ADVERTISEMENT

The Weather up at Northwestern

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
No major predictions this time... I'll provide some resources and you reach your own conclusions... (I will add mine at the bottom [just can't help myself 😉😎]...).

From about 3 miles offshore out in Lake Michigan (1st box upper left):

From the Northwestern Sailing Center:

Accu Weather:

National Weather Service:

Hourly Box (NWS):

As everyone is aware, the key factor up there will be the wind... I'm guessing the best indicator of the types of wind(s) they'll be experiencing at the stadium will be a combination of the first two site real time observations (average wind speed, gusts and direction of) from above...

Looks like a typical late afternoon on Lake Michigan... If you're there "live on site" you'd best bring your hat, UV rated sunglasses, and sunscreen, as it appears many of you will be seated directly across from the water ( that reflected sunlight can cook your retinas and your skin)...

Here's hoping the wind stays below 20 mph most of the game..., and that Cig has a Grad Asst. monitoring those two Weather sites at the top before we attempt a FG...

The key may be the wind direction (which can move around on you at times out on the lake), rather than the wind speed... If it's from the SSE as predicted it might be blocked a little at field level by the bleachers; if it moves around to coming in from a Northerly direction it might cause a lot more problems...

I'm guessing that as long as we don't end up throwing a pass or attempting a FG exactly when the wind gusts to above 25 we probably won't have any major issues...

Field-wise I'm just glad we're not playing on that Elephant Grass (height exaggeration) old field that (seemingly) had a foot high crown running down the center of it... I've watched more than one player (from several different schools) be taken down by it [seemingly tripping over their own feet]... That's one half of their Home Field Advantage that's gone...

Here's to a Great Day and a Great Game! 😎🍺🍺💨☁️☀️

Last edited:
Currently cool and pretty breezy.

Looks to be a beautiful day, although the wind has me minorly concerned, especially because there’s no stadium walls to speak of to break it up. At least we’ve been running effectively so far this season.

No major predictions this time... I'll provide some resources and you reach your own conclusions... (I will add mine at the bottom [just can't help myself 😉😎]...).

From about 3 miles offshore out in Lake Michigan (1st box upper left):

From the Northwestern Sailing Center:

Accu Weather:

National Weather Service:

Hourly Box (NWS):

As everyone is aware, the key factor up there will be the wind... I'm guessing the best indicator of the types of wind(s) they'll be experiencing at the stadium will be a combination of the first two site real time observations (average wind speed, gusts and direction of) from above...

Looks like a typical late afternoon on Lake Michigan... If you're there "live on site" you'd best bring your hat, UV rated sunglasses, and sunscreen, as it appears many of you will be seated directly across from the water ( that reflected sunlight can cook your retinas and your skin)...

Here's hoping the wind stays below 20 mph most of the game..., and that Cig has a Grad Asst. monitoring those two Weather sites at the top before we attempt a FG...

The key may be the wind direction (which can move around on you at times out on the lake), rather than the wind speed... If it's from the SSE as predicted it might be blocked a little at field level by the bleachers; if it moves around to coming in from a Northerly direction it might cause a lot more problems...

I'm guessing that as long as we don't end up throwing a pass or attempting a FG exactly when the wind gusts to above 25 we probably won't have any major issues...

Field-wise I'm just glad we're not playing on that Elephant Grass (height exaggeration) old field that (seemingly) had a foot high crown running down the center of it... I've watched more than one player (from several different schools) be taken down by it [seemingly tripping over their own feet]... That's one half of their Home Field Advantage that's gone...

Here's to a Great Day and a Great Game! 😎🍺🍺💨☁️☀️

Yeah..., I'm replying to my own point (he typed sheepishly)...

This is Weather related (sort of) so I thought I'd add it here...

It just occurred to me that Cignetti might help his QB's, Receivers, Kickers, LB's and DB's get an edge before the "Gales of November come Early" in Big Ten play by having them all take some rudimentary sailing lessons out on Lake Monroe...

Just picking up a very basic feel and understanding of reading the wind in real time and adjusting to it (tacking) might give them one more set of references to draw on when dealing with it, and adjusting to it, in game time windy conditions...

He'd probably have to add in everyone else just the keep up the morale but the guys mentioned above might really gain an edge from it...

If he could find a knowledgeable alum with say a medium size craft (something in the 18 to 26 foot range) some fairly basic lessons could be imparted in a short period of time... Something even smaller might even work better...; you'd have fewer guys out at one time
but probably better teaching conditions...

Just a thought... Anything to give them an edge...

//Aikido lessons for the linemen in the off season might help too... (while we're talking about gaining an edge)...//

Last edited:
The B1G Show is from Evanston this morning and they commented on how the wind was coming off the lake at a pretty strong gust. Passing game could be tough today.

Reactions: 76-1
Everybody on game previews on other sights and podcasts this week has been saying run, run, run. For both sides.

Saw one guy said, run, run, run, early because Rourke will roast them once they have to pull up the safeties. I like that one.

Word is NW makes you play short, keeps stuff in front of them, earn your yards. I'm very pumped to see what Cig and Shanahan gameplan for that. I figure if we already were planning a winning short game, the wind won't be as big of a factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
Beautiful. 75 degrees. Some breeze. No weather concerns for this game. Nut up….Play our methodical game….we should be fine. Just move the sticks and score. If our defense is serviceable, we shouldn’t have to worry about them outscoring us.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman
Beautiful. 75 degrees. Some breeze. No weather concerns for this game. Nut up….Play our methodical game….we should be fine. Just move the sticks and score. If our defense is serviceable, we shouldn’t have to worry about them outscoring us.

This might be the best weather site of the bunch for up to date, close to the field, conditions:

Has both the boatyard conditions (within a quarter mile of the field) and also the wind speed 2.5 miles out in the lake ("the Crib")...

Looking really good near Kickoff...💨 😎☁️🍺

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT