ADVERTISEMENT

tombstone pizza has to be the best frozen pizza on the market

for those of you on a budget a 99 cent totinos pepperoni pizza will fill your gullet, and isn't half bad for the low price
Back when I was in Bloomington in the mid 70's my roommate and I would buy the 79 cent Tony's or Totino's pizzas, and then load them up with everything we had in the House - Onion, Peppers, Cheese, Sausage, Olives, BBQ Sauce. They weren't half bad. At least the crust didn't taste like the Cardboard Box.

am I wrong or did tombstone go from “premium” in our youth to budget now? Price hasn’t changed in 25 years. That said, they crusty crust still has some magic.
I'm from Wisconsin, and Tombstone, in the beginning had a somewhat unusual Market before they were widely distributed. They would go into Bars and Taverns with their product, rather than sell the pizza as a whole, it was offered by the slice. If you were sitting at the Bar and wanted a different snack, you could order a couple of pieces of Tombstone. and they served them from right behind the Bar.

I'm from Wisconsin, and Tombstone, in the beginning had a somewhat unusual Market before they were widely distributed. They would go into Bars and Taverns with their product, rather than sell the pizza as a whole, it was offered by the slice. If you were sitting at the Bar and wanted a different snack, you could order a couple of pieces of Tombstone. and they served them from right behind the Bar.
Tombstone Tap in wisconsin was the original tavern that created the tombstone pizza. It used to be on the packaging. Might still be, but I haven't had one in years.

Pizza King!

I STILL crave PK and Sportstime (now New Albanian brewery company) pizza. Every time I come back to Southern Indiana, I always hit those two places up. Usually hit up PK first.

TX has really chitty pizza. Our best pizza is a chain (Grimaldis).
LOL. I live in Texas since 1980 and never heard of Grimaldis. You can find good pizza if you try a few places.

Turonis in Evansville is still my favorite all time pizza.

I like the Home run Inn Frozen pizzas.

LOL. I live in Texas since 1980 and never heard of Grimaldis. You can find good pizza if you try a few places.

Turonis in Evansville is still my favorite all time pizza.

I like the Home run Inn Frozen pizzas.

I’ve lived in the Houston area and San Antonio. Travel from Austin to the border.

Besides a few places in Austin (via 313 & a few others), the pizza is subpar.

In San Antonio, it’s likely because of the water that’s used. It’s extremely hard, and must be filtered before you can really use it. Besides Grimaldi’s & Dough (& maybe Cosa Nostra), the pizza just flat out sucks. I’d guess these places filter their water.

Houston pizza was a joke. We were shocked when we lived there. Sometimes dr40 minutes to get Grimaldis (a chain that started in NYC).

Gave up trying to find good pizza in Corpus Christi & the RGV (McAllen, Harlingen & Brownsville area).

However, I grew up in the pizza Mecca for the Midwest (Southern Indiana)

My standards are very high.

I’d take any of these before anything I’ve had in TX- PK, NABC/Sportstime, Wick’s, Bearnos & Impellazari’s. All so different that I could eat a different pizza every night and not get bored. I seriously crave PK & NABC on an almost weekly basis. Besides being able to talk basketball with just about anyone, the pizza is in my top five things I miss about that area (lived there for 30 years).

re: frozen pizza. I’m old school. Give me some Torino’s party pizzas, and I’m good. Still one of the best, and cheapest. Probably the worst for you, but you expect that given the price

I’ve lived in the Houston area and San Antonio. Travel from Austin to the border.

In San Antonio, it’s likely because of the water that’s used. It’s extremely hard, and must be filtered before you can really use it. Besides Grimaldi’s & Dough (& maybe Cosa Nostra), the pizza just flat out sucks. I’d guess these places filter their water.

Houston pizza was a joke. We were shocked when we lived there. Sometimes dr40 minutes to get Grimaldis (a chain that started in NYC).

Gave up trying to find good pizza in Corpus Christi & the RGV (McAllen, Harlingen & Brownsville area).

I’d take any of these before anything I’ve had in TX- PK, NABC/Sportstime, Wick’s, Bearnos & Impellazari’s. All so different that I could eat a different pizza every night and not get bored. I seriously crave PK & NABC on an almost weekly basis. Besides being able to talk basketball with just about anyone, the pizza is in my top five things I miss about that area (lived there for 30 years).

re: frozen pizza. I’m old school. Give me some Torino’s party pizzas, and I’m good. Still one of the best, and cheapest. Probably the worst for you, but you expect that given the price
I lived in Dallas for 25 years and now Austin for 12. Yaghi's and Conans are good in Austin. I've been wanting to go to this place downtown that has Detroit style pizza.

iFratellis is good and much like Campisis in Dallas. Campisis is an egyptian restaurant but has great pizza. There is an iFratelli in austin too. I also liked Salernos and Palios a lot in dallas area.

I lived in Dallas for 25 years and now Austin for 12. Yaghi's and Conans are good in Austin. I've been wanting to go to this place downtown that has Detroit style pizza.

iFratellis is good and much like Campisis in Dallas. Campisis is an egyptian restaurant but has great pizza. There is an iFratelli in austin too. I also liked Salernos and Palios a lot in dallas area.
You’re referring to via 313. If you know Sportstime pizza, it’s a lot like that.

Probably my favorite pizza in TX. It’s really good, and unique (sauce is on top, and the edges are tall and crispy). They cook it in a square/rectangular pan.

Whenever I travel to Austin and I end up close to one of their restaurants, I pick it up and take it back to SA.

Briscoe 7, 8/69 -12/70...the lost year and a half. I remember getting Pizza Train delivered. Kegs, other things...gotta have some munchies. The floor got together and bought a TV for the lounge. Sure is a long way to Swain during the winter. But, close to AH and the stadium. And the pool sure was inviting during warmer weather. After joining the military...went back to graduate the year IU basketball went undefeated.

Isn't it time to have a really good coach and a really good basketball team in Bloomington? Go IU!

Really good local pizzas in NE Dayton north of the A.F.Museum. Manhattan, Rip Rap Roadhouse, Little York Tavern...put Papa John to shame.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
You’re referring to via 313. If you know Sportstime pizza, it’s a lot like that.

Probably my favorite pizza in TX. It’s really good, and unique (sauce is on top, and the edges are tall and crispy). They cook it in a square/rectangular pan.

Whenever I travel to Austin and I end up close to one of their restaurants, I pick it up and take it back to SA.
I forgot to mention East side pies in austin. To me East side or Conan's would be favorites from austin along with Campisis in Dallas. I'll try the via 313 though and one is coming to Cedar park where I live later this year.

a little OT, but back in the 60s the school cafeteria had absolutely fabulous pizza.

it was different than anything else i've ever had, pizza shop or frozen, different crust and different cheese.

was cut into squares instead of pie cuts, so the important thing was to not get a corner slice with two sides of crust.

also, loved these, and was quite the pro making them.

e725465c599f3df9975b1adf55837e2e.jpg

Legend has it that Joe Campisi was the mafia underboss to Joe Civello in Dallas back in the day. The Egyptian Lounge was his restaurant, and Jack Ruby had a steak dinner there, along with other mobsters the night before the JFK assassination. Campisi supposedly used The Egyptian to hide out the assassins as well. Do you know if Campisi’s is the same restaurant, in the same location? That would be pretty cool, if so.

Legend has it that Joe Campisi was the mafia underboss to Joe Civello in Dallas back in the day. The Egyptian Lounge was his restaurant, and Jack Ruby had a steak dinner there, along with other mobsters the night before the JFK assassination. Campisi supposedly used The Egyptian to hide out the assassins as well. Do you know if Campisi’s is the same restaurant, in the same location? That would be pretty cool, if so.
JFK was not killed by the mob. He was killed by anti-castro cuban hit teams who were taught the plan by the CIA to kill castro originally. This plan was taken from an attempted assassination of Hitler called operation valkyrie. The plan was to shoot hitler as he was driving in an open top car, waving to the crowd with a high powered rifle and blame the attack on a lone deranged gunman. The team’s motive was simple, JFK promised an “umbrella of american fire support” during the bay of pigs invasion. JFK never came through with that though the teams lost a lot of men as a result. Here’s a pic of the team posing with a black umbrella on 11/22/64 the one year anniversary of the assassination.

main-qimg-b2044d3c6c818cc16533d1e4870c8a2b

Reactions: Morrison
I would guess that it is. Mockingbird lane. I don't know about all the legend stuff about Ruby and mobsters there. I do remember umpire Steve Palermo getting shot there.

Reactions: Morrison
Briscoe 7, 8/69 -12/70...the lost year and a half. I remember getting Pizza Train delivered. Kegs, other things...gotta have some munchies. The floor got together and bought a TV for the lounge. Sure is a long way to Swain during the winter. But, close to AH and the stadium. And the pool sure was inviting during warmer weather. After joining the military...went back to graduate the year IU basketball went undefeated.

Isn't it time to have a really good coach and a really good basketball team in Bloomington? Go IU!

Really good local pizzas in NE Dayton north of the A.F.Museum. Manhattan, Rip Rap Roadhouse, Little York Tavern...put Papa John to shame.
Does Dayton still have a pizza place called Casano’s?

My grandparents lived in Ohio and being the growing kid that I was, I’ remember we’d hit that place coming in town and pick up 2 large pizzas. Casano’s had a unique sauce.

I forgot to mention East side pies in austin. To me East side or Conan's would be favorites from austin along with Campisis in Dallas. I'll try the via 313 though and one is coming to Cedar park where I live later this year.

I think I’ve had east side. It was delicious. Met an account (& good friend) there pre-COVID.

Don’t wait for via 313 to open near you. Go now. It’s that good. It lessened my cravings for Sportstime pizza/NABC. Very similar. “Detroit style”, and they even have Faygo soda in bottles. Pizza Hut made a Detroit style pizza, and it’s their best pie. Still wasn’t the greatest, because it’s Pizza Hut.

I take it back. TX pizza sucks, except for Austin area pizza ;). You’re very lucky to be there. It’s amazing how each major market in TX is truly it’s own place. Unless you’ve been in TX and travelled around, you how different each area is.

Seriously, the rest of the state is severely lacking. I’ve only had a few places in DFW, but the YELP reviews were just flat out BS. If you’ve never had a good version of something, your ratings are going to be off. I love all styles of pizza, so it’s not me being a snob, or adherent to a single type of pizza.

And yes, I love me some pizza. There’s four of us (for now, son is graduating HS this year), and my daughter and I are always asking for pizza.

JFK was not killed by the mob. He was killed by anti-castro cuban hit teams who were taught the plan by the CIA to kill castro originally. This plan was taken from an attempted assassination of Hitler called operation valkyrie. The plan was to shoot hitler as he was driving in an open top car, waving to the crowd with a high powered rifle and blame the attack on a lone deranged gunman. The team’s motive was simple, JFK promised an “umbrella of american fire support” during the bay of pigs invasion. JFK never came through with that though the teams lost a lot of men as a result. Here’s a pic of the team posing with a black umbrella on 11/22/64 the one year anniversary of the assassination.

main-qimg-b2044d3c6c818cc16533d1e4870c8a2b

PSA-

If you haven’t seen it, watch the TV show series 11.22.63. 8 episodes. James Franco is the lead character, and it was released in 2016.

It explores the theory that you’ve espoused, kind of. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It’s also a lessen in what might happen when you try to change the past (if you ever could have that ability). There’s a diner with a portal to 1963, and you end up in the middle of DFW.

It sounds awful, but it’s actually really good. Probably Franco’s finest acting, as a serious actor. A far cry from “the interview”.

I had a tombstone pizza oven that I used as a space heater one semester. It had about a ten minute cycle and made a loud “ping” when it was done. Smelled like burnt pizza when in use.

Room was cold in the winter due to a buddy inadvertently busting my window to recover something from my room, so I just had plastic over it until it could be replaced. I lived on a ground floor, tile flooring, had a water bed with no heater. It was cold, but I didn’t care.

My parents visited one weekend and were appalled.

One of the best years of my life-so much fun.

I had Arni's in Lafayette and Lebanon IN. It was very good. They had an apple butter pizza which was soooo good for dessert.
one of the things I truly have missed since I moved to Georgia.... I lived for 2 years in the Georgetown area of Indy and I miss going to Arni's... though I've heard "my" Arni's has closed anyhow.

You ain't kidding. Bobe's in Washington is really good, and I used to make up excuses to veer over in that direction. Now, with the I-69 corridor built to Evansville, it's an easier sell. Dangit, now I'm hungry, and my workday can't accomodate a four-hour roundtrip jaunt to get pizza. Now, see what you all have done??!!

You ain't kidding. Bobe's in Washington is really good, and I used to make up excuses to veer over in that direction. Now, with the I-69 corridor built to Evansville, it's an easier sell. Dangit, now I'm hungry, and my workday can't accomodate a four-hour roundtrip jaunt to get pizza. Now, see what you all have done??!!
My mother would pick Bobes over any other pizza. They were in Vincenness too. I assume they are still there on sixth street.

a little OT, but back in the 60s the school cafeteria had absolutely fabulous pizza.

it was different than anything else i've ever had, pizza shop or frozen, different crust and different cheese.

was cut into squares instead of pie cuts, so the important thing was to not get a corner slice with two sides of crust.

also, loved these, and was quite the pro making them.

e725465c599f3df9975b1adf55837e2e.jpg
I can relate! My wife makes the Chef Boy-ar-Dee a lot. I grew up with that box! It's been around since Christ was an altar boy. I attended high school in Terre Haute (West Vigo) from '64 through '67 and I agree, the cafeteria pizza and spaghetti? Damn good! We had a small pizza place over here across from where Gerstmeyer high school once stood called "Luigi's." Freaking outstanding! The owner retired and passed away, as did the recipe with him😥 I still like Mother Bears, Goosepond in Linton and Bobes in Vincennes. I always liked Imo's pizza in the St. Louis area, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: i'vegotwinners
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT