ADVERTISEMENT

The North Carolina game will not be pretty.

Obviously, Carolina hitting 4 threes at the beginning of the game was a huge blow to IU's game plan. My only question is why wouldn't CTC not expect Marcus Paige to hit 3s? He was the only player on Carolina's team that consistently hit 3s.
didn't he shoot poorly last year until that game. I thought he shot in the los 30% last year form 3.

Oh Lord. I think we've proven we can beat anybody. The problem is the let downs and lack of focus against lesser teams.

Stop acting like we are incapable of ever winning again after one loss. We beat Kansas for goodness sakes. Away from Bloomington. We know how good the team can be.

Oh Lord -- i don't think we've proven much of anything until we win big preconf, during conf, and in the postseason. A trifecta that has eluded our well paid coach to date.

but let's hang a banner for the KU win anyway. lol

didn't he shoot poorly last year until that game. I thought he shot in the los 30% last year form 3.

Paige shot .279 from 3 during ACC play last year, but was 18-41 during the NCAA Tournament for about 45%

Something I would like to point out from the other thread...

On Feb 26, 2000, IU beat #5 MSU in overtime. Frosh Kyle Hornsby played a key role in the victory, providing 27 minutes, 10 pts, 5 rebs, 2 assists and 2 steals

On Feb 29, 2000 IU beat #20 Purdue. Soph Dane Fife played a key role in the victory, providing 34 minutes, 10 pts, 5 rebs, 6 assists and 1 steal... hitting both of his 3 point shots.

I just want to point out that by the end of the 2000 season, both Fife and Hornsby were already showing glimpses of the important roles that they would fill in coming seasons. Just looking at last years stats line doesn't show the true value of OG and Juwan either. By the end of the season we were seeing glimpses of what they would become in bigger roles.

Reactions: schmib
Oh Lord -- i don't think we've proven much of anything until we win big preconf, during conf, and in the postseason. A trifecta that has eluded our well paid coach to date.

but let's hang a banner for the KU win anyway. lol
Oh Lord,

Someone brought out the tired old "Hang a Banner" reference again. Tire of this as much as "Drink the Koolaid" and "Playing Sisters of the Poor" that are so popular on this board.

I think we have proven that the fan base lacks originality.

Obviously, Carolina hitting 4 threes at the beginning of the game was a huge blow to IU's game plan. My only question is why wouldn't CTC not expect Marcus Paige to hit 3s? He was the only player on Carolina's team that consistently hit 3s.
He entered the NCAAT shooting 28%. He was consistent....As in consistently missing.

Oh Lord,

Someone brought out the tired old "Hang a Banner" reference again. Tire of this as much as "Drink the Koolaid" and "Playing Sisters of the Poor" that are so popular on this board.

I think we have proven that the fan base lacks originality.
He is just a troll. We live in the age of trolls.

Tha
From what I had read and heard, Crean had turned the defense over to Coach Martin. Whether that is true or not IDK, and as you said ultimately it falls upon Crean.

Even after the Kansas game I was still sounding the horn on this team - because I saw some of the same things that were issues last year, really too much of the time under Crean. We struggle to keep the ball in front of us, in part because of the things I mentioned above. We gave up 30 to Mason, the majority of which he got on drives to the bucket (either getting fouled or converting). We haven't done a good job of defending, to be quite frank about it.

I'm sorry if I come off overly-pessimistic, or a know-it-all. I want to see this team be a top program again. But to do so, there are things missing from our play that will limit the chances of us doing so. Hate to say it, but it's the truth.

Let me share with you a bit of how I watch the game. I got to know a lot of people - smart basketball people - while being involved in HS/AAU over the past 7 years, and a conversation I had with a coach changed the way I look at basketball.

"Tell me", he said, "just how do you win a basketball game?"

"Huh?" I replied, thinking it was a trick question. "I guess you outscore the other team, right?"

"Yeah", he said, "but just how do you do that?"

"I don't know . . . guess I'd never really thought about how".

He then proceeded to tell me: "There are 4 stats in basketball that tell me everything I need to know about how I'm doing in a game - 1) Field Goal Attempts; 2) effective FG percentage (which is 2 pt FG made + [3 pt FG made * 1.5] / FGA) ; 3) Free Throw Attempts; 4) FT percentage. If you are doing better than your opponent in each segment, you're winning the game. Every. Single. Time".

We then would discuss teams and how the way they play affects those stats. The only one of those 4 you don't control is FT % of your opponent (although we do have a strength coach that would bark at opposing players at the line :rolleyes:). The key is to get as many "shots on goal" so to speak and to make the most of those, while in return limiting the opponent.

A look at our loss to IPFW is a great illustration of this. We actually out-shot the Mastadons overall (45.97% eFG vs 45.89% for them), shot 19 FT attempts to their 7 and hit slightly better at the line (57.9% to 57.1%). We won 3 of the four - so what went wrong?

Turnovers. We had 15, compared to only 8 for IPFW. That in large part led to a discrepancy in FG attempts in favor of IPFW - 73 to 62. They got 11 more attempts with 7 of them directly off of gifts via our slopping ball-handling. You CANNOT give away the ball (and precious scoring opportunities) like this and then be shocked if you lose. Play like this almost invites a loss.

That's why I'm so critical of Crean - because HOW he likes to play makes it harder to be successful consistently. You cannot play D like we do and not take care of the ball like we do and expect to be really good. You might LOOK good when the shots are falling (Kansas this year; Michigan last year) but IMHO it will catch up to you sooner or later.

BTW - send me an email address and I can send you an Excel file on how I have this set up, if you're interested.
Thank you Tas. It was a good read. I guess the question is how to get them to play defense as the importance of defense and turnovers isn't lost on them.

Tha

Thank you Tas. It was a good read. I guess the question is how to get them to play defense as the importance of defense and turnovers isn't lost on them.
Stat line:

37 rebounds (tied UNC)
16 Turnovers (12 UNC)

THAT'S how you win basketball games. Very little to complain about in this one (couple of bad fouls).

Wish every game was played in SSAH. Our energy level showed in our defense. To hold them to 67 points is a outstanding job.

Last edited:
Reactions: fx400 and YOTHN
I have no idea why anyone would have thought we wouldn't win that game. Have you not paid attention to what happens when we play ranked teams at AH?

I said we'd roll big a week ago. When was the last time we had a good team and lost to a top 10 team in the Hall? Just doesn't happen. Our only problem is that the NCAA tournament isn't played at Assembly Hall.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
I said we'd roll big a week ago. When was the last time we had a good team and lost to a top 10 team in the Hall? Just doesn't happen. Our only problem is that the NCAA tournament isn't played at Assembly Hall.

We did just beat Kansas on a neutral court.....

Really?

It's been noted that UNC was not a great 3-point shooting team, ranking 268th in the country from long range . . . YET the ONLY reason they were able to beat us was due to them "getting lucky" and hitting a bunch of 3's?

So, how did they win 30 games (up to that point)? How did they win the ACC - both RS and tournament? How did they get a #1 seed?

You're ASSUMING that - had they missed those treys - IU would have automatically gotten the rebounds. So did you know that UNC ranked in the top 10 in rebounding last year? And they have for many years - it's what ALLOWS them to play that style successfully.

But you all believe what you want . . .

Hmmm, Bump after Iu win

Oh it was a thing of beauty. One of if not the best game I've attended.

15? Lol. Home court means a great deal in College basketball and IU has a terrific team this season so I expect a great game.
Carolina WILL NOT be blown out. They were 29-7 last season with the 7 losses TOTALING 17 points. Should be a classic.

Lol back at ya!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT