ADVERTISEMENT

There's likely another way to force Archie's hand

go_iu

All-Big Ten
Feb 22, 2004
… like Cincinnati did to Huggins, give him the choice of resigning and taking a negotiated buyout or be reassigned outside the athletic dept. for the remainder of the contract. 3.5M might not be so desirable when you're picking up cigarette butts of handing out parking tickets after a couple years

… like Cincinnati did to Huggins, give him the choice of resigning and taking a negotiated buyout or be reassigned outside the athletic dept. for the remainder of the contract. 3.5M might not be so desirable when you're picking up cigarette butts of handing out parking tickets after a couple years

My friend, if you've got your checkbook out, go ahead and stroke one out to me for a cool $3.5 mil. I've got my broom and dustpan at the ready, if you want to point me in the direction of the parking lot that needs policing or the ticket booth that needs manning.

Seriously, people have some truly goofy ass ideas. Looney tunes. Huggins had a DUI. Maybe if we can convince Archie to have a few after the next loss...

Seriously, people have some truly goofy ass ideas. Looney tunes. Huggins had a DUI. Maybe if we can convince Archie to have a few after the next loss...
Another failure of vision by Glass. He should have hired another drunk like Wilson as the basketball coach, so he could force him to resign if necessary.

Another failure of vision by Glass. He should have hired another drunk like Wilson as the basketball coach, so he could force him to resign if necessary.
So he had a legal out, to can him if he did not work out.

Did you eat paint chips as a child?

Well.....Little 5 is coming up. Somebody has to clean up those porta potties. Then there's the urinal troughs at Memorial Stadium.

Reactions: 82IU and bailey777
LOL. I don't know if they are still around but coaches contracts used to have reassignment clauses. Myles Brand when he as at Oregon reassigned the basketball coach, can't remember his name, to golf coach. It would have been in the early 90s. The basketball coach sued Oregon over it.

My friend, if you've got your checkbook out, go ahead and stroke one out to me for a cool $3.5 mil. I've got my broom and dustpan at the ready, if you want to point me in the direction of the parking lot that needs policing or the ticket booth that needs manning.

Not kidding, for me or you, we'd jump at that offer. For a coach with plans of getting another job when presented with that ultimatum, it would be a threat so humiliating he'd have to bend to their offer.

Where do you get your information from.I live about 15-20 minutes from Cincinnati and
Not kidding, for me or you, we'd jump at that offer. For a coach with plans of getting another job when presented with that ultimatum, it would be a threat so humiliating he'd have to bend to their offer.
You think they’re going to pay Archie 3.5 mil and then have to pay someone else to coach the basketball team. They might as well just fire him.

Where do you get your information from.I live about 15-20 minutes from Cincinnati and

You think they’re going to pay Archie 3.5 mil and then have to pay someone else to coach the basketball team. They might as well just fire him.

It's what they did to Huggins, just wicki him, that's what they did to him. Now, bare in mind, Huggins could have probably been fired for cause over his DUI after a legal battle, but unless it's in Archie's contract reassignment is off-limits, the humiliation, and a looming firing after next year might persuade him to avoid all that and negotiate a mutual separation. If he won't agree, they might relegate him to something totally humiliating. If he wants to play hardball and basically collect paychecks for bad performance another couple years, why shouldn't the university play hardball too.

You're reaching. The issue with Huggins was a DUI, so to say the least there were extenuating circumstances. He was done there and most likely that was just the spin story. I'm not looking through a contract, but I'm confident there's wording in there to protect the Coach from such silliness and it's so ridiculous if I was him and that was "threatened" I'd call them on that bluff in a heartbeat because it would make the U look so stupid... ("hey, there's our $3.5 mill janitor", and now we have a $5 mill/yr Coach too!). He had the leverage to get a lengthy guarantee, he's got the leverage to have any such silliness removed, if it was ever even attempted. It's ridiculous, it ain't happenin, and the only humiliation is on you for suggesting it. Stop.

No, by firing him, he has a guarantee, there's no leverage for the university to negotiate with him … he doesn't have to. It's the same as never quit your job because you won't then be eligible for unemployment. A reassignment threat gives the university some leverage to negotiate. I don't know if it's possible, he may have a clause against that, just throwing it out there that if he does not in fact, that's a means they could employ to get him to leave on favorable terms as opposed to the inevitable horrid year next and ultimate firing anyway.

You're reaching. The issue with Huggins was a DUI, so to say the least there were extenuating circumstances. He was done there and most likely that was just the spin story. I'm not looking through a contract, but I'm confident there's wording in there to protect the Coach from such silliness and it's so ridiculous if I was him and that was "threatened" I'd call them on that bluff in a heartbeat because it would make the U look so stupid... ("hey, there's our $3.5 mill janitor", and now we have a $5 mill/yr Coach too!). He had the leverage to get a lengthy guarantee, he's got the leverage to have any such silliness removed, if it was ever even attempted. It's ridiculous, it ain't happenin, and the only humiliation is on you for suggesting it. Stop.

I'm not looking at his contract either, he likely very well has that covered in there, but if he doesn't, it's leverage

I agree, it would be ridiculous, but a contract is a contract and if that specific possibility is not precluded, it would be leverage for the university. Sorry, I've never signed or negotiated a high D1 coaching contract, but I read an article the other day on HuggyBear eclipsing a win mark and it reminded me of the situation there. Just throwing it out there for those that might be familiar to ponder. My guess would be his contract would preclude that … but if not ...

Do this to our home run slam dunk hire? The one we are told every program wanted badly!!

His DUI was leverage for UC, but probably not enough to terminate him outright without a legal battle. It was not light years ago, and I know that now a days I could get a DUI hypothetically, they wouldn't be able to fire me, and I could probably go on medical leave for treatment of said "disease", not be fired at all and covered by my health insurance. It is that way now, probably was then too, which is why they had to resort to something that ridiculous. His f'up gave the UC leverage, but that was like what 15 years ago, and apparently Huggins did not have something in his contract to avoid that threat by UC. Maybe it's standard now, IDK

Backup the brinks trunk to painters house to get him in here to fix this dumpster fire, and relegate archie to grilling pork chops courtside in assembly all each game to pass out to the student section. Yeah! DERP!

Reactions: mk23 and kkott
His DUI was leverage for UC, but probably not enough to terminate him outright without a legal battle. It was not light years ago, and I know that now a days I could get a DUI hypothetically, they wouldn't be able to fire me, and I could probably go on medical leave for treatment of said "disease", not be fired at all and covered by my health insurance. It is that way now, probably was then too, which is why they had to resort to something that ridiculous. His f'up gave the UC leverage, but that was like what 15 years ago, and apparently Huggins did not have something in his contract to avoid that threat by UC. Maybe it's standard now, IDK

There was a lot of issues surrounding Huggins at the time, so my guess is that was the "story"they agreed on for his release, not the reason. I think the leverage in his case was that he probably didn't want the details of some of his other mishaps made public and that's the story they came up with, but that's just a guess.

If you want to believe IU might have leverage by threatening to reassign him, have at it. I'm 100% confident that threat is staying right there in your mind as a possibility that will never see the light of day. It would make the University look far dumber than Archie. If I was him and I was in the room when they trotted that out, after I stopped laughing, I'd beg them to do it and suggest they have me scrub hallways with a toothbrush in a clown suit.

There was a lot of issues surrounding Huggins at the time, so my guess is that was the "story"they agreed on for his release, not the reason. I think the leverage in his case was that he probably didn't want the details of some of his other mishaps made public and that's the story they came up with, but that's just a guess.
My vague recollection is that U of C got a new President who pledged to "clean up" athletics. Huggins and his players had a certain reputation that she didn't like. Huggins was a dead man walking as soon as she took over. It was reminiscent of the Brand/RMK clash. At least that's what my old addled brain recalls...

Reactions: kkott
I agree, it would be ridiculous, but a contract is a contract and if that specific possibility is not precluded, it would be leverage for the university. Sorry, I've never signed or negotiated a high D1 coaching contract, but I read an article the other day on HuggyBear eclipsing a win mark and it reminded me of the situation there. Just throwing it out there for those that might be familiar to ponder. My guess would be his contract would preclude that … but if not ...

Take it you didn't need to negotiate your contract for the Taco Bell late shift either.

no wonder no one wants to come to iu and coach jesus christ people get a life

Give @go_iu a break. He spent all his disposable income on his cable package, and his winter entertainment has been ruined.... again. Probably has a viable lawsuit against Glass for extreme emotional distress at this point. It's clear he's lost what little of his mind remained. His cable bill gives him legal standing as a true fan.

I'd say just fire him and take your lumps as far as paying him. That is better than what you are suggesting. What coach would ever want to come to IU if we treated one like that simply because he didn't win to our liking? It's not like Archie has broken NCAA rules or the laws of the state.

I'd say just fire him and take your lumps as far as paying him. That is better than what you are suggesting. What coach would ever want to come to IU if we treated one like that simply because he didn't win to our liking? It's not like Archie has broken NCAA rules or the laws of the state.

MV5BOTk5ZjYyZTMtYzYwOC00NmJiLTk1OGQtZTMxY2I1YWQ3ZjJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

Give @go_iu a break. He spent all his disposable income on his cable package, and his winter entertainment has been ruined.... again. Probably has a viable lawsuit against Glass for extreme emotional distress at this point. It's clear he's lost what little of his mind remained. His cable bill gives him legal standing as a true fan.
He’s also said he doesn’t have much time left. Go easy on the poor guy.

Reactions: MrBing
It's what they did to Huggins, just wicki him, that's what they did to him. Now, bare in mind, Huggins could have probably been fired for cause over his DUI after a legal battle, but unless it's in Archie's contract reassignment is off-limits, the humiliation, and a looming firing after next year might persuade him to avoid all that and negotiate a mutual separation. If he won't agree, they might relegate him to something totally humiliating. If he wants to play hardball and basically collect paychecks for bad performance another couple years, why shouldn't the university play hardball too.
This would be an excellent way to attract a new coach. “Bare” that in mind.

Reactions: Radio Zero
I worked for a company recently that made violations of the law (such as DUIs) grounds for instant termination. And said company enforced that rule as well.

Good luck getting a next coach who might end up cleaning toilets in Briscoe Hall.

Reactions: kkott and T.M.P.

Good Evening Sir Twenty02,

It’s that time of year again! Our last exchange was in Feb 2019 when you bet me that IU was making the NCAA tournament. Alas, that did not happen and the terms of the bet (staying off the board for a full year)....well, let’s just say that there was an egregious breach of contract by one of said parties.
Being the generous poster that I am, do you want to double down on that bet again?

Sincerely,

BRCB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT