ADVERTISEMENT

The state of Indiana has....

A lesson for some of you;

Although Gelon is a 2016 recruit and I mentioned the 2017 class, grant will be a sophomore in 17 and still take up a scholarship that could have been given to one of the Indiana kids in the 2017 class I mentioned.

I know, I know, that's tricky to comprehend, any questions let me know

Although Gelon is a 2016 recruit and I mentioned the 2017 class, grant will be a sophomore in 17 and still take up a scholarship that could have been given to one of the Indiana kids in the 2017 class I mentioned.

Tom Piller.

Reactions: Kylehornsbyrules

We all understand how recruiting works but you know we will have at least 3 openings for next year. Hartman will graduate and Bryant will probably enter the draft plus Priller could graduate after 3 years. Also if Williams comes back there would be another scholarship open.

17 class is loaded yes but we are not going to get WIlliams. Most likely is Scruggs and possibly Wilkes. Jackson is also a reach for IU and probably will go to his dads Alma Mater from what I have heard.

Gelon was a huge reach but maybe as a JR he "could" serve as a Ziesloft role. Would you be ok with that if he was able to get to that point? The kid can shoot and shoot really really well. He just doesn't do anything else at a D1 level.

17 class is loaded yes but we are not going to get WIlliams. Most likely is Scruggs and possibly Wilkes. Jackson is also a reach for IU and probably will go to his dads Alma Mater from what I have heard.

Gelon was a huge reach but maybe as a JR he "could" serve as a Ziesloft role. Would you be ok with that if he was able to get to that point? The kid can shoot and shoot really really well. He just doesn't do anything else at a D1 level.
Like I was going to say is that even if we have 5 openings next year there is no way we would get all 5 ranked players in this class.

Reactions: ryno41802

I don't follow recruiting much anymore. What's the deal with Williams and Jackson? Any particular reasons why IU isn't in good shape to land these two? Any insight is appreciated. Cheers!

I'm with you on the Gelon thing. I didn't understand it then but I also haven't seen what Crean must've? The recruiting game is a funny thing and can be very political. Who knows what the plan was behind that but I sure would like to know.

Agree with this one, and I would say that Zeisloft would have been a reach out of high school too. Gelon will be here as a freshmen, and if after the first year the coaches don't think he can play at IU..well they obviously aren't afraid to tell him that.

Maybe Gelon will get Creaned and then you will be happy. Oh, wait you won't. You will slam Crean for getting rid of a good kid from Indiana who just wanted to play for the university.

Crean needs to score big on the recruiting trail with the 2017 IN HS class. He's been on these guys for a long time and they've been to campus a bunch. IU will be really good again next year and he needs to cleanup at home. Getting 2 or more of these guys should be the bare minimum.

Reactions: hoosierstateII
I don't follow recruiting much anymore. What's the deal with Williams and Jackson? Any particular reasons why IU isn't in good shape to land these two? Any insight is appreciated. Cheers!
Williams is probably a MSU lean
Jackson may be a Georgetown lean
Wilkes...IU is in it but will be tough
Scruggs...IU probably the favorite

Reactions: hoosierstateII
Crean needs to score big on the recruiting trail with the 2017 IN HS class. He's been on these guys for a long time and they've been to campus a bunch. IU will be really good again next year and he needs to cleanup at home. Getting 2 or more of these guys should be the bare minimum.
If he can, fine. If he doesn't and he gets equal talent from out of state, that's still really good. I like players from within the state but only if they WANT to represent IU. The "movement" demonstrated that just because players are from Indiana, does not mean they are Hoosiers.

He should have never been offered in the first place

Pretty amazing a kid like McIntosh - who was all-frosh (2015) and Honorable Mention (2016). - didn't get an offer, but Gelon does.

Not saying McIntosh is a premier athlete or anything, but if you've seen him play he makes up for any athletic shortcomings (not a bad athlete IMO, just not great) with stellar ball-handling and PG skills. Point is, he has plenty of game and upside.

This is not an attempt to bash Grant; from all accounts, he (and his family) seem like solid people. But the kid's game is more suited to the MAC than the B1G. That's just the truth.

Crean is supposed to be this great recruiter. Yet how many really GREAT recruits has he brought in to IU? Cody? Vonleh & Yogi, maybe - although neither were as polished as Zeller was, especially Vonleh. Crean wants to play the style that UNC & UK do, but doesn't recruit to that level. Not has he shown the ability to coach guys UP to that level AS A TEAM.

Which is why some of us shake our collective heads when we see offers to kids like Gelon. If your goal is to be "elite" - as Fred Glass stated was the objective - do your really think you'll do that consistently recruiting the way Crean does? I don't.

If he can, fine. If he doesn't and he gets equal talent from out of state, that's still really good. I like players from within the state but only if they WANT to represent IU. The "movement" demonstrated that just because players are from Indiana, does not mean they are Hoosiers.

He's got home field advantage here. He needs to close some of them. It has nothing to do with anything other than that. Geography. As far as your other point, I agree. So far IU has 1 commit for 2017 and he's not better than ANY of the in-state guys. If the team is loaded with out of state players and wins, I don't care where they're from. That said, he has top level players in positions of need just down the road from campus. He needs to close some of them.

Pretty amazing a kid like McIntosh - who was all-frosh (2015) and Honorable Mention (2016). - didn't get an offer, but Gelon does.

Not saying McIntosh is a premier athlete or anything, but if you've seen him play he makes up for any athletic shortcomings (not a bad athlete IMO, just not great) with stellar ball-handling and PG skills. Point is, he has plenty of game and upside.

This is not an attempt to bash Grant; from all accounts, he (and his family) seem like solid people. But the kid's game is more suited to the MAC than the B1G. That's just the truth.

Crean is supposed to be this great recruiter. Yet how many really GREAT recruits has he brought in to IU? Cody? Vonleh & Yogi, maybe - although neither were as polished as Zeller was, especially Vonleh. Crean wants to play the style that UNC & UK do, but doesn't recruit to that level. Not has he shown the ability to coach guys UP to that level AS A TEAM.

Which is why some of us shake our collective heads when we see offers to kids like Gelon. If your goal is to be "elite" - as Fred Glass stated was the objective - do your really think you'll do that consistently recruiting the way Crean does? I don't.
CTC s getting IU closer and closer to "elte."

Just a few years ago many people here were crying that they wanted IU to compete for a Big 10 championships on a regular basis and he has done that. Now he is working on taking the next step.

Just a couple of years ago, people were saying they wanted CTC to recruit more players who stay 3 and 4 years and he Is dong that.

In the past people said they wanted CTC to develop players so that they show improvement and he is doing that.

Last year people were saying the wanted CTC to recruit players who the Hoosier Nation can be proud of both on and off the court and to bring discipline back to the team. He has taken steps to do that.

All of the above have collectively made IU a better team. As IU becomes more successful, CTC will recruit more 4 and 5 star players.

He's got home field advantage here. He needs to close some of them. It has nothing to do with anything other than that. Geography. As far as your other point, I agree. So far IU has 1 commit for 2017 and he's not better than ANY of the in-state guys. If the team is loaded with out of state players and wins, I don't care where they're from. That said, he has top level players in positions of need just down the road from campus. He needs to close some of them.
Ft Wayne ahs never been kind to IU. SO WIlliams isn't a home court advantage.

So tell me, doesn't Notre Dame also have "home-court advantage"? Doesn't Purdue also have "home-court advantage"? Doesn't Butler also have "home-court advantage"? It seems to me that several D1 teams share this so-called "home-court" advantage.

CTC s getting IU closer and closer to "elte.".

No, org, they're not.

Crean is in year 8, and makes elite money. But he doesn't produce elite results - mainly because he wants to play the style UNC & UK does, but he can't develop the players he recruits to a level to produce elite teams consistently.

Unless something changes, the results won't change. BTW - just WHY when you have all the elite talent available in-state in the '17 & '18 classes would you look ANYWHERE else? Didn't Crean say he was gonna lock down the borders when he got the IU job?

No, org, they're not.

Crean is in year 8, and makes elite money. But he doesn't produce elite results - mainly because he wants to play the style UNC & UK does, but he can't develop the players he recruits to a level to produce elite teams consistently.

Unless something changes, the results won't change. BTW - just WHY when you have all the elite talent available in-state in the '17 & '18 classes would you look ANYWHERE else? Didn't Crean say he was gonna lock down the borders when he got the IU job?
If you don't think winning 3 Big 10 championships in 5 years is getting "closer" then we have no room to discuss this any further.

And, CTC is looking HARD at in state talent. If you haven't noticed this, then we have no room to discuss this any further.

I think CTC has offered almost every one, if not EVERY, high ranking in-state talent. However, MHO, it would be foolish to put all of IU's recruiting efforts into only in-state recruits.

Just a few years ago many people here were crying that they wanted IU to compete for a Big 10 championships on a regular basis and he has done that. Now he is working on taking the next step.

Just a couple of years ago, people were saying they wanted CTC to recruit more players who stay 3 and 4 years and he Is dong that.

In the past people said they wanted CTC to develop players so that they show improvement and he is doing that.

Last year people were saying the wanted CTC to recruit players who the Hoosier Nation can be proud of both on and off the court and to bring discipline back to the team. He has taken steps to do that.

All of the above have collectively made IU a better team. As IU becomes more successful, CTC will recruit more 4 and 5 star players.

It's year 9 man. How long are we gonna sit back and wait for elite to happen? Theres always some excuse from this side of the fan base. Some people are ok with mediocrity, I get it. I'm not and A LoT of other iu fans aren't either. You can't just say u want to be the best - you have to do what's necessary to get there. I know what's next.."well who can we get right now that's better than crean?" My response would be lets find out. This is Indiana. We can be elite. May take a few guys to hire and fire but we can get there. U think uk, duke, Kansas would settle for what we do? Hell no. They would hire and fire until the right guy puts them back on track. It is embarrassing to see what iu has become. Sweet 16s are now ok..what a joke. And before any of u kids starts arguing ethics were not talking strictly bball here. But..I know..excuses are the norm for a lot of ya.

It's year 9 man. How long are we gonna sit back and wait for elite to happen? Theres always some excuse from this side of the fan base. Some people are ok with mediocrity, I get it. I'm not and A LoT of other iu fans aren't either. You can't just say u want to be the best - you have to do what's necessary to get there. I know what's next.."well who can we get right now that's better than crean?" My response would be lets find out. This is Indiana. We can be elite. May take a few guys to hire and fire but we can get there. U think uk, duke, Kansas would settle for what we do? Hell no. They would hire and fire until the right guy puts them back on track. It is embarrassing to see what iu has become. Sweet 16s are now ok..what a joke. And before any of u kids starts arguing ethics were not talking strictly bball here. But..I know..excuses are the norm for a lot of ya.
3 Big 10 Championships in 5 years is NOT mediocrity . . .
And, I am prepared to wait as long as it takes . . .

Feel as you wish . . . but I think you are to busy complaining about what IU is not . . to enjoy what IU is and is going to be.

You will enjoy it when IU gets to "elite" status and so will I. The difference between us is that I will enjoy the journey that gets us there and you will not.

I hope I am wrong and you learn to enjoy our journey.

Last edited:
If you don't think winning 3 Big 10 championships in 5 years is getting "closer" then we have no room to discuss this any further.

And, CTC is looking HARD at in state talent. If you haven't noticed this, then we have no room to discuss this any further.

I think CTC has offered almost every one, if not EVERY, high ranking in-state talent. However, MHO, t would be foolish to put all of IU's recruiting efforts into only in-state recruits.
I'll be putting out some info soon on why the 3 Big 10 title - while great that we won - are hardly indicative of coming close to elite status.

Has Crean offered the in-state guys? Just how many is he in good with? The coach at Indiana has been here 8 years and he doesn't have a major in with the top talent in the state?

We had a discussion on here a couple weeks ago about how Crean is viewed by many of the state HS coaches. They are having an event in Indy this weekend - I would suggest many of you that think Crean has such a great standing among state HS coaches to attend and listen to the coaches. Just the fact that Crean is not the leader for many of these guys ought to be a big red flag for everyone.

I think CTC has offered almost every one, if not EVERY, high ranking in-state talent. However, MHO, it would be foolish to put all of IU's recruiting efforts into only in-state recruits.
2 titles. Oh and the other 7 years failed to finish in top 5? Correct me if I'm wrong..haven't look up the exact numbers. If I'm right and you're ok this..well then we have different goals for iu bball. I wouldn't want u on my team. If I was playing and theses were the results of be pissed while u were saying we're doing great and on the right track..lol

3 Big 10 Championships in 5 years s NOT mediocrity . . .
And there's the problem with iu ball. Youll wait as long as it takes ha. Wow..now that's just sad man. U must not be very competitive

3 Big 10 Championships in 5 years s NOT mediocrity . . .
Actually it is two big ten championships in 4 years but I agree with you that last year was not mediocre. I guess it depends what your definition of elite is. if it is what Duke or UK has done the last 25 years then I will say you guys will be waiting along time because I don't see any coach getting us to that level. If it is to be on the level of MSU then I could see us getting back up to that level but to expect us to be like UK or Duke is a little unrealistic.

It's year 9 man. How long are we gonna sit back and wait for elite to happen?

This last year's team ended up in the top ten. IU is being discussed as Top Ten for next year, with or without Troy. Those are indications of relevance and becoming elite. We will also compete for a fourth Big Ten title in six years. we all want the next banner. Shucking the current path of success for an unknown quantity simply doesn't make sense.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
This last year's team ended up in the top ten. IU is being discussed as Top Ten for next year, with or without Troy. Those are indications of relevance and becoming elite. We will also compete for a fourth Big Ten title in six years. we all want the next banner. Shucking the current path of success for an unknown quantity simply doesn't make sense.
where are you getting the 4th in 6 years since Crean has only won 2 in 13 and 16 so if we win next year it will be 3rd in 5 years.

Reactions: hgdownunder
Too many things can happen in a year or two, Bryant , Davis, maybe OG will be gone, Priller will grad as well as Hartman, Troy will for sure be gone, plus I am sure the coaching staff really know which players are really interested in IU. Sometimes you don't waste your time recruiting certain kids because they are not going to be really interested. You need to take some of the two or three star players to fill out you roster and hopefully with experience and knowing the program, they can provide a need for the team down the road.

Yes, but I think most people would rather us compete on a near-yearly basis, not just regularly if the years in-between are dumpster fires.

[QUOTE\]Just a couple of years ago, people were saying they wanted CTC to recruit more players who stay 3 and 4 years and he Is dong that.[/QUOTE]

I think the issue most people saw is that they may have wanted to stay 4 years, but .... they really weren't given the option.

[QUOTE\]
Last year people were saying the wanted CTC to recruit players who the Hoosier Nation can be proud of both on and off the court and to bring discipline back to the team. He has taken steps to do that.[/QUOTE]

Well, we've made it through Little 500. Yah!

And what if he shoots like Matt Roth or Nick Zeisloft? You have no idea what he will become and neither do I but I do know most college coaches are smarter at evaluating players then you or I. That includes Tom Crean. Oladipo, Anunoby, and Morgan were not top recruits but they have turned out to be much better then most thought when Crean signed them!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT