ADVERTISEMENT

Thumbnail Overview of UCLA

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana

Should be interesting to see if their two starting Tackles are back out there on Saturday... They were both out for the HI game...

I have not read your article yet, that is next. UCLA did not dominant Hawaii (the parts of the game I saw) but they had a bye week this past week. That should be huge. Playing at home is another biggie.
It is hard for me to understand why we are a point or two favorites. Maybe I have just seen too much IU football over the years.
Would be amazing to win.

Should be interesting to see if their two starting Tackles are back out there on Saturday... They were both out for the HI game...
Will be a very difficult test IMO. They aren't bad and as a whole have recruited much better than we have over the course of a 5 year period. Bienemy is very bright and they should be creative there, but I don't care for their QB--he's okay. I would gather UCLA's RPO and play action plus their game will be extensive

Defensively, they run multi fronts with a 3 man and eagle front stuff (think Ryan Walters defense with a mix of 3-3-5 and 3-2-6). We are a match up problem for them on defense though, because we have established the run AND the pass and they can't crowd the box. All of this depends upon whether we can pass block, namely, from the right side. Wedig doesn't look great. Slow of feet. We shall see. I really liked what I saw from our other 4 starters--even with the crappy competition. There was much better communication.

I have us down for the W, but it should be a close game. Great opportunity to really show the world we can play.

Will be a very difficult test IMO. They aren't bad and as a whole have recruited much better than we have over the course of a 5 year period. Bienemy is very bright and they should be creative there, but I don't care for their QB--he's okay. I would gather UCLA's RPO and play action plus their game will be extensive

Defensively, they run multi fronts with a 3 man and eagle front stuff (think Ryan Walters defense with a mix of 3-3-5 and 3-2-6). We are a match up problem for them on defense though, because we have established the run AND the pass and they can't crowd the box. All of this depends upon whether we can pass block, namely, from the right side. Wedig doesn't look great. Slow of feet. We shall see. I really liked what I saw from our other 4 starters--even with the crappy competition. There was much better communication.

I have us down for the W, but it should be a close game. Great opportunity to really show the world we can play.
Nice detailed analysis. I read the article and a W looks really hard to come by.
We shall see.

Nice detailed analysis. I read the article and a W looks really hard to come by.
We shall see.
Toss up for me, but I'm all in on Cignetti and am betting the over on wins. Just the word I hear is the kids feel great about themselves as players, 100% buy in with the new staff, and feel confident. As an aside, I have heard from several that the attention to detail this staff puts into practice is light years above the previous staff, and there is no standing around. Just look at some of the video from fall camp when they are running routes--3 QBs throwing at a time to 6 receivers as they split the field in thirds. Lots of reps and built in conditioning. And this point, no coach should have to do conditioning if you run your practices well--unless you are completely out of ideas.

Last three years:

UCLA - 25 wins and three bowl games

Indiana - 9 wins.

From a UCLA site who saw today's practice from afar:

Offensive tackle is still a mystery. When the media asked head coach DeShaun Foster about the status of starting left tackle Reuben Unije and right tackle Garrett DiGiorgio, he said, "We'll know by the end of the week." That's a little bit of a departure from last week when Foster said he fully expected both starting tackles to be ready by Indiana. Watching the early offensive line drills from across the field, through players and binoculars, Unije and second-string left tackle Jaylan Jeffers were both taking reps in individual drills as left tackles. If you go by who took his rep first, it was Unije. He did look like he had a bit of an illness, though, with trainers caring for him as he tried to keep some water down. DiGiorgio looked fine at right tackle.

UCLA-Indiana

From a UCLA site who saw today's practice from afar:

Offensive tackle is still a mystery. When the media asked head coach DeShaun Foster about the status of starting left tackle Reuben Unije and right tackle Garrett DiGiorgio, he said, "We'll know by the end of the week." That's a little bit of a departure from last week when Foster said he fully expected both starting tackles to be ready by Indiana. Watching the early offensive line drills from across the field, through players and binoculars, Unije and second-string left tackle Jaylan Jeffers were both taking reps in individual drills as left tackles. If you go by who took his rep first, it was Unije. He did look like he had a bit of an illness, though, with trainers caring for him as he tried to keep some water down. DiGiorgio looked fine at right tackle.

UCLA-Indiana
It doesn't matter who they play. We have to be ready for anyone. It's not about them, it's about us.

I have not read your article yet, that is next. UCLA did not dominant Hawaii (the parts of the game I saw) but they had a bye week this past week. That should be huge. Playing at home is another biggie.
It is hard for me to understand why we are a point or two favorites. Maybe I have just seen too much IU football over the years.
Would be amazing to win.
Cignetti thinks IU benefited from already playing two games before facing UCLA.

Okay so they have a first year HC. And they have only played one game, not two. That could be a bit of an advantage for IU. UCLA football...I'm not saying they are bad but they don't strike fear in the heart or anything. Indiana is...favored? I'm was stoked for this game already because it's at the Rose Bowl but now...I mean...

Also the gold helmets with the baby blue, that unusual combination has always been one of my favorites in terms of CFB unis.

Cig’s JMU QB leading Texas State tonight against ASU. Doing well. Good game. He has an eye for players. Look forward to Saturday.
Yes Texas State has been a long time D1 doormat, collecting away game checks from the long gone in-state SWAC and BiG 12 ‘rivals’. IU fans know a lot about being “underdogs”.

Glad to see Sunseri’s methods translate to another program. May Rourke improve in the Rose Bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT