ADVERTISEMENT

The Good, The Bad, and The ....

You may be right..., but personally I have a hard time believing that the one quarter effort we put on the field yesterday is good enough to beat any team in the Big Ten (aside from our own)...

Hopefully Cignetti can get things straightened out over the next two weeks before we head out to Pasadena... It would be a damn shame to leave a W on the field out there that could be ours with a 4 quarter + effort...

I've never understood how a player could put in the type of work that they do from Winter Conditioning, to Spring Ball, to Summer Conditioning, to Fall Camp and then waste it all for themselves and their teammates by simply losing focus on their assignment(s) when the ball is actually snapped live... To not be able to fully focus on a goal that you've been working that hard towards achieving when it's in your grasp is simply mind boggling to me...

Here's hoping Cignetti can find a way to deposit the prevailing culture into the nearest trash bin and get these players on track for sustained success sooner rather than later...
The biggest improvement is often game one to game two. Maybe FIU’s defense deserves some credit for competing in the second half, and not giving up 3-4 2nd half TDs. They could have given up, and let that happen. Mostly, I’d say IU’s execution suffered more.

The biggest improvement is often game one to game two. Maybe FIU’s defense deserves some credit for competing in the second half, and not giving up 3-4 2nd half TDs. They could have given up, and let that happen. Mostly, I’d say IU’s execution suffered more.

UCLA out there will give us the answer...

We both have two weeks to prepare and while UCLA has a bye, we may actually have what amounts to the better end of the stick with what should be just a glorified scrimmage against Western Illinois...

Should be interesting to see whether this Team is serious about competing at the highest levels or if they're just happy with their NIL deals and okay with going through the motions...

We both have two weeks to prepare and while UCLA has a bye, we may actually have what amounts to the better end of the stick with what should be just a glorified scrimmage against Western Illinois...

Should be interesting to see whether this Team is serious about competing at the highest levels or if they're just happy with their NIL deals and okay with going through the motions...
I'm pretty sure coach Cignetti will not be satisfied with anyone on his team going through the motions.

I'm pretty sure coach Cignetti will not be satisfied with anyone on his team going through the motions.

Correct, but he and his Staff can't get out there and play for them...

At some point the players have to take it upon themselves to be their best for an entire game and actually dominate an opponent..., while not being just happy to have picked up some stats and maybe make a highlight reel for a couple of decent individual plays...

UCLA out there will give us the answer as to whether this Team is all hype and no substance, or not, in my opinion...

Correct, but he and his Staff can't get out there and play for them...

At some point the players have to take it upon themselves to be their best for an entire game and actually dominate an opponent..., while not being just happy to have picked up some stats and maybe make a highlight reel for a couple of decent individual plays...

UCLA out there will give us the answer as to whether this Team is all hype and no substance, or not, in my opinion...
Do you really think coach CIG will allow that?

Yes, I think playing the Leathernecks (on Friday no less) is to IU’s advantage.
Lots of rotation players should get to practice their assignments and minimize mental errors at UCLA.
I think UCLA winning badly in Honolulu was better for IU than a bad loss.
As long NIL dollars doesn’t guarantee playing time too… I think CCC and staff are too smart for that … personal pride, effort, and on the field results will be relied upon to allocate game reps.

Do you really think coach CIG will allow that?

I think he'll do his best not to allow it but getting someone to focus on what is theoretically their craft for an entire game these days seems a Herculean task..., especially when they have family, friends, and hangers on telling them how wonderful they were for only doing a quarter of the job well...

One thing that is Very encouraging is seeing Cignetti play a Walk-On (Turvy) ahead of scholarship players... That's the old theory of "ass meets bench" type of motivation..., and the players decide if they're going to get back out there or not... Only the guy who gets it done in practice gets to see the field..., and then they have to produce...

Last edited:
OK, Everybody back away from the ledge. Let's look at this in perspective in terms of what went on around the Country Yesterday.
1. Michigan playing at Home against Fresno State. New Quarterbacks, New Offensive Line and trouble moving the ball. they are leading 16-13 halfway through the 4th Quarter. They finally get a long drive for a touchdown, followed by a long interception return for a TD to break the game open. They have things that need to be corrected with Texas coming in next week.
2. Oregon playing at Home against Idaho. They are in a 3 point game into the 4th Quarter, and finally get a score to widen the margin.
3. Notre Dame at Texas A&M in a tight Defensive struggle. Notre Dame wins the game, but has to overcome over 100 yards of penalties to do so.
4. Virginia Tech goes to Vanderbilt and loses in overtime. Virginia Tech fans are outraged and calling for a Coaching change.
My point is there are some really good teams out there that didn't have clean games and need to correct problems. We are not alone.
The good news is that everything that I saw is correctable. The thing that encourages me is that I didn't see any stupid plays or penalties. No late hits two seconds after the fact and no Defensive holding Penalties by Db's out of position with no clue of the system or how to play the position.
I’ll wait for 2-3 games. New coach, new system, new culture and a shitload of new players. It’s not like we’re Alabama with 4-5* players top to bottom. First game isn’t going to be like that.

I think he'll do his best not to allow it but getting someone to focus on what is theoretically their craft for an entire game these days seems a Herculean task..., especially when they have family, friends, and hangers on telling them how wonderful they were for only doing a quarter of the job well...

One thing that is Very encouraging is seeing Cignetti play a Walk-On (Turvy) ahead of scholarship players... That's the old theory of "ass meets bench" type of motivation..., and the players decide if they're going to get back out there or not... Only the guy who gets it done in practice gets to see the field..., and then they have to produce...
In reference to your first paragraph, I have the feeling those players won't be playing for long.

Mostly happy and optimistic on how the game went, and on how we looked. Main reasons being…

1. We were obviously ready to play. Good chance that speaks to how they have been practicing and preparing.

2. The game was never in doubt, against a Florida based FBS team. In most years past, the penalties and drops would have led to a much more competitive game. While this one got frustrating, it never got desperate or dicey.

3. Defense looks very fast and physical. It’s what the good Tom Allen teams looked like, without the missed tackles and blown coverages.

4. Depth of legitimate talent is obviously better. That’s how we sustain an injury or two, and still compete or beat teams like Maryland, Nebraska, or Purdue as the season wears on.

It wasn’t perfect. Far from it. But the fact that it wasn’t, and we handily beat an FBS opponent…might mean Cigs IU program is already different.

That kind of mentality is what got us only 3 of them last Fall...

If that's your standard then, by all means, enjoy it... I sure hope none of our players feel that way.
We have way 2 many so-call fans , who are negative nancies. Baby steps ,we are not coming out with a 10 win season. Although that would be nice.

The Good:

We won in spite of errors that probably would have caused us to lose games in the past...

The D looked good to great at times (but my judgment is being withheld overall until after we play a couple of Big Ten games)...

Cignetti was clearly ticked off by the subpar aspects of the game and will have plenty of coaching points to hit on (with sincerity)over the next two weeks...

The next game (Western Ill) is the perfect opponent to simply focus on pure fundamentals against...

UCLA (game 3 @ The Rose Bowl) looks beatable (and probably would have lost against Hawaii if their QB hadn't been injured)...

The Bad:

Fill in the blank ___________
&
If we play the way we did yesterday we'll lose most, if not all, of our Big Ten games...

The Really Ugly:

Our receivers can't drop that many balls and expect us to be able to win against any Big Ten team...

Our backup C needs to learn how to snap the ball under pressure...

Our OL needs to cut their penalties by two thirds and while they're at it learn how to pass block or we're in for a long, ugly, disappointing Big Ten schedule...

The Good News is:
///We have two weeks of practices and what amounts to a scrimmage next Friday before we head to Cali... Let's hope our guys can get their sh-t together by then...///

Just a couple of thoughts about the IU team----

--Although all the TBs looked capable, I thought Lawton had an extra gear. I felt that he was a cut above the others...

--Although no one player on the DL dominated, they all looked good individually and even more so as a unit.

--For some reason I thought Rourke was a little quicker than he is. That's just on me. He is plenty big and strong, and played a pretty intelligent game.

--I was shocked at how fast Fisher was on that 'targeting' play. He was very impressive overall, although they did run through his vacated hole on the long run in the 2nd quarter,

--Horton reminds me of guys Wisconsin has had over the years that aren't overly impressive physically but just know how to beat you. So productive.

--Although he's not as good as Fisher, Walker was better that I feared he might be. He looked capable and versatile.

--Looks like Cooper & Price are going to be the two top WRs......Cross is at least a little better than Coby, and did have that one great catch. I hope McCully gets off the coach's s***list and is able to contribute. Is Williams still hurt??

Mostly happy and optimistic on how the game went, and on how we looked. Main reasons being…

1. We were obviously ready to play. Good chance that speaks to how they have been practicing and preparing.

2. The game was never in doubt, against a Florida based FBS team. In most years past, the penalties and drops would have led to a much more competitive game. While this one got frustrating, it never got desperate or dicey.

3. Defense looks very fast and physical. It’s what the good Tom Allen teams looked like, without the missed tackles and blown coverages.

4. Depth of legitimate talent is obviously better. That’s how we sustain an injury or two, and still compete or beat teams like Maryland, Nebraska, or Purdue as the season wears on.

It wasn’t perfect. Far from it. But the fact that it wasn’t, and we handily beat an FBS opponent…might mean Cigs IU program is already different.

I like your point #1. Of all the crazy things going on the last two years with CTA, not showing up ready to play was the strangest.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Give me a ________ break...

We play a little more than a quarter of decent football and then go thru the motions for most of the next three (aside from several bright spots in the run game) and I'm expected to be doing back flips and cart wheels...

That was supposed to be the New INDIANA but what I saw was a whole lot of the old Indiana...

8 penalties, so many dropped passes I actually lost count, and matador pass protection are all things painfully reminiscent of the way we've been playing for the past several years and I, for one, am sick of watching that ____...

The original post was simply my objective view of what I saw on the field and my analysis of where that type of continued effort will lead us if it's not rectified over the next two weeks... If you disagree fine, but don't Tell me what I ought to be happy with...

Once again, if we don't find a way to get a whole lot better, and fast, we'll end up struggling mightily against an early Big Ten schedule that we should otherwise be fairly competitive against...

Hopefully the Staff and the Team will show quite a bit more recognition of their issues and an much greater urgency towards attempting to correct them then a few of the fan base do...
It's the first game with a lot of new players. The improvement will come as it is obvious the coaching has improved. Rourke, our running backs and receivers are more talented and better coached this year. We had receivers creating room to catch the ball and an opportunity to get some YAC. The OL in their first game together created holes to run through. The pass blocking will need to improve and I trust this staff will make that a priority.It might not have been exciting in the second half, but I liked us running the ball when we were being successful doing so. That will be a smart thing to do at some point this season. Watch for it

This game showed what a mess our last staff was. I saw someone with an LEO hat on and I wanted to rip it off his head. I can't wait for Friday to see what progress has been made on the penalties.

Just a couple of thoughts about the IU team----

--Although all the TBs looked capable, I thought Lawton had an extra gear. I felt that he was a cut above the others...

--Although no one player on the DL dominated, they all looked good individually and even more so as a unit.

--For some reason I thought Rourke was a little quicker than he is. That's just on me. He is plenty big and strong, and played a pretty intelligent game.

--I was shocked at how fast Fisher was on that 'targeting' play. He was very impressive overall, although they did run through his vacated hole on the long run in the 2nd quarter,

--Horton reminds me of guys Wisconsin has had over the years that aren't overly impressive physically but just know how to beat you. So productive.

--Although he's not as good as Fisher, Walker was better that I feared he might be. He looked capable and versatile.

--Looks like Cooper & Price are going to be the two top WRs......Cross is at least a little better than Coby, and did have that one great catch. I hope McCully gets off the coach's s***list and is able to contribute. Is Williams still hurt??
I think the WR production this year will be by committee. One of the best catches of the day was our over the shoulder by the RB, Ellison. The TE will be used.
I think we are just scratching the surface.

Both Coby and Price had drops that really good WRs catch in traffic. Have to improve that.

I don’t think it’s as big as Hep’s rock. Yesterday’s offense may not have been good enough to beat the Terp’s in College Park. It was likely good enough to beat the Bruins, assuming the defense holds UCLA under 20.

It was the first game with over half the roster being new with a whole new coaching staff in a new offense.

If Roarke doesn't turn the ball over and we can run the ball effectively, we'll be alright.

We have way 2 many so-call fans , who are negative nancies. Baby steps ,we are not coming out with a 10 win season. Although that would be nice.

Will, people can still be fans and point out negatives (while pointing out positives which pretty much everyone did it this thread).

Pointing out a negative doesn't mean someone isn't a fan.

"He was very impressive overall, although they did run through his vacated hole on the long run in the 2nd quarter"

I'm not an X&O guy, but that play came right at us in the N End Zone. Live it looked like the safety got sucked in and was out of position.
Haven't seen a replay to confirm that thought. Anyone else get that from watching the play?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT