ADVERTISEMENT

The NCAA Trophy stays in Indiana - ND National Champs

iub

Freshman
May 5, 2004
Notre Dame won their first national title; the first time another team in the state has won it besides us.

I am happy for their coach Bobby Clark- who is all class and a really great guy. Nice to see a great guy have this kind of success towards the end of his career. He's a college coaching lifer- been coaching NCAA soccer for about 30 years.

Buuuuut...this can only serve to hurt IU when it comes to recruiting in-state and around the midwest. Now I don't think that the top players in the state or midwest are suddenly going to pick ND over IU, but it certainly gives ND some real credence when they are going after those players.

ND played well but got very fortunate not to have been called for TWO hand balls in the box. On the first one, a guy cleared a ball off the line that was on it's way into the net with his arm. The good news for Maryland is that they corralled the rebound and then knocked it in. But if they call the hand ball on the goal line like they're supposed to, the player is red carded (like Suarez in the WC a few years back) and UM may very well score anyway on the ensuing PK. A 1-0 lead and a 1-man advantage might have been enough to win it for UM. Then while clinging to a 2-1 lead with 15 left, a ball skipped across ND's 6-yd box, a defender stuck his arm out in front of him and the ball clearly struck his hand and changed directions. No call. Both of them were right in front of the ref so no excuse or justification not to call them.

Yeesh, I didn't think about that either!

Yeah life is definitely getting tougher for the Hoosiers and the Big Ten. And after such a down year, it only makes it harder. But IU has been the single best college soccer program in the past 40 years, so hopefully we'll weather this storm and get back on top ourselves.

On the bright side, getting to see an annual IU v Maryland match will sure be fun.

Those hand balls should really tarnish that win. But since it's ND ...

they probably think it was fate.

No way can you overlook or minimize the effect of two terribly, terribly God-awful calls IMHO. Game decided by the refs. Just awful IMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT