ADVERTISEMENT

Trump ends stimulus legislation talks, Powell says significant risks to economy without stimulus . . .

That argument is one of the dumbest arguments ever. Neither red nor blue states pay one dime to the feds in taxes but all states have their hand out.

Trump probably has you in his spin room next week 10 of the 12 states most dependent on Fed money are red, 1 is purple. Kentucky is #2. I suspect for much more than a generation Kentucky has brought in more than they pay out. Why have they been unable to invest that largesse in such a way to allow them to start paying out? Same for Mississippi? The feds hand them all this money (or their people, both are ranked in a table), what does the nation have for all that investment?

Reactions: brianiu
Trump probably has you in his spin room next week 10 of the 12 states most dependent on Fed money are red, 1 is purple. Kentucky is #2. I suspect for much more than a generation Kentucky has brought in more than they pay out. Why have they been unable to invest that largesse in such a way to allow them to start paying out? Same for Mississippi? The feds hand them all this money (or their people, both are ranked in a table), what does the nation have for all that investment?

Facts are a dumb argument.

• Haha
Reactions: hoosboot
The bill should be a non-starter.
By advancing this package, Democrats are prioritizing bailouts for mismanaged state budgets plagued by underfunded pension plans, subsidies to give unemployed workers a raise and disincentivize work, an expansion of Obamacare, real estate tax breaks for millionaires and billionaires, marijuana businesses over small businesses, and free passes for illegal aliens.
It's irresponsible

Tax windfalls for the wealthy? Like what would emerge from ending the ACA?

"A ruling on the ACA’s “individual mandate” provision, and potentially the entire law, is expected in the spring of 2021.

And beyond forcing millions of Americans off their health insurance, a repeal of the ACA would bring a major tax cut for the richest Americans. According to research from the Tax Policy Center (TPC), the top 0.1% would receive a tax cut of $198,250 per year while the top 1% of Americans would see a tax cut of $32,370. (The Center for American Progress (CAP) came to a similar conclusion, citing the TPC data.)

“We knew that repealing ACA would be a windfall for the wealthy,” Seth Hanlon, a senior fellow at CAP, told Yahoo Finance. “But the magnitude of the tax cut for the top 0.1% — people making $3.8 million and upwards — is still stunning.”

He's locked in the residence, no one will meet with him, he's amped up on roids, and he's got a phone and a Twitter account. Heaven help us all.

It’s being reported now that the Administration has suddenly backed off of challenging the FDA’s guidelines for approving a vaccine in time for a pre-election announcement. I think he may have actually packed it in. Especially after reading COH’s long, nuanced post about this being something other than a desperate political stunt.

It’s being reported now that the Administration has suddenly backed off of challenging the FDA’s guidelines for approving a vaccine in time for a pre-election announcement. I think he may have actually packed it in. Especially after reading COH’s long, nuanced post about this being something other than a desperate political stunt.
You mean Trump doesn't have COH on Ignore like the rest of us?

Democrats are also using this crisis to continue their assault on law enforcement. The bill removes $600 million in COPS grants that Democrats had included in March before they embraced the radical Left's call to defund police departments. Instead, they prioritized funds for the National Endowment of the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities, which will do nothing for safety and security.
i'm always behind the cops and ample funding for same, but i'll never criticize funding for the arts. art and music are our soul. i suspect a dearth of both and an increase in social media has only made us worse off

Trump's gambit regarding the stimulus bill is an interesting one. He's correct to object to a federal bailout of states. Most states are facing smaller coronavirus-related budget holes than previously expected, and every state should be responsible for its own fiscal condition. It doesn't make sense for the deeply indebted federal government to take on any additional borrowing to help states.
His announcement does not seem to be motivated by a desire for fiscal restraint. Promising a major stimulus after the election while arguing that "the economy is doing very well" seems a bit off.

Reactions: hoosboot
Trump's gambit regarding the stimulus bill is an interesting one. He's correct to object to a federal bailout of states. Most states are facing smaller coronavirus-related budget holes than previously expected, and every state should be responsible for its own fiscal condition. It doesn't make sense for the deeply indebted federal government to take on any additional borrowing to help states.
His announcement does not seem to be motivated by a desire for fiscal restraint. Promising a major stimulus after the election while arguing that "the economy is doing very well" seems a bit off.

Yeah...I can get behind not having a fiscal stimulus if it's the right decision for our overall economic future. I can see arguments in both directions, but eventually we need to face some difficult decisions.

Agree that the messaging coming from the White House is just a tad bit manic and nonsensical on this.

Yeah...I can get behind not having a fiscal stimulus if it's the right decision for our overall economic future. I can see arguments in both directions, but eventually we need to face some difficult decisions.

Agree that the messaging coming from the White House is just a tad bit manic and nonsensical on this.
He has essentially committed his administration to supporting at least $1.6 trillion in new coronavirus spending. If Biden wins and Democrats take the Senate, expect that number to be significantly higher.

"Promising" is something Trump does well, in fact, he does that almost as well as lying and bragging.

Trump fails to deliver on everything that requires political finesse. However, a couple days ago, I heard Trump actually "promise" that he was still working on a second tax cut and an infrastructure bill. That's the first time I personally have heard him mention those things since about 2017.

However, his statements on those things were pre-hospital and pre-steroids, so they probably don't mean much now that he's dealing with bad health.

"Promising" is something Trump does well, in fact, he does that almost as well as lying and bragging.

Trump fails to deliver on everything that requires political finesse. However, a couple days ago, I heard Trump actually "promise" that he was still working on a second tax cut and an infrastructure bill. That's the first time I personally have heard him mention those things since about 2017.

However, his statements on those things were pre-hospital and pre-steroids, so they probably don't mean much now that he's dealing with bad health.
The meaningless timelines are worse. Soon. Very soon. Momentarily.

and Wall Street drops after being up . . . . Plus the Marlins lead the Braves . . .

the stock market didn't drop so much as one point because Joe Citizen isn't getting a stimulus check.

obviously Wall St was looking for another trillion dollar early Christmas present from Santa Fed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT