ADVERTISEMENT

The offense is very young

newIUfan

Benchwarmer
Aug 3, 2012
Too many people complaining about Debord. The offense is very young, and in some cases of only moderate talent. Remember Debord did not recruit most of this talent. I thought the line did a good job yesterday protecting the QB. Ellison showing signs of being a good Big 10 back, and I think Ramsey has the look of a winner.
O-line (2 deep for last several games)
Cronk- So.
Martin- Jr.
Littlejohn- So.
Nworah- Fr.
Stepaniak- So.
B. Knight- Jr.
D. Baker- Jr.

QB- Ramsey- Fr.

RB- (Who carried the ball yesterday)
Ellison- Fr.
Gest- Fr.

Receivers- (Who played yesterday)
Cobbs- Jr.
Watercutter- Jr.
Philyor- Fr.
Timian- Jr
Harris- Jr.
Mack- Fr.

There is not a single senior in IU's starting lineup. The problem of running an offense is everyone must carry out their assignment effectively or the play will often not work, and it can be difficult to figure out who missed their assignment or read. Lastly for those who are complaining about the play calling go back and look at the play with 9:28 left in the 3rd, IU tied 3-3 at their own 11 Harris is wide open on a fly pattern, anything close to hitting him in stride would be a TD, and the pass is 8 yards over thrown. Perfect call, great execution by 10 players, and nothing (not being hard on Ramsey, but that is not on the coach. If Sudfeld had thrown that ball it would have been 6, and Ramsey will make those throws in the future with experience).

Reactions: 76-1 and ESalum86
Ramsey has no business being a Big Ten QB. He can't throw the ball other than short passes. The long game is mostly neutered with him at QB.

The bigger question that needs addressed ASAP, is why can't iu recruit a legit QB.

Reactions: IUfbfan67
Ramsey has no business being a Big Ten QB. He can't throw the ball other than short passes. The long game is mostly neutered with him at QB.

The bigger question that needs addressed ASAP, is why can't iu recruit a legit QB.

Actually he can. His arm strength is fine. The scheme doesn't allow the opportunities.

Reactions: IUgradman
Actually he can. His arm strength is fine. The scheme doesn't allow the opportunities.

I’d like to see him make a couple throws down field before I say he can’t do it. Last weeks press conference CTA indicated dropping him back to throw was suicide against Mich. I tend to believe the blocking is effecting the downfield play making....no time for the routes to develop....

Debord is the problem. I don't care if Joe Montana was at qb. We weren't going to run it up the gut and score. Debord should be suspended for at least a game based on that performance. Just awful

Ramsey had two down-field opportunities yesterday both of which could end up as a touchdown. He under threw the first and over threw the second. Hit one and the game outcome may have been different.

Ramsey is very green. Can't expect a 2 star recruit to be All Big Ten as a freshman. Brandon Peters is a 4 star at Michigan and can't beat out a hack like John O'Korn.

Reactions: wakeman26
Too many people complaining about Debord. The offense is very young, and in some cases of only moderate talent. Remember Debord did not recruit most of this talent. I thought the line did a good job yesterday protecting the QB. Ellison showing signs of being a good Big 10 back, and I think Ramsey has the look of a winner.
Cronk- So.
Martin- Jr.
Littlejohn- So.
Nworah- Fr.
Stepaniak- So.
B. Knight- Jr.
D. Baker- Jr.

QB- Ramsey- Fr.

Ellison- Fr.
Gest- Fr.

Cobbs- Jr.
Watercutter- Jr.
Philyor- Fr.
Timian- Jr
Harris- Jr.
Mack- Fr.

There is not a single senior in IU's starting lineup. The problem of running an offense is everyone must carry out their assignment effectively or the play will often not work, and it can be difficult to figure out who missed their assignment or read. Lastly for those who are complaining about the play calling go back and look at the play with 9:28 left in the 3rd, IU tied 3-3 at their own 11 Harris is wide open on a fly pattern, anything close to hitting him in stride would be a TD, and the pass is 8 yards over thrown. Perfect call, great execution by 10 players, and nothing (not being hard on Ramsey, but that is not on the coach. If Sudfeld had thrown that ball it would have been 6, and Ramsey will make those throws in the future with experience).
There's decent skill, but there are no game changers, and they are very modestly talented up front. Combine that with the decision to go with Ramsey, which has basically eliminated the downfield passing game, and IU's challenges aren't difficult to understand.

DeBord has decided to focus on the basics, limit turnovers, play field position, and hope that a good defense can keep them in games. But defenses don't respect IU's ability to throw the ball, and they're stacking the box and going man as a demonstration of how little concern they have for it.

The result is that IU has trouble winning first and second down, making third a monumental challenge. If you want to blame MD, blame him for taking Lagow to the bench and completely changing the focus of the offense. It's not working.

Lagow sucks. He has no mobility, he turns the ball over, and his downfield accuracy is comical.

Cronk- So.
Martin- Jr.
Littlejohn- So.
Nworah- Fr.
Stepaniak- So.
B. Knight- Jr.
D. Baker- Jr.

QB- Ramsey- Fr.

Ellison- Fr.
Gest- Fr.

Cobbs- Jr.
Watercutter- Jr.
Philyor- Fr.
Timian- Jr
Harris- Jr.
Mack- Fr.

Keep hearing that O-Line is terrible, young, injured(insert excuse here).... Keep hearing that Debord should get a pass on this year because of this. What I a wondering however, if Debord is so capable, why would he choose to rely so heavily on this insufficient O-Line by running the ball up the middle three straight times when close to the goal line and up only 6-3. You would think he could realize that this path is unlikely to be successful. If this problem is so obvious to everyone else. Just sayin.

Probably dumb question here, but anyone know how quarterback strength development works? In college, can a quarterback develop extra strength to throw a longer ball or is that something you have or don't have by that age?

Speaking of young, how about the play where the quarterback had to settle down his freshman running back Ellison in order to avoid an unsportsmanlike conduct when they were on the goal line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT