ADVERTISEMENT

This is last years team, same bad defense, same bad rebounding, and it will be the same results.

iuda

Benchwarmer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
Yes I know its early but.....This team is not very good. St Johns only had 3 returning players and still managed to hang in with IU. The guards on this team have no clue on how to play defense. The bigs/forwards have no clue on how to guard the pick and roll or as IU defends it, the pick and drive straight to the basket unimpeded. A team that only has 3 returning players and a brand new coaching system, Mullins is a 1st year coach with no coaching experience, should never have been within 20 points. This team had a difficult time breaking 50, they scored 42 to IU's 41 in the 2nd half, but not against IU. IU had more turnovers, 11 to 16. The IU football team and basketball team have the same thing in common - NO DEFENSE. Just like last year's team this team will have to rely on nothing but shooting. That's it. That's all this team has on offense.
Thomas is an upgrade over Perea but he isn't the savior on defense everyone wanted him to be. Still this team is terrible on what the meaning of helpside defense is, what the meaning of stay in front of your man defense is and in the principle of never turning your back to the ball defense. I still don't understand why the guards just open up and let their man zip by them, stand and watch and expect Thomas or whoever to come over and block the shot at the rim! Why are they being taught this is how to play man to man defense?
Still sloppy play at the guard spot. Still way to many unforced turnovers. When the offense is flowing they can be fun to watch but when they get forced into a half court offense it is very difficult to watch. The weave on the top of the key is a staple of this offense. They stand around and run and move with no purpose.
I know its still early but the freshman, OG and Morgan, aren't going to help in any of the concerns on defense, on rebounding and certainly not on the offensive side.
St Johns shouldn't have been able to stay within 20 points at best with a top 25 team

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News