ADVERTISEMENT

The KEY to Woody’s success

baileyiu

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 6, 2001
His assistants:
Tonagel - assoc HC - great connections to Indiana HS coaches & great X & O guy; Kenya Hunter - great recruiter & will help keep current players in portal (Stewart, Franklin, Thompson, Lander; 3rd assistant a recruiter with Midwest ties

Reactions: BHAII
His assistants:
Tonagel - assoc HC - great connections to Indiana HS coaches & great X & O guy; Kenya Hunter - great recruiter & will help keep current players in portal (Stewart, Franklin, Thompson, Lander; 3rd assistant a recruiter with Midwest ties
I just assumed that they were waiting for Gonzaga, Arkansas and Baylor to finish so that Few, Mussleman and Drew could round out the staff.

Kidding aside...I don't see it happening, but, Tonagel is a tremendous coach.

His assistants:
I wonder if he tries to keep the current assistants who are reportedly still on the job. I'd guess he's going to interview all of them and decide who he wants to keep and who he decides to let go. If I'm betting, I'm betting he keeps Kenya Hunter and Roberts and the rest are gone. I also think he'll try to keep most of the players in the portal. I think Durham has his mind set on playing close to home in Georgia, and I think that's great for him, but most, if not all of the rest can be persuaded to stay.

Lewis smart,tough as nails, relentless. Tonagel- tremendous.Hunter- I hope he's as great a recruiter as some say because the big guy that left UConn didn't follow him to IU. Might need a midwest type of recruiter from Illinois or Ohio if Hunter isn't the guy. I'd love to see the cream rise to the top again.

Reactions: 76-1 and ufo33
I just assumed that they were waiting for Gonzaga, Arkansas and Baylor to finish so that Few, Mussleman and Drew could round out the staff.

Kidding aside...I don't see it happening, but, Tonagel is a tremendous coach.
More important, Tonagel is a
tremendous person and leader.

The hiring of assistants is the whole key to this. He needs to hire guys who are familiar with the College Game and recruiting in today's environment. That may mean not turning your Staff into the IU Alumni Fraternity, and having several guys who will challenge him and not be "Yes" Men. It also means He can't let his Ego get in the way. He can't be afraid to hire guys who may be more knowledgeable than he is and are Head Coaching Material. With NBa experience and age 63, you have to think this is his last stop on the Merry Go Round, He probably doesn't need to show he is the Sharpest Knife in the Drawer day in and day out.

Dolson brought Matta on board to assist Woodson with aspects of the college game that Woodson is not familiar with, particularly recruiting. Matta is fully aware that assistants with a great degree of experience in recruiting will be essential to this entire experiment working out. That doesn't necessarily mean those assistants have to be "IU guys" like Mike Lewis or Dane Fife. IU simply needs assistants who are skilled at navigating the recruiting waters and well versed in the college game.

His assistants:
World Wide Wes? lol. Being with the Knicks he's probably got some type of relationship with him.

Lewis smart,tough as nails, relentless. Tonagel- tremendous.Hunter- I hope he's as great a recruiter as some say because the big guy that left UConn didn't follow him to IU. Might need a midwest type of recruiter from Illinois or Ohio if Hunter isn't the guy. I'd love to see the cream rise to the top again.
Lewis definitely, he's still in play, but I think he'd sign on as soon as he's not. Tonagel, I know little about. I'd like to see Calbert or Keith considered too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT