The president did acknowledge that there are members of Congress who do not agree with him and think that murder is something the United States neither should ignore nor condone.

But he said those members of Congress disagreed for “political reasons.”

This is a curious admission.

Up until now, opposition to murder was a matter of bipartisan agreement.

Republicans and Democrats both agreed human beings shouldn’t be slaughtered in cold blood.

That was in an earlier era, though – before we were willing to trade our values on a cash-and-carry basis.
[...]
Donald Trump long has provided evidence that he is a man without a moral compass, one who thinks of life only in terms of winning and losing, not right and wrong. That’s why all of his relationships and all of his commitments are transactional. Wives, friends, allies and business partners all are disposable and easily dispensed with once they no longer prove useful or sources of revenue.

He genuinely doesn’t believe everyone has unalienable rights.

That all human beings have worth.

That’s who Donald Trump is.

The question that remains is who we are.​

The sad thing is that damage has already been done. After Trump leaves office naturally or in disgrace, the rest of the world will never see the US the same again.

If the preceding presidents talk about human rights or illegal acts, the natural response would be 'you were ok with killing for a price or extreme right-wing or racist rhetoric before.'
They won't remember or point to Trump but to the country itself. Not only did they vote him in but also he represented the values of the country.
Now, that has been broken -- and in the future, positions taking the moral high-ground vis a vis other nations, groups or issues will only be seen as hypocritical or very short memory or delusional.
The US has lost its moral authority.

I'm sure lots of people care about them. What's that got to do with anything?
Would we cut off ties with Mexico because their journalists got killed if we found out that someone in the government was involved? I see this situation with Khoshoggi as strange because of the reaction of our media. The President is getting slammed for keeping our ties with Saudi Arabia because this man was killed? Now, believe me I don't want anyone to die. But we have to remember that Saudi Arabia might be a bunch of mean thugs but they have some of the same goals we have. If we cut off ties with them then this would create a bigger mess. I'm not saying Khoshoggi's life is meaningless. What I am saying is he is not so important that we would destabilize the middle east over him.

Would we cut off ties with Mexico because their journalists got killed if we found out that someone in the government was involved? I see this situation with Khoshoggi as strange because of the reaction of our media. The President is getting slammed for keeping our ties with Saudi Arabia because this man was killed? Now, believe me I don't want anyone to die. But we have to remember that Saudi Arabia might be a bunch of mean thugs but they have some of the same goals we have. If we cut off ties with them then this would create a bigger mess. I'm not saying Khoshoggi's life is meaningless. What I am saying is he is not so important that we would destabilize the middle east over him.
Very Christian of you.

The sad thing is that damage has already been done. After Trump leaves office naturally or in disgrace, the rest of the world will never see the US the same again.

If the preceding presidents talk about human rights or illegal acts, the natural response would be 'you were ok with killing for a price or extreme right-wing or racist rhetoric before.'
They won't remember or point to Trump but to the country itself. Not only did they vote him in but also he represented the values of the country.
Now, that has been broken -- and in the future, positions taking the moral high-ground vis a vis other nations, groups or issues will only be seen as hypocritical or very short memory or delusional.
You don't really care about this journalist you want to use him to get Trump. Be honest about it.

Reactions: herrli
What you’re saying is we don’t care that the leader of Saudi Arabia green lit this murder, that Trump possibly knew and could have warned him. And why didn’t he? He’s not worried about destabilizing the area, he’s worried about the Saudi money for himself, personally. Isn’t that clear?

Reactions: sglowrider

I tend to think that happened after the mess at abu gahrib (spelling?) was exposed.

We literally tortured people- and then we released legal memos that ok’d it. In some ways that was even worse. We got caught- and then we acted like it was OK.

During the same time, we also held people indefinitely at Guantanamo Bay (some of which didn’t do a damn thing) and operated numerous “black sites”.

To a lesser degree, we lost something before the W era atrocities and the recent rash of madness. I’d argue that we started to go down this road during and after the Vietnam era. Many here have pointed that out in a really good thread a day or two ago. Some of the stuff we did to civilians in that war was inexcusable. Yes, it’s war, so it’s a little different. But, I’d argue that it started there, and the W era just amped it up. And Trump completely took it off the rails- if we were ever on the rails at that point.

In short, I’d say we were far from pure after Vietnam, and the W era.

However, it’s pretty clear that those things happened in the background, and had to be brought to light. And, even though it may have taken a little time, there was a degree of repentance.

With this president, any facade of at least pretending to uphold certain morals/ideals is completely gone. Everything is transactional, and $$$ ruled everything- even if the $$$ claimed to be involved isn’t even a real amount.

I truly hope that the country rights itself and elects Trump’s opponent in a landslide. He barely won the first time , but it would send a huge message to everyone that we came to our senses if that happened. That’s really the only hope we have of salvaging what we think we can be (not what we’ve actually been, or could realistically be).

We did it after Vietnam by electing Carter. And we did it after W by electing Obama.

I am an optimist- I think that Trump’s defeat in 2020 will happen. Largely because it kind of already did in the mid terms recently. And because either the house committees or Mueller’s team is going to expose some really heinous chit. Which will make him act even more ridiculous. Side note- It’s amazing what we’ve overlooked to this point.

At that point, I see even some of his “base” turning against him. And like watergate, it’s going to be really hard to continue to support someone that is so compromised.

So, to your point, we’ve lost something. But we didn’t have as much to lose as we think we did.

Reactions: sglowrider
Are you really a preacher?
It seems you are more concerned about money than human lives. :(
I'd like to know what denomination he shills for. Are they aware he can try to rationalize murder. Do they? Is the organization comprised the morally relativistic, or just vpm. Is he their dim bulb or just one of a bunch of forty watters?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT