ADVERTISEMENT

The World's longest flight

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
Interesting business model but man... its a killer for passengers.

Holy cow!! My flight to the States from Singapore would be 8+hrs from Singapore to Tokyo; then 12-13hrs across the Pacific. This was the killer part. Then either SF/LAX to Chicago or KC would be another 4+hrs. When you add in all the transits and waiting around airports for flights... it's a long haul.

But 17+hrs non-stop from Auckland would send me cuckoo -- and you are only at Doha, and the chances are you would probably fly to London after. They need to sell drugs on-board is this trend continues either pot or Ambien.

Holy cow!! My flight to the States from Singapore would be 8+hrs from Singapore to Tokyo; then 12-13hrs across the Pacific. This was the killer part. Then either SF/LAX to Chicago or KC would be another 4+hrs. When you add in all the transits and waiting around airports for flights... it's a long haul.

But 17+hrs non-stop from Auckland would send me cuckoo -- and you are only at Doha, and the chances are you would probably fly to London after. They need to sell drugs on-board is this trend continues either pot or Ambien.
I think my Australia flight overwater was 15 hours. I had my ambien but still didn’t sleep much. But boy did I get caught up on movies.

I think my Australia flight overwater was 15 hours. I had my ambien but still didn’t sleep much. But boy did I get caught up on movies.

Wow! That's crazy. There is only so much you can sleep though I think I slept like 14/15hrs from Singapore to Phoenix via Amsterdam and NYC once. Too tired from work.
My perfect non-stop is Singapore-London/Manchester. 13hrs. Catch a night flight from S'pore and you get into the UK their morning.

I think there is a tolerance level -- 14-15hrs non-stop and it starts to affect your psyche. I rather have a stop-over or two. Yet this is supposed to be a trend -- ultra-long flights. I can see more passenger problems on-board on these flights unless they spray some sort of aerosol sleep aid into the cabin! (You can only drink for so many hours.)

LA to Melbourne was ~16 hours. It was Qantas and they had free beer...I was fine

Reactions: sglowrider
Worst was a 13 hour flight from Beijing to Chicago. And that was the day after we sat on the tarmac for 4 hours waiting to takeoff due to mechanical issues. They finally gave up and put us up in a hotel in Beijing.

And to make matters worse we landed in Chicago, transferred to a puddle jumper immediately, and then sat on tarmac for two hours due to weather. 17+ hours straight on two airplanes before landing in Cincy. And that’s not including the 4+ hours the day before

Reactions: sglowrider
Worst was a 13 hour flight from Beijing to Chicago. And that was the day after we sat on the tarmac for 4 hours waiting to takeoff due to mechanical issues. They finally gave up and put us up in a hotel in Beijing.

And to make matters worse we landed in Chicago, transferred to a puddle jumper immediately, and then sat on tarmac for two hours due to weather. 17+ hours straight on two airplanes before landing in Cincy. And that’s not including the 4+ hours the day before

According to the interview, these super long flights will be more common. I am just not sure what the business model is for that. It cant be for business passengers? Rather video conference if I have to fly that far.

edit:
THE WORLD’S LONGEST FLIGHTS ARE MAKING A COMEBACK
a350-singapore.jpg

https://qz.com/quartzy/1182828/ultra-long-haul-flights-the-next-generation-of-international-travel/

According to John Grant, senior analyst at air travel intelligence firm OAG, the “stars have aligned” for the ultra long haul moment to happen now, thanks to “the price of fuel, the level of technology we’ve reached in terms of aircraft performance, and the fact that these new aircrafts are made of composite materials which means they are a lot lighter to fly.”

Boyd says that beyond the fuel efficiency of the new long-range A350-900, the aircraft includes improvements in cabin pressurization, humidity control, and airflow management that make a 19-hour flight—and the jet lag that follows—more bearable.

who these flights are for? “More than anything, this is a time machine for business travellers,” Boyd said. “It is the kind of product that is going to appeal to time-stretched travellers that are interested in boarding just once, as well as more corporate and premium leisure travellers.”
Indeed, the”premium heavy“configuration and design of many of these flights give you a clue of the kind of passenger the airlines are going after. Grant describes Singapore’s Airline’s new A350 as “a boutique aircraft for boutique routes.”

19hrs non-stop? Feck me. Not sure what would drive me crazier - sitting in a tin-
can for 19hrs non-stop or a partner of mine had cheated on me!!
Thank god I don't have to do too much travelling nowadays, other than short hops.

Last edited:
I just did Newark to Hong Kong direct at 16 hrs straight. Wasn’t terrible, but then again business class.

I just did Newark to Hong Kong direct at 16 hrs straight. Wasn’t terrible, but then again business class.

Dilly! Dilly! .. rub it in! :(

Cisco sucked for that -- S'pore to SJ flights were always on coach since we were all 'shareholders'! I always had a suspicion that John Chambers, my fellow shareholder, :rolleyes: didn't fly coach though.

Last edited:

I flew Cheyenne to Casper once. I was on business but the turbo-prop commuter wasn't very classy.

Don Sutton was on the flight. We talked baseball the whole time. The guy has a million stories.

Dilly! Dilly! .. rub it in! :(

Cisco sucked for that -- S'pore to SJ flights were always on coach since we were all 'shareholders'! I always had a suspicion that John Chambers, my fellow shareholder, :rolleyes: didn't fly coach though.
That’s no way to treat valuable employees.

I think Santa’s flight is longer,

I flew ORD-LAX-SIN. 4 hours to Los Angeles, and another 17.5 hours to Singapore. As INRanger says...it's a lot easier in business class. United has since dropped the LAX-SIN flight and has doubled up from SFO. Still a really long day in the air from SFO...over 17 hours.

I flew ORD-LAX-SIN. 4 hours to Los Angeles, and another 17.5 hours to Singapore. As INRanger says...it's a lot easier in business class. United has since dropped the LAX-SIN flight and has doubled up from SFO. Still a really long day in the air from SFO...over 17 hours.

The killer non-stop flight will be the proposed Sydney--london.
How much can you drink sitting in a tin can for 21hrs without going stir crazy or getting yourself in trouble?

A friend of mine did Caracas to Delhi with transits in Miami, LAX, tokyo and S'pore years ago. I think he must have had alcohol poisoning by the time he arrived at Delhi. Then there's Delhi-belly he had to contend with after that flight or maybe all that alcohol helped coat his tummy.

Reactions: DrHoops
How much can you drink sitting in a tin can for 21hrs without going stir crazy or getting yourself in trouble?

A friend of mine did Caracas to Delhi with transits in Miami, LAX, tokyo and S'pore years ago. I think he must have had alcohol poisoning by the time he arrived at Delhi. Then there's Delhi-belly he had to contend with after that flight or maybe all that alcohol helped coat his tummy.
Why are you awake at 4:30 in the morning?

An Indian-American friend of mine was going to India on business and had never been to India. His Indian dad told him "Don't fly Air India, because the moment you step on an Air India plane, you're in India."

I've read on my favorite Airline web site, airliners.net that Air India has a lot of problems with toilets getting clogged because no matter how many times they tell people not to put things in the toilet they never listen. By the time they're half way to where they're going, 50-75% of the lavatories are out of order and there are lines for the ones remaining.

I will steer clear of Air India.

Last edited:
An Indian-American friend of mine was going to India on business and had never been to India. His Indian dad (obviously) told him "Don't fly Air India, because the moment you step on an Air India plane, you're in India."

I've read on my favorite Airline web site, airliners.net that Air India has a lot of problems with toilets getting clogged because no matter how many times they tell people not to put things in the toilet they never listen. By the time they're half way to where they're going, 50-75% of the lavatories are out of order and there are lines for the ones remaining.

I will steer clear of Air India.

I have flown Air India -- from NYC to LHR. It was precisely how you described it. Me and all the non-Indians (incl Americans and Europeans) sat together in that 747-400. Reverse apartheid.

If you need to go to India, fly Jet or international airlines.

Side note: I like India. I find it culturally fascinating -- more so than the land of my descendants, China. Smart, quick-witted people though I think they over-deliberate too much especially amongst their own.

Reactions: DrHoops

I fly YouTube all over the planet. First class. Sleep in my own bed. Take off and arrive whenever I choose. Have my own private stewardess. Best of all, 24-hour wine cellar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT