ADVERTISEMENT

Time to go Small Ball

Race at the four changes this team completely and that's what I'm hoping we see going forward.

Not only is he an energy, garbage, junk yard dog big hockey goon who likes to throw is physicallity around...but he's 300% more mobile than our two posts.

In other words he let's TJD play the five which is his best college position and better yet he clears space for TJD to play the five, which is huge. Race doesn't cluster the post.

Race has amazing, sticky hands which is why he's a high level rebounder. He's also hitting his free throws particularly better than Brunk or Deron.

He was a 40% three point shooter in high school so he can keep defenses honest.

He basically allows us to play a modern 4-1 offense with TJD alone in the post. Again this is huge, TJD has pretty much been a 4 all year. Minnesota was the first time he was almost exclusively a five and you saw what happened.

Defensively Race is pretty solid and seems to understand the scheme well. Brunk is awful defensively. He is. Race is not as tall or heavy, but he's much more nimble and is still a big dude at 6'8/6'9.

I love having four rock solid defenders in TJD, Race, Smith and Rob on the floor.

I don't think it's a shock that Race has the second highest PER on the team and was a plus 21 last game.

I'm ready for Race to start over Brunk. Keep the rest of the starters the same. I think Green is better off the bench.
I like the small ball idea and Race over Brunk, but if this team is going to do anything this year DG needs to be confident. I think he should start, it would probably boost his confidence. If we start games well, get him going early and have a legit inside out game going early, this team might still reach it's potential, record be damned, it doesn't matter, just make the tourney somehow

Race at the four changes this team completely and that's what I'm hoping we see going forward.

Not only is he an energy, garbage, junk yard dog big hockey goon who likes to throw is physicallity around...but he's 300% more mobile than our two posts.

In other words he let's TJD play the five which is his best college position and better yet he clears space for TJD to play the five, which is huge. Race doesn't cluster the post.

Race has amazing, sticky hands which is why he's a high level rebounder. He's also hitting his free throws particularly better than Brunk or Deron.

He was a 40% three point shooter in high school so he can keep defenses honest.

He basically allows us to play a modern 4-1 offense with TJD alone in the post. Again this is huge, TJD has pretty much been a 4 all year. Minnesota was the first time he was almost exclusively a five and you saw what happened.

Defensively Race is pretty solid and seems to understand the scheme well. Brunk is awful defensively. He is. Race is not as tall or heavy, but he's much more nimble and is still a big dude at 6'8/6'9.

I love having four rock solid defenders in TJD, Race, Smith and Rob on the floor.

I don't think it's a shock that Race has the second highest PER on the team and was a plus 21 last game.
I agree with nearly all of this. Only thing I'd say is Brunk is a capable interior defender, just like Race. But when you put Race out on the floor or in a pick and roll, Race is better.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I like the small ball idea and Race over Brunk, but if this team is going to do anything this year DG needs to be confident. I think he should start, it would probably boost his confidence. If we start games well, get him going early and have a legit inside out game going early, this team might still reach it's potential, record be damned, it doesn't matter, just make the tourney somehow
DG is over-confident. That is part of his biggest problem. He thinks he can make long distance and circus shots that only NBA players can make. Green does not recognize his own limitations. Take open shots and bury them. The rest of his low % shots might as well be turnovers.

DG is over-confident. That is part of his biggest problem. He thinks he can make long distance and circus shots that only NBA players can make. Green does not recognize his own limitations. Take open shots and bury them. The rest of his low % shots might as well be turnovers.
He is what he is, I just think it's better strategy to find out fast what he is going to offer game to game. If he's not on, pull him, if he is, ride it from the begining

Reactions: ufo33
There is no way we can win games without Green I know he is a cancer but he is the only shooter we have. The lineup I like is

Phinisee PG
Green SG
Hunter SF
Thompson PF
Jackson-Davis C

There is no way we can win games without Green I know he is a cancer but he is the only shooter we have. The lineup I like is

Phinisee PG
Green SG
Hunter SF
Thompson PF
Jackson-Davis C

I concur, put your best backcourt out there from the beginning, if DG ain't on, then throw Al or Franklin in. Make sure Green defers to Rob in playmaking and doesn't sit on ball movement. Get it to TJD every time and kick out to Green if it isn't there. Also, interior passing has been nearly non-existent since before Crean. They need to focus on interior passing between TJD and Race and Hunter.

DG off the bench is a recipe for his hero ball style. We get down early, Archie doesn't know what to do, throws in DG as a spark and pretty much green-light at that point, why let it get there?. Sometimes it works, but I think the better way to approach it is to let him start and know if he doesn't play within the system, he's getting yanked

Last edited:
Reactions: ndhuntington

I think the biggest problem is from game to game … we don't know who we are playing through, Green or TJD. There seems to be zero game plan towards matchups against the competition and who we need to be the alpha dog in a given game. We don't have a star, TJD probably will be, but he's a freshman. That leads to not exploiting our advantages, we just stick to a system that obviously needs more flexibility against different competition. This is the reason we can throttle some good teams and then lay an egg in the span of two or three games … and that is coaching/game-planning

Reactions: BigMobe
Depends on the matchups per any given game....

Just because MSU and Izzo started doing it, doesn't mean it works for IU and/or across the board...

McHoop

Depends on the matchups per any given game....

Just because MSU and Izzo started doing it, doesn't mean it works for IU and/or across the board...

McHoop

Nonsense, that's Crean mentality. The we don't need to prepare for a Syracuse zone type game, just going to run our stuff and not adjust the lineup /strategy if it's not working. A good coach game plans matchups towards competition and/or makes in game adjustments if it all goes to hell. We don't do that.

Nonsense, that's Crean mentality. The we don't need to prepare for a Syracuse zone type game, just going to run our stuff and not adjust the lineup /strategy if it's not working. A good coach game plans matchups towards competition and/or makes in game adjustments if it all goes to hell. We don't do that.

I'm confused. Did you mean to respond to me because I'm pretty much in agreement with your position. I didn't mean to imply you don't make "in-game" adjustments. I was saying that going "small ball" period doesn't make sense to me.

McHoop

I agree with nearly all of this. Only thing I'd say is Brunk is a capable interior defender, just like Race. But when you put Race out on the floor or in a pick and roll, Race is better.
I can't say for sure how much better Race is on defending the pick and roll, but I am willing to bet with a little more experience he will become better ... much better. Race isn't as big, but he has defended bigger players with strength, position and enough athletic ability to handle physical play.

My question is if we could start Franklin ahead of Durham? I see that as a real possibility next year. Franklin has drawn charges unlike our other guards. Defensively, he understands staying in front of his man better than Durham. His offense will improve and leadership won't suffer as Durham gives us little.

Small Ball yes. Replace Brunk as a starter with Race or Hunter. I prefer Hunter. I'd also replace Al with Devonte. Get Al used to coming off the bench again next season.

https://hoosierstateofmind.com/2020...rchie-miller-can-make-going-into-year-four/4/
Think one of the toughest calls a coach has to make is deciding if a player plays better coming off the bench or starting.
This may be why CAM may keep the starting line up the way it is with Race and Jerome coming off the bench.

Brunk has been a key contributor all season but dropped off of late. I dont care who starts and I'd like to see what race can do. That said, the matchups wont work in some cases. Race cant check Wesson and some of the other bigs and you cant have TJD working that hard on both ends. They will need Brunk to play quality minutes.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
He is what he is, I just think it's better strategy to find out fast what he is going to offer game to game. If he's not on, pull him, if he is, ride it from the begining
That is what I totally believe.

Reactions: Ksteph
I'm confused. Did you mean to respond to me because I'm pretty much in agreement with your position. I didn't mean to imply you don't make "in-game" adjustments. I was saying that going "small ball" period doesn't make sense to me.

McHoop
Maybe I mis-understood your response, I thought you were implying that we shouldn't consider something different than the status qou

McHoop
You're talking to a moron.

Brunk has been a key contributor all season but dropped off of late. I dont care who starts and I'd like to see what race can do. That said, the matchups wont work in some cases. Race cant check Wesson and some of the other bigs and you cant have TJD working that hard on both ends. They will need Brunk to play quality minutes.
Brunk started both halves vs Minnesota and was quickly pulled. We can't have a player start that is prone to turnovers or weak on defense. We don't need 5 scorers but we can't let the other team get a fast start.

I don't see Brunk as a strong defender or a quick starter.Race does provide early positive play ff the bench so he could do well in a starting role.

Race cant check Wesson and some of the other bigs and you cant have TJD working that hard on both ends.

Actually, I think Race is EXACTLY who we need defending Wesson or Garza. I like Brunk but he doesn't have the mobility or speed to stay with either of those guys outside. Sure, Race MIGHT give up a little more underneath but IMO, he more than compensates for that with defending outside.

Small Ball yes. Replace Brunk as a starter with Race or Hunter. I prefer Hunter. I'd also replace Al with Devonte. Get Al used to coming off the bench again next season.

https://hoosierstateofmind.com/2020...rchie-miller-can-make-going-into-year-four/4/
Is it really "small ball" since your lineup still will have two guards instead of three? Your lineup would probably work well a good bit of the time.

I don't think any single lineup on this team is guaranteed to work against all the other Big Ten teams -- there's just too much parity and we don't look a thing like the 1975-76 team. No lineup we can put out there is going to dictate what the other team can do.

Our most effective lineup will vary against every opponent depending on matchups:

Think one of the toughest calls a coach has to make is deciding if a player plays better coming off the bench or starting.
This may be why CAM may keep the starting line up the way it is with Race and Jerome coming off the bench.
Yeah, it's pretty clear the starting two job should be an open competition next year involving Durham, Franklin, and possibly all three freshmen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT