ADVERTISEMENT

This idea of giving Sr. another year is silly...

Do you remember the Swine Flu back in 09 causing this kind of reaction? I read where 1,000 died of it before we had declared a national emergency. As of the article I recently read we have had 41 dead in America because of the Coronavirus. Hoosier Jack made the point that 26 of those deaths were at one Convalescent Home. Another site I read where 40-80 million were infected with the swine flu. How come we didn't stop all commerce and sports back then?
Don’t you answer your own question? We didn’t take the measures for the swine flu like we are doing now and as you said, 40-80 million were infected. The death rate was .03% for the swine flu and as of right now the Covid death rate is much higher than that. Assuming the death rate is higher, wouldn’t it be best if we keep 40-80 million people from getting this virus? Are you not worried about overwhelming the medical system?

I agree, it's ****ing stupid. They feel so sorry for all of humanity, why not put my retirement back where it was before offering some dumbass, who isn't good enough to make a life in sports another year in college
This “tough shit, sucks to be you” is a perspective that I truly don’t understand.

Because it wont happen for winter sports. Focus on getting that degree and a job in the real world, NBA Draft, or playing overseas. Neither of which is going to happen right now. Finishing strong in class now without distractions on campus will be the key now to moving on and being successful in life.
You’re ignoring what anyone with eyes can see: finishing strong in class, as you put it, in no way guarantees being a life champion. Kind of unbelievable you’re arguing that. These seniors are PLAYING BASKETBALL right now - or at least, they WERE up until a couple days ago. THAT is what we’re arguing about. Don’t try to deflect the thread; it’s really not cool.

I think quite a few would feel similarly but, hopefully, they’ll be given the opportunity to make that decision based on this unique solution.
Yes.

If the NCAA decides to not go the mandatory fifth year for seniors route, then at least all the players out there will get to make the same decision that Green and Davis have made: the very decision that so many on here want to deny to those who don’t play for IU.

Yes.

If the NCAA decides to not go the mandatory fifth year for seniors route, then at least all the players out there will get to make the same decision that Green and Davis have made: the very decision that so many on here want to deny to those who don’t play for IU.
The only one talking about the possible extra year of eligibility being "mandatory" is you. The NCAA can't force the players to stay. They can't force the schools to keep them. All these "mandatory" comments by you are silly nonsense.

The only one talking about the possible extra year of eligibility being "mandatory" is you. The NCAA can't force the players to stay. They can't force the schools to keep them. All these "mandatory" comments by you are silly nonsense.
There’s been plenty of talk about making it mandatory for the seniors to return. But even if there hadn’t been, it’s completely beside the point, because the NCAA CAN “force” the schools to keep the players. All collegiate authority is derived and flows downward from the NCAA. The NCAA is the ultimate governing body and so anything an individual school may do derives its power to do so EXCLUSIVELY FROM THE NCAA. Academic legitimacy is conferred by the regional accreditation organizations and likewise the NCAA.

And your reply didn’t even address the “moral heart” of what I had previously written, namely, why, exactly, do there seem to be so many IU fans who want to deny others what Green and Davis may forgo by not returning next year? And were they to return for a fifth year, isn’t it only right that other schools’ players be extended the same opportunity? THAT is why there is talk of making this mandatory: it ensures that guys don’t slip through the net.

EDIT. “Autocorrect” is one word for it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT