ADVERTISEMENT

This is cringe-worthy

Dec 9, 2014

Dude…did the drunk college kids really hurt your feelings? I’ll note that TJD and X also tweeted messages of support.🙄

This is the polar opposite of mental toughness. Hope they have the strength to take the court against Illinois this weekend.

The social media generations have somehow allowed public opinions of themselves be more valuable than their personal opinion of themselves. It’s crazy that kids are committing suicide over social media posts, or college players have to take a leave of absence because the social media is too much for them to handle. Geez, turn the phone off and go play basketball.

He’s hurting. That’s understandable. The Northwestern student section was mean to him. He’s a sensitive man. It’s nothing to be ashamed of.

Don’t forget he’s many miles away from his family. That probably weighs on him as well. He’s probably used to more intimate family support.

Reactions: jrbjrb
He’s hurting. That’s understandable. The Northwestern student section was mean to him. He’s a sensitive man. It’s nothing to be ashamed of.

Don’t forget he’s many miles away from his family. That probably weighs on him as well. He’s probably used to more intimate family support.
Are you Stuart's son?

Last edited:
I’m not offended, I’m just disturbed by the fragile psyches on display here. Both by MK’s initial tweet and TJD and X with their “I love you man” attaboys. We need tough sons of bitches out there not a group of guys who sound like they’re auditioning for a bad SNL Stuart Smalley skit.
Some young men have difficulty adjusting to life without their maternal confidante. I can imagine after this week’s vulgar, over-the-top treatment by Northwestern, Miller needed some strong maternal reassurance.

For those “tough guys” out there, words do hurt. People do have feelings. Northwestern students went too far; they are not alone - Duke fans seemed to have invented this type of behavior and were made media darlings for it. Maybe it’s a time to self reflect instead of pretend it’s some sort of weakness on behalf of a player who was targeted repeatedly by his former classmates in an unnecessary vulgar fashion. How about screaming support for your team instead of the producing sheets of paper to use as harassment material?

Just because it wasn’t as publized back in the day, how do you know mean joe green didn’t put his arm around a teammate or two who made a crucial error in the game and got depressed from the hate mail they got? What about the Cincinnati guy who shoved MaHomes out of bounds and gave the chiefs a 15 td penalty that allowed them to kick the winning fg? He was crying for gods sake. We just hear more about it today because of social media and these kids post it instead of going to teammates or coaches

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
For those “tough guys” out there, words do hurt. People do have feelings. Northwestern students went too far; they are not alone - Duke fans seemed to have invented this type of behavior and were made media darlings for it. Maybe it’s a time to self reflect instead of pretend it’s some sort of weakness on behalf of a player who was targeted repeatedly by his former classmates in an unnecessary vulgar fashion. How about screaming support for your team instead of the producing sheets of paper to use as harassment material?
Ehhh, I'm with Gator on this one. Consider the source. And, by posting an acknowledgement that this bothered him, you think that will lessen the likelihood it happens again? Can't let others determine your mindset and recognize fan is short for fanatic. I'd rather see him work to shut them up, and I thought he stayed in the game defensively, but makes me think this played a part in his going what, 1-6?

Reactions: TyWebbIU
Just because it wasn’t as publized back in the day, how do you know mean joe green didn’t put his arm around a teammate or two who made a crucial error in the game and got depressed from the hate mail they got? What about the Cincinnati guy who shoved MaHomes out of bounds and gave the chiefs a 15 td penalty that allowed them to kick the winning fg? He was crying for gods sake. We just hear more about it today because of social media and these kids post it instead of going to teammates or coaches
Reassurance from teammates would be expected. In a similar situation I think I'd say "Hey Miller, don't let this crap from those assholes get to you, OK? Let's shut them up...!" It's fine to go to teammates, but not going public, imo.

are you talking to me or Miller?

Correct, it's a ballgame. Opposing fans are going to say shit.
I just want guys that are built for when that shit happens. Those are my favorite players. The ones that bang big threes and then yell I cant hear you bitches at the crowd. GIVE ME THE KILLERS!!! Ron Harpers little brother would be a great one to get. His older bro, cant say I hate him. The big nuts after the big shot? Tip of the cap from me.

Some young men have difficulty adjusting to life without their maternal confidante. I can imagine after this week’s vulgar, over-the-top treatment by Northwestern, Miller needed some strong maternal reassurance.
Are you for real or is this some kind of second-level trolling?

I’m not offended, I’m just disturbed by the fragile psyches on display here. Both by MK’s initial tweet and TJD and X with their “I love you man” attaboys. We need tough sons of bitches out there not a group of guys who sound like they’re auditioning for a bad SNL Stuart Smalley skit.
Grow up keyboard tough guy.

Certain Dukies aren’t chanting f bombs. They are clever and well researched but not profane. That’s for the crass kids that can’t be bothered to be more creative.

Reactions: kkott
Certain Dukies aren’t chanting f bombs. They are clever and well researched but not profane. That’s for the crass kids that can’t be bothered to be more creative.
Yep. I've been to Cameron several times and have often laughed, but never thought anything was out of line. Don't doubt that it's happened, but as organized as they are, I'd guess nowadays an idea that crossed the line would probably be nixed by others.

Our just buck up and play. Mental toughness is key to being an athlete.

I am fine with the tweet and Love > Hate is a good message. I find this threat about it 100X more cringe worthy than his tweet.
Oh yeah! Great message. Love trumps hate, yadda, yadda, yadda. They’ve clearly rallied around that today. Guess I didn’t know WTF I was talking about…

Reactions: Beorik
Ehhh, I'm with Gator on this one. Consider the source. And, by posting an acknowledgement that this bothered him, you think that will lessen the likelihood it happens again? Can't let others determine your mindset and recognize fan is short for fanatic. I'd rather see him work to shut them up, and I thought he stayed in the game defensively, but makes me think this played a part in his going what, 1-6?
Kopp should talk to Reggie Miller on how to silence the crowd.

Has anyone here ever been to an IU basketball game in Assembly? Our student chant F bombs at every game I've been to.......every game.

The social media generations have somehow allowed public opinions of themselves be more valuable than their personal opinion of themselves. It’s crazy that kids are committing suicide over social media posts, or college players have to take a leave of absence because the social media is too much for them to handle. Geez, turn the phone off and go play basketball.
I agree with you. But if you are 15 it might be hard to figure out.

Cringeworthy, perhaps, was too harsh, I think.

Miller was 3/3 from 3 at one point in the Ill. game, at a time when points seemed hard to come by.

FWIW, there was this apology

‘Allowed public opinions of themselves be more valuable than their personal opinion of themselves’. Spot on my friend, friggin spot on

So how did you deal with social media when you played at the major D1 level?

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava

Dude…did the drunk college kids really hurt your feelings? I’ll note that TJD and X also tweeted messages of support.🙄

This is the polar opposite of mental toughness. Hope they have the strength to take the court against Illinois this weekend.
I don’t get why that would be a problem for anyone. Doesn’t seem cringe to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT