ADVERTISEMENT

Thomas endorses activist judge rulings

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Reactions: UncleMark

Thomas unnecessarily suggested judicial activity and so became an activist judge himself.

No word yet whether Thomas is willing to reconsider the Long Dong Silver and pubic hair allegations which arose during his confirmation hearings.
That's not true... in the last 50 years people who want something don't try to get a bill passed that covers what they want. They try to get it thru the courts. A lot of that stuff should be a legislative process and not in the courts.

That's not true... in the last 50 years people who want something don't try to get a bill passed that covers what they want. They try to get it thru the courts. A lot of that stuff should be a legislative process and not in the courts.
So, then, you agree with me -- Thomas wasn't just ruling on cases that found their way in front of him through happenstance.

He was encouraging conservative parties and other wannabe plaintiffs to file their cases on those topics he mentioned from his SCOTUS pulpit, further making clear that he wanted to reconsider cases on such topics.

Thomas is an activist judge. Welcome aboard.

So, then, you agree with me -- Thomas wasn't just ruling on cases that found their way in front of him through happenstance.

He was encouraging conservative parties and other wannabe plaintiffs to file their cases on those topics he mentioned from his SCOTUS pulpit, further making clear that he wanted to reconsider cases on such topics.

Thomas is an activist judge. Welcome aboard.
Sounds like to me he's wanting to undo what activist judges done in the past.

Democrats love activist judges . . . until they don’t.

After all the crazy decisions that overturned election results and majority public opinion some long-term conservative thinkers set up the goal of winning elections so that the judiciary would no longer be owned by the Left. No more judicial legislating from the left. They learned to play the game at a higher level. All hail The Federalist Society.

They weren’t going to get the media, Hollywood/entertainment and academia, so they zeroed in on the courts.

Just as basketball is a contact sport, politics is a collision sport.

Democrats love activist judges . . . until they don’t.

After all the crazy decisions that overturned election results and majority public opinion some long-term conservative thinkers set up the goal of winning elections so that the judiciary would no longer be owned by the Left. No more judicial legislating from the left. They learned to play the game at a higher level. All hail The Federalist Society.

They weren’t going to get the media, Hollywood/entertainment and academia, so they zeroed in on the courts.

Just as basketball is a contact sport, politics is a collision sport.
Overturned election results? Sorry that’s your side. Attempting by violence, remember?

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
Like same sex marriage or interracial marriage? Oops.. looks like Thomas is trying to bite the hand that fed him. Of course, as for same sex marriage and interracial marriage, the vast vast majority wanted this to happen. Therefore, what conservatives saw years ago as being liberal activists judges was just someone who had a finger on the pulse of society. In a democracy laws should reflect the will of society, not an outdated social norm.

Wow, it is scary that on this forum the Water Cooler we have people talking about various topics that are IU grads who are so ignorant.

I'm hoping one of the serious lawyers can help me with the question about the 14th Amendment liberty basis for these decisions vs. the 14th Amendment due process basis; which cases were based on what, and the objections to either. Or is there really any difference? Or am I totally conflating and confusing this?

I agree and that should be done thru the legislative process, not the courts.
Did you know the statement you replied to from Harry right there was a setup about gun control? He is saying our Second amendment law is an outdated social norm.

Overturned election results? Sorry that’s your side. Attempting by violence, remember?
Just so we have the record straight, how was the rhetoric around the 2020 election any different than that in the video posted below. And if you would like to bring up violent protests I would direct your attention to the events on election night 2016 and then again on inauguration day in 2017 as my rebuttal in advance. Then swirl in a little summer of 2020, Code Pink and various leftist protestors interrupting Congress while in session, the attempted murder and foiled assassination of GOP Congressmen and a Supreme Court Justice, and a whole host of Democrat's in government and representatives of the Party declaring one of the 3 coequal branches of government as illegitimate because they did not like a ruling.

"Why don't conservatives respect our precious democracy and show interest in the Jan 6th hearings?" That video is 10 minutes of why. The Democrat's have declared theft and illegitimacy of literally every GOP candidate that has won the Presidency since I could vote. Every. Single. One.

Edit to add: Democrats sucked the care out of me over the past at least 22 years. Now my side finally got out of line and I have to self flagellate and worry about what questioning elections does to the legitimacy of our Democracy. Where the f--- have you all been the past 22 years? I refuse to live under the rules that the left is allowed to do this (this being violent when they don't get their way, calling into question the legitimacy of institutions when they don't get their way, use government entities to force false narratives which undermine the opposition's ability to govern, etc., etc.) and the right can't. We're not even now, but let's call it even. I will start giving a shit about my side when you all start giving a shit about yours. Right now with multiple people declaring the Supreme Court illegitimate would be a good place to start speaking up about our precious Democracy. I am listening.

Last edited:
Just so we have the record straight, how was the rhetoric around the 2020 election any different than that in the video posted below. And if you would like to bring up violent protests I would direct your attention to the events on election night 2016 and then again on inauguration day in 2017 as my rebuttal in advance. Then swirl in a little summer of 2020, Code Pink and various leftist protestors interrupting Congress while in session, the attempted murder and foiled assassination of GOP Congressmen and a Supreme Court Justice, and a whole host of Democrat's in government and representatives of the Party declaring one of the 3 coequal branches of government as illegitimate because they did not like a ruling.

"Why don't conservatives respect our precious democracy and show interest in the Jan 6th hearings?" That video is 10 minutes of why. The Democrat's have declared theft and illegitimacy of literally every GOP candidate that has won the Presidency since I could vote. Every. Single. One.

Edit to add: Democrats sucked the care out of me over the past at least 22 years. Now my side finally got out of line and I have to self flagellate and worry about what questioning elections does to the legitimacy of our Democracy. Where the f--- have you all been the past 22 years? I refuse to live under the rules that the left is allowed to do this (this being violent when they don't get their way, calling into question the legitimacy of institutions when they don't get their way, use government entities to force false narratives which undermine the opposition's ability to govern, etc., etc.) and the right can't. We're not even now, but let's call it even. I will start giving a shit about my side when you all start giving a shit about yours. Right now with multiple people declaring the Supreme Court illegitimate would be a good place to start speaking up about our precious Democracy. I am listening.
I’m assuming you’ve watched little to none of the Select Committee hearings. The clip and your post are a series of false equivalences. To begin, there’s no precedent for what Trump, Giuliani, Eastman et al attempted after the November 3, 2020 election.

Sure, there’s been plenty of bitching by losers (and their supporters) with allegations of “illegitimacy” after some prior elections, but that’s mostly all it was — bitching. Clinton called Trump to concede hours after the last polls closed. She also attended his inauguration. Trump, of course, did neither of those things after he lost, and likely broke the law in his corrupt attempt to stay in power.

Similarly, reference to Bush/Gore is another false equivalency. I’m sure you’re familiar with the Florida vote and the Supreme Court stepping in following the 2000 election, but the bottom line is that Gore, as the sitting Vice President, presided over a peaceful tallying and certification of the electoral vote on January 6, 2001. He declared his opponent, George W. Bush, the winner and new president.

Once again, Trump’s and his close allies’ egregious misconduct following his 2020 election loss has no parallel in American history.

I’m assuming you’ve watched little to none of the Select Committee hearings. The clip and your post are a series of false equivalences. To begin, there’s no precedent for what Trump, Giuliani, Eastman et al attempted after the November 3, 2020 election.

Sure, there’s been plenty of bitching by losers (and their supporters) with allegations of “illegitimacy” after some prior elections, but that’s mostly all it was — bitching. Clinton called Trump to concede hours after the last polls closed. She also attended his inauguration. Trump, of course, did neither of those things after he lost, and likely broke the law in his corrupt attempt to stay in power.

Similarly, reference to Bush/Gore is another false equivalency. I’m sure you’re familiar with the Florida vote and the Supreme Court stepping in following the 2000 election, but the bottom line is that Gore, as the sitting Vice President, presided over a peaceful tallying and certification of the electoral vote on January 6, 2001. He declared his opponent, George W. Bush, the winner and new president.

Once again, Trump’s and his close allies’ egregious misconduct following his 2020 election loss has no parallel in American history.
I just saw something somewhere else where someone compared Trump to Gore - must be in this week’s conservative talking points newsletter.

You inherited that conservative gene from somewhere. If not blood relatives certainly you were related in ideology.
Stop the BS. Conservative in no way equates to racist, or relates to slave ownership. There isn’t a slaveholder on either side of my family tree and I’m a conservative. The fact is that some number of Republicans and Democrats, liberals and conservative, do have slaveholders among their ancestors and it’s irrelevant to who they are today.

I just saw something somewhere else where someone compared Trump to Gore - must be in this week’s conservative talking points newsletter.
Or maybe a talking head on Fox News last night. I don't know. I was watching Avs/Lightning.

This next song is not dedicated to the pussy-whipped Clarences among us but to the victims of their domestic terrorism as they abuse their power to vent their suppressed emotional failings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT