ADVERTISEMENT

The story of Graham Parson's death, Phil Kaufman (the Road Mangler) and my friend Otis Gibbs (just another folk singer).

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
To be honest I didn't know what the **** to call this thread. In truth this thread is more about my friend Otis Gibbs. If you know me well enough you've seen me post his songs every once in awhile or one of his podcasts. Otis and I aren't really friends in the sense I can call him today and go have a beer. Truth is we're not really friends, but we worked together in Broad Ripple back in the mid 90's. I started off as a doorman at the Patio and worked my way up to becoming Entertainment Manager of the Vogue and Patio that oversaw the promotion and production of all concerts at both venues. Otis, worked security, and was often seen at 4:00am changing the marquee signs at both venues. Otis was also the lead singer/guitarist of the local band, Blind Otis and the Lost Highway. Maybe you've heard of him, his old band or just know the name because of my shameless promotion of all things Otis.

You should know I don't make a dime off of Otis, but I do think he's one of the more interesting cats I've ever known. I suppose the reason I'm dedicating a thread about Otis and his work is I'm concerned about his ability to make a living right now. Many musicians who rely upon making money playing live are really struggling. They were some of the first to lose work and will be some of the last to go back. Otis has a podcast called, "Thanks for Giving a Damn". I think more than ever I'm asking you to tune in to his podcasts, listen to his music and support his many endeavors. Otis was born in Wannamaker, IN, moved to East Nashville, TN for about 15 years and now finds himself back in Indy. He's just released a new album, Hoosier National, which in my opinion is his best album in years. It also happens to be the first all electric album he's made in 18 years. Otis like all great folk singers is an incredible storyteller. In the song Panhead he tells the story of his dad building a Harley Davidson Chopper only to have it stolen. In Fountain Square Stare he sings about being the old guy standing outside the all ages club knowing what it meant to feel that excitment as a kid. My favorite song off this new album is Lord Open Road. It's the true story he heard when Otis was living as a hobo about the remains of a fellow hobo being murdered in Texas and a friend bringing back the remains on the trains.

So I suppose you're wondering about the connection to Graham Parson's death and Phil Kaufman if you've never heard of him. Phil Kaufman aka the Road Mangler was a road manager for many famous artists including the Rolling Stones, Graham Parsons, Emmylou Harris and others. Phil also met Charles Manson while in prison and upon their leaving jail produced Manson's first album. And then there's the infamous post death story of Graham Parson's. Perhaps you know what happened or saw the movie that starred Johnny Knoxville playing the part of Phil Kaufman. I don't want to spoil this story so I won't tell it. So the connection here to Otis Gibbs is that Otis and Phil have become acquantinces over the years. Otis did a two part podcast interview with Phil that is pretty amazing. I will link the episodes for your listening pleasure.

So that's all. I will share some music and podcast episodes. If you enjoy Otis's music or podcasts I hope you will consider buying an album, giving his podcast a like or spreading the word. Let's support a fellow Hoosier artist and allow him to continue making great art. Thank's For Giving a Damn!

https://otisgibbs.com/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT